Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queenofmycastle0221

$3000 What would you do with it?

Sadly my home was robbed a few weeks ago and all of my jewelry was taken. The insurance is paying me the max amount of $3000. I have went and looked at new jewelry but not being a jewelry person everything I owned was a gift so it doesn't seem right to spend it on more jewelry. If you had $3000 to spend on your home decorating project (or anything else) what would it be? I want something that makes me feel as warm and fuzzy as my original set of wedding bands my hubby bought so long ago!

Comments (29)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Do you have to spend it? Can you save it?

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

So sorry this happened to you. I would get a new wedding band. Otherwise, how about a fireplace to make you feel warm and cozy - pot belly, gas, or electric. We just put in a gas one and it's fabulous. If not a fireplace, I'd save the money and save until I could get a hot tub. Think about what you could enjoy in your home. A new recliner? A room makeover? A new bathroom vanity? I'd pick something I would really enjoy.

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

Years ago I inherited some money from my Grandfather. I purchased table lamps and a painting for my living room.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Warm and fuzzy? A new cashmere throw in a classic color. Then put the rest in the bank.

• bpath
    10 years ago

A second honeymoon!

• teacats
    10 years ago

New kitchen appliances?

Or new washer-dryer combination?

A lovely area rug?

Painting? ((artworks OR house painting!!!))

New security system??? :)

• mama-sweetT
    10 years ago

Nothing can take the place of that, so sorry. But thankful u had insurance! A new wedding band as close as possible to the other... Then if anything left, a vacation with my DH!

• Fori
    10 years ago

Mama-sweet, are you offering your DH to Camaro? You are so generous! :)

I think I'd bank it until I found something I knew I wanted. (Like a restorable '67 Chevy?)

• Begonia2005
    10 years ago

I vote for saving first.

If that will just not do and jewelry is not your thing, I would pick anything you are into and get one quality, high-end item.
    We recently realized we are one of those people who have "everything" when it comes to little items -the kind that can be usually be given as gifts on Christmas ; but when it comes to big items, the kind that nobody gifts you with because they are too expensive...and you can't make yourself buy them either because it involves dumping too much money at one time...well, when it comes to those, we need everything!

I have noticed this is the case with most people. So somewhere between a nice refrigerator, some piece of furniture, killer bedding, front load slick washer...or what have you....I am sure you must have a want somewhere, somehow.

So spend it on a nice big ticket item! :)

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Is there anything you and DH always dreamed of when you were young and broke? Or someone you longed to buy while on honeymoon or vacation, but couldn't justify the expense? I've heard stories of both traditional things like a grandfather clock or matching china set, and also silly things, like an inside joke about a gaudy lamp, or certain pasta bowls, or anything in between!

It seems like something that also reminds you of him and is durable would be in the same spirit if it's something meaningful to both of you.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I wouldn't want to purchase something that would be a reminder of this. Saving is a great idea, making it a plus if it actually helps you out on a rainy day. If you put it away for 30 years, and are able to get a 5% ROI, it would turn into about $13,000. What happened to that skipped latte turning into $100,000? Still, a nice chunk of change.

Here is a link that might be useful: Future Value Calculator

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 22:24

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Maybe you should spend the money on a watch dog or a security system....

• mama-sweetT
    10 years ago

Lol fori, why u think they call me sweet?:)

• dedtired
    10 years ago

So sorry to hear about the burglary. We have had so many break-ins in my area. My friend lost $30,000 worth of jewelry! I don't even understand why she had that in her house.

Hmm, if I had a $3K windfall I would take a vacation and make some memories that can't be stolen and I can treasure forever. However, I would probably pay some bills. Sigh.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

I would also vote for a vacation.

The Fairmont in Maui has the most amazing kona coffee and macadamia nut sticky buns. Just saying. Sigh.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Dedtired, with the price of gold having risen so much, it isn't too hard to get to $30k worth of jewelry, specially if you have a few large pieces and bought them long ago. Which reminds me I need to get mine appraised and insured. We do have a full alarm system and use it all the time,

• glad2b
    10 years ago

I vote on taking a trip to a country you have never been to, but always wanted to go. It is amazing to see things for the first time IRL, you could go see something beautiful or historic or both!

• susie100
    10 years ago

I'd buy a home safe.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

By all means replace your wedding ring....then splurge on a big ticket item you would normally save for whether it's a trip, furniture, appliance, art, etc...if you can't decide then just stash it away...you'll need it or want it for something at some point.

