Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bryan_boricua

Roofless Interior Patio

Bryan_Boricua
9 years ago

Good evening, saludos desde Puerto Rico!

Here is a photo of my house's roofless interior patio, taken at night (it uploads sideways :/). Like the rest of the house, the architecture and style is Spanish. Of course, to me, it is beautiful as is! Guests always like its uniqueness. Still, it feels like a blank canvas, waiting for a bit of creativity.

I want to do something with the lower level of the interior patio. I've looked for ideas online, but no interior patio has really resembled mine. Still, I found a lot of interesting ideas:
-- A garden
-- A rock garden (See the third image here for an example: http://www.amenagementdesign.com/decoration/idees-pour-creer-jardin-dinterieur-dans-votre-maison) (See eighth image here: http://banella.com/worlds-coolest-indoor-gardens-16-pics/)
-- An arrangement of furniture. Of course, the patio is roofless so the furniture would have to be appropriate.

Another thing: the lower level really dictates walking space. I rarely walk across it when I go through my house. A functional, raised walking space would be a nice addition.

I look forward to sharing ideas!

Comments (32)

• marcolo
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Where the heck do you live, the Alhambra? That's amazing!

My initial reaction is: Don't worry about a walkway. As it is, the big problem with that space is already that it gives you nothing to do except walk through it. You need a space to enjoy it.

I would create a sitting area right in front of the fountain, sparse but comfortable, with everything arranged in a formal, symmetrical fashion to match the rest of the elements. Think low Moroccan couches, or high Spanish thrones. Or four tub chairs in a cross formation, facing each other, mimicking the fountain. Not too many pieces; just enough to invite conversation.

Or, you could pile it with hundreds of silk pillows and drape veils everywhere....No! Stop it!

This post was edited by marcolo on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 22:23

• Bryan_Boricua
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing, Marcolo. I live near San Juan, Puerto Rico. The architect that made this house only made 2 others in PR.

You're right about the walking situation. But when I want to walk from one corner to the other side, you know, I have to take the long way. Whereas if it were a level interior patio, I could just walk right across.

The thing about putting chairs in the middle is they'd have to be plastic or metal. That area is roofless, so Moroccan couches would get soaked. If it were a level interior patio, I would strongly consider putting a metal 2-chair, small table set near the fountain, but with the lower level it just doesn't seem inviting. If you look close at the photo, you can see the architect used unique tiles for the flooring of the lower level. The tiles have a lot of ridges, which makes me think the lower level was not intended to be a living space.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Brian, I would call this a courtyard and I would google Moroccan (or Spanish) courtyard for inspiration photos.

Is there any chance the lower level is supposed to be entirely under water? It would explain the different tile. Do you use the fountain?

Here's a hotel courtyard that shows what I mean:

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/royal-mansour-marrakesh-mediterranean-patio-miami-phvw-vp~985095)

[Mediterranean Patio[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/mediterranean-patio-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_725~s_2109) by Coral Gables Architects & Building Designers OBM International>

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Nov 24, 14 at 9:55

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

What I would do: line the walkways with large pots (the kind that are a half circle and meant to be up against a wall) with tropical plants of your choosing. A formal, symmetrical arrangement. If the middle is supposed to be a water feature and it's usable, I would do that and put some mosquito fish in the water. I think you could get someone to construct tiled "stepping stones" in a pathway across the water.

I would also consider hanging decorative white curtains between the pillars such as the photo I posted above just to soften the space a bit. Not sure if that would look too "Miami".

Is that a fireplace right at the end?

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Nov 24, 14 at 7:15

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Today you can buy furniture in almost any style, including upholstered, suitable for outdoors.

You can't raise the entry floor. You'd ruin the pillars and fountain. So I agree with the stepping stones.

Is it supposed to be a pool? Is there plumbing to fill and drain it?

