Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deegw

From the building forum - modern farm house

deegw
9 years ago

Saw this in the sidebar and thought the decorating forum would appreciate it. Here is a link to the thread in the home building forum:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/build/msg111850187009.html?13

Below is a direct link to the pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern farm house

Comments (20)

• awm03
    9 years ago

That was interesting. The home was designed to be a spare beauty with built in efficiency galore. Yet human nature creeps into the picture: clutter, trash in the trash can, papers on the counter, extra rolls of toilet paper, unmade beds, Diet Cokes & Cheez-its. Where abstract ideals and reality collide.

Four washing machines?! Wow! Either that family is doing laundry for all the farm employees or the mother has an unusual fear of cross contamination.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I think that is two sets of washer dryers, awm.

Did not realize this was a GWer's home.

This post was edited by kswl on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 17:32

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

I like it ...

• allison0704
    9 years ago

I think it's nicely done. And since it's not the norm, it won't be appreciated by many. Love the way the bookcases light up at night and the fixture over table/chairs.

• Joe
    9 years ago

"trash in the trash can" - the horror

• awm03
    9 years ago

re washers: still, what a luxury to have two washers & two dryers. Or even just to have the space for two washers and two dryers. I could have enjoyed that back in the day of perpetual laundry.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think it's one of the most beautifully and carefully executed houses I've ever seen in the Building a House forum and the overall quality of the build puts many of the faux riche overly pimped out houses to shame.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

I knew Pal would appreciate.

We have 2 laundry rooms in our home: 1 main level and 1 lower level. I wouldn't want 4 machines in one room, unless they were hidden. That visual would kill me on a day in/day out basis. I'm weird that way. ;)

• deegw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The owner did mention in the thread that he/she knew some of the photos were not optimal. I suspect the poster is a he or not from the decorating forum species because 90% of the people in this forum would have pulled up the comforter before taking the picture of the boy's bedroom.

I think the family room decorating is a bit severe or maybe unfinished. LOVE the bookshelves, the woodpile niche, the natural light, the siding and the brindle dog.

PS edited to add, I'd love to see an elevation with the landscape plan.

This post was edited by deee on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 16:46

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

It's no more under furnished than most of the houses on Building a Home--it's more noticeable because the house is plain. And personally, I think some of the others could easily become over-stimulating because there is so much going on already with the interior architecture.

This house is spare but it's not so spare that it's meant to be minimalist, and I think the expanses of white allow for some "spontaneity" with the contents and stuff going on inside.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I thought I was going to open the link and seeâ¦

Oh, I love these wild flowers in this dear land of ours,
    The curlew I love to hear cry,
    And I love the white rocks and the antelope flocks,
    That graze on the mountain slopes high.
    (Brewster Higley)

But I got thisâ¦

Oh I love these flat lands of ours,
    The goffers that I love to hear cry,
    And I love how the bareness mocks and the ant flocks,
    That bit me on top of my thigh.
    (Terri)

But thatâÂÂs the land/setting which I do not like!
    I do appreciate all the thought that went into the conveniences within.

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

I LOVE it. The furnishings, design, floors, etc. LOVE it.

The look I was going for. However, as awm03 stated, human nature creeped into the picture and abstract ideals and reality collided.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I looked at the pics of this house yesterday, and I was so impressed with the thought put into all the storage. Loved the cabinets, closets, and bookcases. My OCD traits would be in heaven. And you could knock out the laundry in no time!

I love the spare, Zen look but I don't think I could live with it. It does make the normal stuff & clutter of living really stand out.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

The light up book cases are my favorite. I very much like the exterior, which to me is similar to a look called "Yankee modern", done by a firm I wanted to use when we were going to be doing a Beachhouse tear down. It's farmhouse but simplified. Particularly nice in this setting.

The interior is a bit more Spartan then I might like but also very nice. Two washers and two dryers is something I always recommend. We have had two sets ever since we had children. In our last house they were all in the basement. In this house one set upstairs and once downstairs. In the scheme of things it's not a huge indulgence but it makes a very big difference in any young family.

It strikes me as furnished just right actually. As for real life, not everybody stages before they photograph , for goodness sakes .... Heck if we make that a requirement we may never see some reveals!

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I could look at that storage for hours. So soothing.
    I love that this farmhouse is actually on a real farm.

• bpath
    9 years ago

The perfectly-staged photos are always great, but balanced with the reality pics, like this, is what I like to see. In a staged photo, the German-made wooden toys would be artistically (dis)arrayed in the kid's bedroom; instead we get Star Wars. So you KNOW it's a real kid's bedroom, and it works for him. A house has to work for us!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I really like it. It looks to me as if it's a young couple with kids who just moved in, don't want a lot of clutter in their lives, haven't had time to do any landscaping yet, and couldn't wait to show it off. Bravo for showing us their reality.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I like it. Like the exterior style, the roof, and the use of natural light in so many rooms. I wouldn't be able to keep the decor pared down.

The only thing that jarred it for me was the lack of storage in the bathroom shot. Bottles stored on the floor. I have a very small MB and am trying to incorporate a ton of storage as well as easy/off the floor storage for shower things. A tall niche would have taken care of it.
    That's not a deal breaker, of course. Just a point I've been concentrating on in my own home.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

My favorite things are the metal roof and the dog! I don't understand why the windows are so small.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I like it a lot; am a fan of the style. Much prefer these "real" shots to some of the overly staged real estate photos I see.

Want to put a rug in that living room/family room though.