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

I guess after that frightful experience, I'd want a deep-tissue massage to get rid of all that stress (and even tho I don't usually give much thought to these "spiritual" kind of things, I might even do what some native cultures do and burn some sage in the house to shoo out that bad karma feeling!).

After that, I probably would bank it, too. That lets it build interest but also lets me keep dreaming of something even better or bigger than whatever material object pops quickly into my mind now.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Oh how heart breaking! I'm so sorry you're having to deal with a theft. It's such an awful feeling. Hard to get over when it's items that are irreplaceable. I don't think I'd want to purchase something that would be a daily reminder of that violation so I too would most likely put it into savings so that when I did spend it it wouldn't feel like it was money from the robbery that bought that item.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

I had a a similar question a few months ago and ended up putting it all in the bank.

About 3 years ago I was part of a class-action suit against a multinational corporation that had overcharged consumers. Over the years I've received numerous announcements of these kinds of suits but I always ignored them. However this time I had all the necessary receipts and certifications on hand to join the suit. I filled out the forms and sent in my photocopies and then nearly forgot about it.

It was finally resolved and about 6 months ago I received a check for $2979.00. I couldn't think of anything special that I wanted or needed so I added it to my investment fund. Maybe one day I'll stumble upon something and decide to use my 'found' money then.

Maybe you're just not ready to spend it and need more time.

• bird_lover6
    10 years ago

A destination wedding...really a vacation where you could renew your vows with a new wedding ring.

I'd make it something truly memorable.

• queenofmycastle0221
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I Love all the input! It is Election time so I've been stuck at work getting everything ready for our county to vote. I do intend to save a large portion of the funds. My family all says go buy some more jewelry and it just doesn't feel right. My dh bought me a wonderful new set of rings last year and thankfully I was wearing them. The police suspect a former housekeeper since they "hit the high spots" yet moved all my shoes to get to the safe which they took with them. We do plan to but another one and bolt it in. It had been a horrible experience.

I had this huge list of remodeling someday items but nothing has jumped out at me.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I am sorry you had to go through such a horrible experience. How awful! If you don't know what to do with it, save it until you really do know, and you will know.

• jakabedy
    10 years ago

An electric driveway gate. For 6+ years, it's out of the car, open gate, in the car, drive through, out of the car, close gate . . . The electric gate has always managed to fall to the bottom of the to-do list. But $3K in found money would take it straight to the top.

• rosie
    10 years ago

:)

Failing such a compelling desire, Camaro, definitely money market until you know?

As for me, I also happen to have a couple extra, unbudgeted dollars on hand now. Since I tend to hold onto stuff and am not interested in frittering it away on things I can buy pretty much any time, my intention is to invest the entire amount in a quality item that's usually not...sensible.

My experience is that we've never tired of the few special things I've acquired, but if we do any would sell for more, a couple several times more, than we paid for them.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Sorry about the break-in. I'm going to assume you have future break-in's, savings and bills taken care of and this is a windfall to do as you please. We don't know what your savings are so I won't tell you to bank it.

I've been there, the bad memory will go away sooner than you think, so I'd buy something you've been wanting.

I'm on the hunt for two matching, patterened arm chairs for the living room. Those would make me warm, fuzzy, and happy! lol.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

I have no ideas for he use of the money, but commiserate with you about the experience. Many years ago we were robbed--- in a gated community, in a house with an armed alarm system. I had the usual reactions, I guess. A few years later one of the persons who did the crime was working at my house (yep, skilled tradesmen) and he just confessed to me out of the blue. I was shocked--- he was shocked that it came out. I did not call the police. The stuff taken had been all electronic and the claim settled, new stuff bought, the young man was clearly sorry and had agonized over it for two years.

The experience made me feel differently about my possessions. I like most of them and treasure a few, but I don't think I would have the same reaction today if our house was robbed again. We have had some break ins at this house(within the past 8years) when we weren't home and one when we were home---- nothing taken--- so we put up a gate and hope that is a better deterrent. But my most prized piece of jewelry was stolen by a household employee's adult daughter who sold it for cash for drugs. The employee was humilated (the daughter never allowed back in our house) but we did not fire her, she needs the job and is a part of our ecosystem here. It's complicated.

So my advice is to let go of some of that feeling of ownership because it can't always be relied on. Wait until you do not have to ask anybody what to spend the money on. You will know when it is right--- or maybe saving it will give you a feeling of security.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?