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

I always liked the chairs on the balcony on the TV show Boston Legal. I don't know if the style is appropriate but they're weather resistant and look comfortable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bubble Club Chair by Philippe Starck

• erinsean
    9 years ago

It looks like the atrium a friend had in Guatemala except hers was surrounded by glass walls, but opened to the sky. She put and I suggest for you, lots of green plants, some statues made for outside and maybe even some up or down lights to shine on the greenery.

• teacats
    9 years ago

First -- add lighting to the wonderful arch -- perhaps with a large Moroccan-inspired lantern hanging down in the center .....

Then -- add a seating group at one end of the central fountain grouping -- perhaps an outdoor sectional with a round ottoman (or a round table with an optional cushion top) in the center -- plus another outdoor chair or two ....

If possible -- add an outdoor dining table(s) for parties along the side of the fountain area (that are pictured on the edges of the outdoor patio) -- long and thin with a tile top -- plus long benches that can be pushed under the table(s) (you can add long cushions for dinner parties) If you can get a local craftsman to create long, dark wood folding table and folding benches -- then you have the option of storing them during storms -- and putting them up on each side of the fountain for parties ....

• nhb22
    9 years ago

I couldn't stand it any longer. Had to turn and lighten the photo. ;)

After studying the photo better, I have to agree with robotropolis that the area looks like it should hold water.

When in Istanbul, Israel, and many other parts of Europe, we saw many areas like this and they all held water.

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Mon, Nov 24, 14 at 16:27

• violetwest
    9 years ago

that's a really strange space, because while the whole thing is open to the elements, the interior portion (where people are suggesting water to go) has a canopy.

Either fill the interior section with water, or put an arrangement of furniture in front of the fountain as others are suggesting. It also needs plants along the outside.

I don't think you're going to get a "walkway" across it to look right or function, unless you take out that whole column, roof, and rim structure.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

If that was mine to mess with and I had the budget, I would glass over the opening ceiling above, where ever it is, with a glass roof (with sections that open for ventilation), and remove that big heavy structure thing with arches. The fountain however nice it is needs to go, too.

That would open up the space to the sky above, the glass would let in light, and you would have this larger, light filled expanse to work with and make into something functional and useful. Even open up a couple of the walls to interior rooms--then you could leave the fountain. Then you'd really have something fabulous, spacious, and livable. The mystery right now is what that space is really good for.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Thank god it's not yours to mess with.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Something like this...

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Or this...

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Another example of open courtyard with glass roof.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

marcolo, I find you comment hurtful and unkind.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Right. It's much kinder to suggest somebody essentially throw a bomb at their house's distinguishing architectural feature. Couldn't be hurtful at all, no.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Bryan, I love it, but I'm not sure what the purpose was/is for it. Could you post more photos, showing the other end? Is there more than one entrance to it? Any windows to the interior of the house? If it were mine, I'd put one chair there - for *me* - and line the sides with tropical plants. It would be a refuge, peaceful and calming with the sound of the fountain.

p.s., thanks to newhomebuilder for uprighting the photo; I was getting a crick in my neck.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

So this is one of your inspiration photos

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

This is the second (I think)

It would require a major remodel to get to what you want.

Is this area meant to be viewed from an upper level?

I like what Robotropolis suggested above.

• chickadee2_gw
    9 years ago

hoovb and I must be looking at the same websites, because I agree about removing that center structure. It's really cool, but I think it takes up too much valuable real estate if you want to utilize the space effectively. I think what type of furniture he eventually puts in there will be determined on how he plans to use it. I love the pictures with lots of plants and a water feature.
    Where space is limited, having a fountain along a wall leaves more space in the center for a table and chairs. See photos. I can picture dining under the stars or relaxing during the day with a cold drink or cup of coffee. It has to be inviting to lure you in and have something additional that makes you want to linger.

Here is a link that might be useful: Interior courtyard gardens in Spanish villas.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

there is one at the link chickadee2 posted with the indention like yours row 6 and far left.

rock garden areas are a regular sight in AZ. We have rock yards here. You could put rock around the fountain with some tiles placed to walk from one side to another.

