Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pat_tea

I would like to assoc. you with your home soooo

pat_tea
14 years ago

Would everyone post one picture of the room you spend most of your time in. I'll start. It is my kitchen because every other room is still under construction. I have a TV, commputer, love to cook. Just no bed or bath in it. LOL

Comments (105)

• mimi_2006
    14 years ago

Definitely this hearth room that is at one end of the kitchen. Though around the corner there is my little personal office space in which I also spend a lot of time. Sometimes, though, I just pick up my laptop and bring it in here so I can prop my feet up and be with DH.

• jant
    14 years ago

Well, you can always associate with me "early attic"! Somehow I managed to squeeze all orphaned, leftover furniture into my sunroom/workspace. (If what I do is work...hmmm.) Sketching/plotting and planning take place early mornings on the chaise. Coffee/laptop on the antique cherry dropleaf table...highlighted beautifully by my printer. :( My grandmother was a prolific stenciler and did the old black chair which badly needs some mending. The blue cupboard we made from an old door that came from a local beach cottage. SO rolled eyes big time when I dragged that home...WTH are you going to do with that??? Well, there ya go. :)

Fun and interesting seeing sooo many different styles and wonderful rooms!

• ladyamity
    14 years ago

Thank you all for sharing part of you with the rest of us.

So many beautiful rooms and outdoor spaces....each picture had many little details that really caught my eye and I've added each picture to my personal Inspiration File.
    Again, thank you all for sharing!!!

Unfortunately all my inside rooms are in the state of UNdone right now and probably will be for quite some time.

Because there is so much UNdoneness in every room of my home, I find solace outside, under the pavilion/raised patio (all DIY) where Mr. Amity provided me with GFI-type/Outdoor Outlets.

The outlets allow me to have one of my adult kid's boom box stereo/CD/tape player to listen to music and I can plug in my lappy.

Because it's Southern Calif. I can even sit out under the Pav when it's raining, not get wet and a light sweater is all I need...well, light sweater, a cup of cocoa, music and my laptop.

The area isn't fancy, nor elegant but it provides me with some quiet time away from the 1500 sq. ft. home where every room is in a state of UNdoneness and occupied by 6 rather large adults.

When I'm needed, and they can't find me inside, this little bench area is where I'll be 99% of the time.

Again, I'm in awe of all the photos you've all shared, Thank you!

Looking into the Pav, to the right behind the large urn is the iron bench where I nest:
    {{!gwi}}

The iron bench where I pile the sunbrella pillows and kick back with my beverage and laptop:
    {{!gwi}}

Large, Black Wood-burning stove with little lamp (for computer play at night):
    {{!gwi}}

• cliff_and_joann
    14 years ago

What a fun thread, and such beautiful spaces, both indoor and outdoor.
    It makes we want to do some more sprucing up..
    You'll find me in my family room all the time
    I have 5 chairs in this room,(not counting my desk chair) 4 of the chairs are from goodwill that we reupholstered.
    That is the fun part :)
    My brown chair by the fireplace is my chair, it is so comfy. I have a view of the tv, and backyard from this chair. Cliff recently made me a portable laptop table that I love...now I even spend more time in this chair... :)

It's the chair by the fireplace.

My laptop table in use.

chairside view...

• gldnfan
    14 years ago

Love seeing all these pictures and the reasons they are each posters favorite.

jant - thought you might appreciate how I "hid" my printer - it would work perfectly in your room. I used a basket like the one you have under the table on the left - but without a lid. I took garden clippers and snipped out a rectangle big enough for the paper tray and placed the printer inside. I also snipped out a small area for the cords to run through on the back. THe baskets remain remarkable sturdy even after being snipped!

I will be back to post my favorite room - if I can remember my photobucket password ;-)

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

palimpsest, do you remember the paint color in the beautiful after pic? TIA.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Its just Benjamin Moore Ballet White, but it really works in that house. Everything is Ballet White throughout that floor, walls, ceiling and trim. (With the exception of a blue accent wall.)

It must be the light there, but it shifts and changes and at certain times of day, it looks like that. For houses with not much detail, this is my favorite thing to do--the oddly placed windows in this house got full length drapes or blinds (depending), all in that ballet white tone. It makes a warm envelope that everything sits inside of.

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

Palimpsest, just curious: What happened to the bi-fold doors that were on the right in the before pic?

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

It was a reach-in pantry/utility closet and we removed it. The house is a townhouse so it only had one partially bearing wall in the entire first floor--joists went from party wall to party wall so juggling the interior spaces was easy.

• Jodi_SoCal
    14 years ago

Our living room. I come home from work each night, usually long after dinner time, change into some comfortable clothes. Grab something to drink and a snack, plop myself on the far right pillow end of the sofa and watch DVR'd TV with my laptop on my lap.

Ignore the peachy carpet, we're getting new carpet early next year.