While I'd hate to make a big change, I would want it to be a real usable space. If I could afford it I would make the change. That would include removing the pillars and overhead roof. I'd want the sun shining in and to see stars at night.

the indented area could be filled with additional tile - if the same can't be found, a complementary tile could be used.

plants could be put along the outer part and some chairs closer to the fountain. I do love a fountain (as long as I don't have to clean it).

some things we don't know - how do you want to use the space? do you want more use from it than just a pass thru to rooms? What rooms open to it? Is there drainage for when it rains?

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Is it possible that the structure is a second floor passageway?

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Is it possible that the structure is a second floor passageway?

• Bryan_Boricua
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for the ideas! I read all of them. And thanks newhomebuilder for improving the picture quality.

Several of you mentioned adding plants, and I think that is something I will ultimately do. The outer walkway has just the perfect amount of walking space, so I am inclined to put any plants out of the way, in the lower level. That may be a major feature of whatever arrangement I end up doing. Perhaps instead of a few potted plants, I will line the edge with a planter.

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/products/gus-modern-fruit-trough-prvw-vr~5548560)

[Modern Indoor Pots And Planters[(https://www.houzz.com/products/modern-indoor-pots-and-planters-prbr1-br~t_490~s_2105) by Santa Monica Furniture & Accessories Design Public

Robotropolis, I don't believe it's meant to be filled with water, though it's an interesting idea. There are several drains as you can see at the bottom of the pillars, including one big drain behind the fountain. But I'm not sure I would want an indoor pond anyway. Also, that's not a fireplace, its a table. And this is a one-story house--there is no passageway on the roof.

Teacats and grandmaof3, I totally agree with your idea to add lighting. It's another feature I've wanted to add. Certainly the priority is to add spot lighting for the fountain.

Hoovb, I love the fountain, there's no way I will remove it. Same goes for the arches and pillars. They will be a unique part of whatever arrangement I do. I have considered removing a wall, specifically the far back wall, and replacing it with a room divider, similar to the one pictured here:
    ---- http://st.houzz.com/simgs/fef11145004d0526_4-4877/traditional-patio.jpg

To explain the roof better: What you see is just a screen. I've actually thought about adding a glass roof, but I prefer to have rain fall in the middle. Also it is natural ventilation--if I covered it I would definitely have to add air conditioning and it would change the whole feel of the interior patio.

Tomatofreak, the other side (the front) is symmetrical to the back, with a front door.

Emmarene, yes, that is the arrangement that interests me. But I'm not talking about redoing the whole thing. I simply like the way they used rocks, with rock stepping stones and plants.

In summary, I will almost certainly add spot lighting to the fountain. Realistically, that is the first modification I will make. Second, I like the idea of adding plants, maybe a long planter placed along the edge of the lower level. The space between the planters and the fountain could be filled with a rock arrangement.

Saludos!
    --Bryan

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Plants will have kind of a tough time under that roof. Think about whether you can add some glass to the roof, as long as it doesn't look like modern suburban skylighting.

• chijim
    9 years ago

I would add some large pots of palms and other low light plants like Chinese evergreen, spathipyllums, and aspidistras to green up the space to give the space some life.

If it's not working, I would get the fountain fixed for more ambiance.

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

What an enchanting space! The recessed level in the center seems an intentional channel to confine rainwater & drain it away. Don't see how it could be meant to be filled permanently, or it would overflow onto the raised walkway in downpours & possibly penetrate the interior rooms, defeating the purpose. The textured tile is a non-slip feature to provide sure footing. Looks like the structure also provides a sort of chimney effect, allowing heat to rise up & out when the interior doors leading to it are opened in the evening, and cross ventilation when exterior windows are also open. Considering the symmetry of the space, assume there's another set of columns for a total of 4 pairs supporting the arches, not visible in your photo. If you wanted to put plants on the lower level, think you would leave the central area around the fountain clear & place them between the first & last set of columns, minding not to block the drains or obscure the sight lines of the fountain itself and its intersection. Weatherproof oiled low teak chairs or benches in the colonial style could be used in the recess if you feel you must furnish it.

The structure of the room directs traffic around the perimeter, but the recess is only one step up or down, so you certainly could walk across if you wanted. I wouldn't consider filling the lower level with stone to create a level floor. From a practical point of view, stones stay wet longer than your tile set-up, and mold & algae grow in those conditions. If you are determined to have a one-level floor, perhaps rigid metal mesh panels could be fitted on feet to cover the area & be removed in sections for cleaning the tiled area beneath. You could instead create walkways in the same manner to cross between the two sets of end columns, but they would need to be rather wide for safety. Teak could be used in a similar manner for a raised platform floor or walkway, and comes in modular tiles with spaces between the wood for water to pass through & drain away. A raised surface and furniture might increase the splash potential in heavy rain & keep the area more damp on the whole. Seems a shame to mar such a beautiful design to save a few steps...

Can only imagine how refreshing it would be to enter through your front door on a bright day & find oneself in such quiet splendor, drawn to the fountain to splash a hot face or trail fingers in the water for a moment of refreshment, listening to the music of the fountain splash. Lucky fellow!

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I am a little confused by the fountain, is that a recessed pool surrounding it, you are calling it a lower level, does it have drainage? Have you ever grown plants in this space before? Because of the canopy, I wonder how much true light would enter the space. Any way, I believe the lower level was designed for water or flower pots.

I don't care for the rock garden idea myself, I think something that casual will tend to work against the room, perhaps if you painted the pillars black or in outrageous colors (just an idea). The thing is, I love the dark red floor tiles, and these would be a great complement for plants. (I might paint the pillars, in any event -too jarring) I do like your idea of long planters along the edges, or even try pots lined up along the edges, and then a few taller ferns in larger pots in the center.

If I planted the recess, I might try a semi-formal planting, perhaps in green pots spaced in a somewhat geometric pattern that doesn't slavishly follow exact symmetry; for instance in one center of a 'medallion' there's a palm, in the other a fern. You get the idea. A trend that is big now is to purchase pottery all of the same color or glaze, but in different shapes and sizes. In your case, I would go with green, but you might like cream or white if you decide not to paint the pillars.

If I had the space, I would probably do a full and complete planting in the pool area. side by side plants like lawn or carpet, all of the same variety and size, maybe even same color. I would suggest impatiens, they will grow under lower, indoor light, bloom continuously and will last for 2-3 years with little maintenance. Ferns would also be nice and last longer. I see that you have an example with, Sansevieria trifasciata, another good choice. But there are many indoor plants that would work well under the canopy, even potty moss. The bamboo you found in your inspiration photo, would struggle to live here. If you use individual flower pots, you can move them around the room when ever you like, rotating them in and out of sunny areas every couple months. (but some plants, like ferns and ficus like to stay put).

Your seating ideas are good. But you don't need to go with a theme, like Moroccan, I wonder if the space has the elbow room for it, and in fact Moroccan themes can be a little pretentious and gimmicky at the same time. I'd try a semi-formal approach, or Transitional, if you will. I honestly believe that the space may appreciate a more semi-formal seating. But something too sparse and too formal may come off as "I gotta put something here so I found these 4 dumb thrones". I would look for teak, colonial-style patio furniture. Unpainted and just oiled (or treated for outdoor use.) The wood will soften the expanses of tile, as opposed to metal. The seating can have cushions with outdoor fabric.

First, think about how the decorated space would really be used. Are you likely to actually sit there and read a book, relax with a cup of iced tea? Perhaps if there was a nice planting there? Or would this just be overflow for a party room?

You can always add or expand the space as you find uses for it. A small table for two could be a lovely place for coffee and the paper in the morning.