Jodi-

• stu2900
    14 years ago

This is fun. I feel like I'm looking at photos in a magazine. Sorry I can't join the kitchen lovers. I like my kitchen, but try not to spend too much time in there. :) My living room is where I'm most comfortable. If it were up to me, there wouldn't be a television in there, but DH would rebel if there wasn't. The table behind the love seat is gone; our Shih Tzu's think they're cats and were always getting on top of it. Please ignore the unpainted trim around the door. I forgot to paint it and just haven't gotten around to it yet.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Oh, such beautiful rooms! all of them - traditional, eclectic, cottage. You all have such wonderful style.

Pal - LOL at the shoemaker's kids. Did you make an offer on that townhouse?

I have been living in a construction zone for more than 2 years, *almost* finished with the upstairs (one door casing in hallway and one window casing in study to finish and install). LR (and upper hallway) needs baseboard but is almost done - but needs decorating. DR is done except for figuring out what to do with the misplaced sconce boxes (still trying to find something to cover them up) and getting the oak crown molding off the rug, stained and installed in the kitchen. Kitchen and FR are finshed except for the crown molding at tops of the cabinets and the last nit of baseboard and trim that was to be installed after tile was fixed (but it's coming loose *again* 2 months later!). Foyer is missing baseboard and trim around front door - again, waiting on tile work.

So I'm afraid I don't have a "finished" decorated room to show you, but here is where I spend most of my awake time - Gee, gotta take new pics since I *do* have trim around these windows now

Across from couch

Kitchen at other end of the long "room"

We lost *all* door trim after this pic was taken - tile guy cut it too short when fixing tile in basement doorway (sigh) and I've pulled off the pantry trim too since builder put it lower than the basement door next to it. Got the replacement trim all cut and joined and ready to go once we can *stop* replacing loose tile...

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

Palimpsest, that explains it! The room looks so much better without those doors -- GREAT JOB!

Jant, I love your floor to ceiling bookcases!

• ttodd
    14 years ago

It's good to see real people's homes isn't it? Each one is so warm, inviting and beautiful - each one their own way - but each one equally so!

Loved everyone of them.

Amlyville your kitchen is beautiful! I love peonies and can't wait to grow just a cutting garden of them!

Jant - I love your American style - great job!

Riverrat - I haven't seen you in AGES! Where have you been?

• User
    14 years ago

I'm late to the party. This is a good thread! You've all seen mine but this is where I spend my down time.

{{!gwi}}

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Again this isn't my house, its one I worked on. Its another one of my white boxes. As you can see in the before, there is a spectacular sunset view out the windows, so why compete with that? The HO also had some unique art that needed to be showcased.

• sallymo2015
    14 years ago

{{!gwi}}
    Usually in the kitchen. For some reason I like sitting at the counter to read. Maybe if I get too comfortable I fall asleep!
    The valances are gone and the large window has a woven wood like the small one.

• karenn
    14 years ago

sorry to hijack here, but...

tomorrowisanotherday:
    I saw a peak of the parson chairs in your pictures and I have to know where you found them??!!! I have been search long and hard for parson chairs in that type of fabric - I'm in love!

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

palimpsest, I was afraid you'd say something like that :) I keep trying to find something that will say 'that color' here in the PNW. Flowering Herbs/Richmond Grey is the best I've found so far although it's a bit more than in that pic. Ballet White would *really* not work over here, at least with the exposure on my lot, to create that same effect. Good lesson for me in geographical light, thanks.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

Love you sofa, shee! lol. You know, pictures of our identical sofa's don't do the color justice. She's sofa is a very dark maroon color.

This is where I've been spending time this week, getting out decorations since I'm going to have some Christmas decor out at Thanksgiving.

I've shown this picture before:

This will be where I hang out this weekend since a strong cold front with rain is coming. Yay! That's Lizzie in front, we put her bed near the fire when it's lit and she loves to curl up there.

• User
    14 years ago

Oakley - I agree! The sofa looks darker/richer IRL.

• mistybear11
    14 years ago

My rooms are open to one another so I spend an equal amount of time in the kitchen, living and family rooms.
    {{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}

Linda

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

mistybear, is it my monitor or are you powerless over bluish purple? :)

• mary_ruth
    14 years ago

I have this photo of my living room from the house I just sold. We are in a temporary apartment and house hunting. the next house will be the start of a new Blog for all the projects as we make it ours.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

***KARENN***

I got those chairs at a local furniture store about 3 years ago. I have no idea who made them and there are no tags on them--sooo sorry. Now, I HAVE seen the fabric on bolts at our local fabric store, so maybe there's hope for you :)

I have to say I love them. They are sooo comfortable, and the pattern keeps stains from showing. If I had to do it over again, I think I'd only get 4 in this pattern, and find a companion fabric for the other 2. A little of this goes a looong way.

• texanjana
    14 years ago

Outside!

{{!gwi}}

• haley_comet
    14 years ago

I must say I think it is so nice of Texas Jana, Caroline, Casey and any others I may have missed who posted thier photos must of read my mind. I was thinking how we all post such intimate photos of our homes which are such a reflection of ourselves but we never show our own faces!

Bravo - perhaps you have started a trend?

I think I will go hunt down a photo of myself and my home.