There does seem to be plenty of room for the walkways on the sides, both in length and width. So you may want to have it reflect a baronial hallway (if you know what I mean) but updated, with the oiled teak. I think of those long hallways in the old castles, with side tables, and side chairs spaced between doors, massive paintings and elaborate mirrors. You get the idea, but that furniture arrangement can be updated, so it doesn't look like a castle, and more like a 1970s get away for Jackie Onassis.

So you might have a comfortable teak Chippendale couch centered on one wall, perhaps with end tables. You might then leave wall-space with some sort of wall-art, a carved wood piece or Bas-relief; perhaps raw terracotta, architectural remnants, or sconce shelf with bronze or Blanc de Chine, A mirror, etc. Then there's a teak side board (it could hide garden tools inside, glassware, a small bar etc.) with Large sculpture or ceramic vases on top, these don't have to be Chinese import porcelain, you can look to local potters for contemporary work. A couple of side chairs to flank the side board. To arrange the room, You divide each long wall into three sections and make three seating/display/vignettes along each long wall, each vignettes a little different and it doesn't have to be symmetrical with the other wall. Perhaps large potted trees or your bamboo, or tree ferns between the vignettes, (because there's more light along the wall), instead of art?

Search: teak colonial patio furniture

TEAK KIPAS DINING CHAIRS

TEAK BATAVIA DINING CHAIR

TEAK BATAVIA BANTENG ARM CHAIR

TEAK SILANG CLASSIC DINING CHAIR

Teak Sideboard 2 Sliding doors and 4 Drawers

Teak Sideboard 4 doors and 13 Drawers

Ceylon Teak

This post was edited by Lilylore on Fri, Nov 28, 14 at 11:52

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I am very late to the discussion but:

hoovb, in defense of Marcolo's comment, on an interactional level, your suggestion certainly has the ability to be hurtful because the OP has a space they love in it's essence, and you are saying it would be much better if it was something else entirely. I don't think that was the question. And it's like saying "sure ma'am you are quite a handsome 60-year old woman, but if we could just turn you into a 25 year old who was better looking you would be so much improved" Of course plenty of things may actually be even better if they were something completely different than what they already are. But A and B are two different things. And a handsome 60 year old woman who has extensive plastic surgery, often still looks like a smoother weird-looking 60 old woman and will still never look 25.

But from an architectural standpoint, the lack of funding to "mess with" something or "make it better" has been the Only thing that has saved a number of places that people have grown to love, or at least appreciate the Significance of very shortly after.

The only thing that prevented the destruction of the defining structure of my city was the near impossible cost of demolishing it. One of the strongly considered "solutions" was the demolition of everything but the clock tower. They considered removing one of the iconic parks in my city, building a parking garage under it and planting an "elevated plaza" on top. Several of these have existed in places I have lived. The park on top may be marginally okay, but on the street level it's like you are walking around the perimeter wall of an urban prison, or around the butt end of a large shopping mall where they make the deliveries. These are specifically off-topic to the discussion, but the point is, the changes don't necessarily make___ better, just different, and they can often make it worse. In this space I think you could easily feel that something was missing.

So, I too hope no one comes up with the money to mess with something like that, because quirkiness and some shortcomings aside it's very charming being what it already is.

• suero
    9 years ago

Your patio reminds me of the various rotundas with central fountain in the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC.
    There is seating around the perimeter and lots of plants. You can't see it clearly in this image, but there are steps down to the fountain level.

Here's one:

• Bryan_Boricua
    Original Author
    9 years ago

**Thanks everyone for sharing your ideas!** Now it's time for me to think over all of these great ideas.

... I want to share something else with this forum, but I'm not sure where to post it. Similar to improving my house with arrangements and decorations, crafting mini zen gardens has helped me channel positive energy. I want to post some pictures of a few projects I've just completed. Hopefully I can inspire some people to be creative!

Bryan

This post was edited by Bryan_Boricua on Wed, Dec 3, 14 at 22:51