Cheers,
    Haley

• jerseygirl_1
    14 years ago

Here is mine with a nice good glass of wine.

The fireplace mantel now has a large picture above it.

• kjmama
    14 years ago

Our home has an open floor plan with kitchen, living room and dining all together. SInce I care for my 3 year old, we spend all day here. We cook, play, make messes at the table. I often feel like we're in "little house in the big woods:)" I love it here. We are actually moving though.... so sad to leave my snug as a bug home, but trying to be positive about the future. Gosh - aren't are homes so much of who we are, it is like leaving an old friend behind. Ugh I may cry.
    {{!gwi}}From 264 Adams Place Drive
    {{!gwi}}From 264 Adams Place Drive

• sewwhatsnew
    14 years ago

{{!gwi}}

Here is the kitchen view from the front door..the sunroom in the back,is where we hang, it still needs treatments, something to make a statement from the front door. I love our big island, and the recliners in the sunroom.
    Cordless white wood blinds should be availabe Monday from Graber, and might be my choice for treatments.

• littledog
    14 years ago

Why didn't I click on this earlier? What fascinating pictures, something to see in every one. Here's mine, taken standing at the sink in the aqua kitchen, facing the rocking chair in front of the stove in the green dining room. The dining room faces north, and there is a huge Elm just outside the window, so I appreciate the light from the south side of the house shining through the open door of the yellow room on right.

• pat_tea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Keep them coming folks, this just gets "gooder and gooder"

• chloe_s_mom
    14 years ago

My house is narrow townhouse (and in desperate need of some additional windows on one side). When in the livingroom, I can see all of the main level.

Livingroom in one direction:

and in the other direction

Like I said, when in one of the armchairs, I can also see my kitchen, the diningroom, and the kitchen nook:

Diningroom:

Kitchen:

all of which beats the view of my under-construction yard, which will be beautiful....in a year or two (or ten):

• Pat z6 MI
    14 years ago

ttodd: Your Baby Turtle favorite space has me by the heart. I am obsessing over it -- the walls, those chairs, that sofa, and that wonderful cat! The entire space has inspired me to do something as close as I can in my bedroom, including the adoption of one or two cats in the near future. I will start looking for something close to those gorgeous curtains. How warm and elegant your space is. Thank you for posting those pictures. I have copied them so I don't have to keep coming back to this post to see them.

palimpsest: Thank you for "failed obsessive," which fits me to a T and my house shows it.

jant: How absolutely perfect!

I sure will be coming back to this forum.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Kimmieb your room is one of my favorites, I must say. It looks like it belongs in one of those historical Manhattan apartments.

....Jane

• pat_tea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Love them all! More More More!

• lisa_mocha
    14 years ago

There sure are some beautiful rooms here!

I spend a lot of my time in the kitchen and family room in the evenings and my home office during the day. (can't post any pics of that messy disaster in the office...in the process of a re-do!)

Our entire home is relaxed, casual decor.(again-doesn't relfect the feeling I have while in the office working, LOL. Need to get that project done asap:))

L.

• OllieJane
    14 years ago

That is spectacular, Lisa!

• parma42
    14 years ago

I remember you working on your kitchen, Lisa.

It turned out great!

• teacats
    14 years ago

My spot:

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• jlc712
    14 years ago

Love to see all these beautiful homes!
    Our family room is where we spend all our free time. In the moments that I'm not running around the house or chasing the small person seen in the picture, I am watching HGTV or using my laptop while sprawled on the couch.
    I can't seem to get my act together to take new pics for this post. I have rearranged and changed things quite a bit lately, but this is what it looked like a few months ago:
    Lo

Jen

• shay13
    14 years ago

Pattiem93,
    I love your rattan kitchen barstools!!! Can you tell me where you purchased them? I saw some similar ones at Pottery Barn, but they were chairs not barstools. Thanks for your help!

• pattiem93
    14 years ago

Hi Shay,
    Thanks so much-we love them too and they've stood up to my large family! I got them 3 years ago at a Pier ! sale-I think I paid 99 dollars and they've been well worth it.

• Jbrig
    14 years ago

shay13, not to hijack this fascinating thread, but I think I just saw some rattan bar stools at Target's website...
    :-)

• rjinga
    14 years ago

I just like being poster #100, I"ll come up with a room soon :)

• mistybear11
    14 years ago

flyleft, "Powerless" is a good word to describe my faithfullness for smokey purple. Although after seeing these rooms makes me second guess my colour obsession. They are gorgeous rooms.
    Linda

• amysrq
    14 years ago

The little brown loveseat is my Office. It is usually buried in books, files, paint chips and fandecks.

• parma42
    14 years ago

If you count the time I spend walking in here and saying "If I can get this room half done, why can't I start on the others?", I suppose I spend a lot of time in the LR/DR.

Hey there, Amy...or should I say Bonjour?

Always love your spaces.

• shay13
    14 years ago

Thanks pattiem93 and jbrig! I just love how all of you are willing to share information. I will definitely check out the places you mentioned.

• chessy
    14 years ago

abolutely gorgeous homes, everyone! i got some great ideas, too!