Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

WWYD with this bed?

funkyart
11 years ago

I'll try to keep the back story short-- I purchased this antique bed a few years ago and unfortunately, I paid much more for it than I can now get selling it through a consignment shop or on craigslist (by at least a factor of 10x). I was going for a custom finish that looked as though it had been left out in the garden for a few years. Unfortunately, it hasnt worked out all that well for me.. I find it too feminine and youthful, it's hard to work with color-wise and it tends to disappear into the room. Now my style is definitely becoming more streamlined and less fussy/prissy..

So I am considering my options:

1. sandblast it and paint it another color-- black? platinum?

2. leave it as is, move it to the spare room and keep the door closed!

3. give it to my youngest niece who has always loved the bed (but then I fear the other three nieces will jump up and say they love it too).

Here are some pictures.. the first was before it was refinished, the second is a closeup of the finish and the third is an old photo that shows the detail.. but before I had appropriate bedding for it.

I have styled it a few ways over the years.. once with layers of linen duvets similar to this..

but when that became too fussy, I used various combinations of duvets and quilts. Part of the problem is that neither white nor ivory look nice on the bed. Patterns work best but then they overpower the design.

So what would you do?

Comments (40)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

do you like it?

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

Does it squeak? If no, then I'd paint it black. If yes, the guest bedroom or niece solution would work equally well for me.

• stolenidentity
    11 years ago

I choose number 2 option. And I wouldn't close the door, I'd just put a plain old garden theme quilt on the bed, nothing fancy. That's an awesome bed.

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

What about slipcovering it?

• lindac
    11 years ago

I believe those medallions and trim pieces are brass.....and originally the bed would have been white with brass trim.
    I think that would work very well with pastel bedding....doesn't have to have ruffles and ribbons....just simple square classic bedding in either white with a color trim, or a soft color.
    That type of bed was a very simple, unpretentious bed....the type that might be found in a child's or a maids room. When you try to gussie it up, then it looks wring. Stick with the simple stuff and the bed won't look so "fussy".

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mtnrdredux - that's not an easy question to answer. I loved the bed when I selected it .. but between the finish not being quite right and some other issues I've not touched on, I have a love/hate relationship with the bed. I chose it because it's an interesting style--having some elements of both the craftsman era and victorian. It is also from a foundry from the area where my grandparents grew up. I can say I want to love the bed.. but at the moment, I don't. I am hoping to style it or change it so that I will love it.

Engineerchic.. haha.. uh, well, it is very solid. The side rails fit into joints that look like a shoulder socket. The spines can take some pretty rough tugs and it doesn't squeak. It has been known to move across the floor if there isn't a rug under it though. ;)

Lindac.. the original color of the bed was green. You can see the original coloring in the first photo. There are a few things that make it more than "common".. or so I was told. I have the histories of each bed I'd considered (some of which were much more common--they were noted as such and priced accordingly).. here is the one for this bed:

"The thing that gives a bed collectability and value have to do with the quality and quantity of it's castings....first and foremost. The second thing are any subtle curves or unique qualities that set it apart from the more common beds of it's time. This bed has beautifully detailed castings. The corner castings are extremely unique and detailed and the double curved top it has is the first I've ever seen like this one. We found this bed in New Stanton, just south of Pittsburgh. As you may know, back in the early 1800's the area around Pittsburgh was littered with small independently owned foundries, because of their proximity to the steel mills in Pittsburgh, that would employ as few a two men and turn out as few as one bed a day. This bed is from about 1820 and is the only one I've seen like it in 30 years. It's a really good solid bed. This bed has the original green w/ gold guilded casting paint job"

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sasfras - thanks for your idea. I have had garden style quilts on it and you are right. They work nicely. I was hoping to move away from such girly bedding but I suppose I should stick with what works.

Daisychain - I never considered slipcovering it-- I do like that look but if I am going to cover it up, I might as well give it to my niece. I can't get the money back that I put into it.. but I'd at least get some joy out of knowing that my niece had a bed she loved.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

It needs a home where it will be loved. Send it to me. I will pay the freight and always LOVE it!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It does deserve to be loved. Really, it does.

So no one thinks I should sandblast it and repaint? What is not so evident in the photos is that there is a very pink cast to the castings. The colors are layered on and there is a fair amount of pink in the layers.

This finish was developed for the the photo shoots and in-store displays for the old Ralph Lauren florals- maybe I need to find some vintage RL. Unfortunately NONE of my current ralph lauren duvets look good on it.

Hey.. I have an idea. I have been wanting to get the RL sage and lavender plaid blanket. I think the colors should work well.. do you think the plaid will tone down the girly aspect just a bit?

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

Actually, I think painting would be a good thing. Either a matte black or a deep charcoal gray that has a weathered iron appearance (I mean the finish called weathered iron, not actual weathered iron which to me means rusted iron).

If I were you, I would try to salvage it by painting it first. It is pretty and it's not a cheap knock off you bought for $99 online, you know? The more of a history a piece has with me, the more I try to make it work well in a space. Good luck :)

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I would either store it in the attic in case your style changes in a few years or give it to your niece with the caveat that she cannot paint it or sell it.

I would try a simple solid green matelasse cover on it.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

I'd give it one more try by painting it.
    I found an old family bedstead in my mom's shed and took it to an auto body shop where it was stripped and painted. It has a whole new life now!

• localeater
    11 years ago

It is a lovely bed. But if it is a source of regret, or displeasure for you, ditch it. You shouldn't be sleeping anywhere but a happy place. And, don't not give it to one niece because of worry about the other nieces.

• deeinohio
    11 years ago

I remember when you purchased that bed and were so happy with it.

Here's an inspiration picture I had saved, going with your RL idea. I think it could work to tone the sweetness of the bed, which I love. Even though the bed in the pic isn't similar to yours, it's still spare.

Dee

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Keep it and paint it black; maybe even brass:

Here is a link that might be useful: bedrooms with antique metal beds

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Well, then, if you want to love it and it isn't just about regret, then I agree you should paint it.

I would start by picking bedding that you really love (eg the RL plaid) and then chose a paint you think will work. Maybe grey or even a grey green, but dark.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

Funky, if that was my bed, and I wish it was, I'd start by lightly dabbing the medallions a brownish/bronze color with metallic craft paint that you can get for under $2 a container. Then, I'd use a colored wax, such as BriWax in their dark brown, and wax the entire bed, which really wouldn't take long, to darken the overall finish. Start in a somewhat hidden place to see if you like the color change. Then, I'd buy that RL blanket that you show above, since it appears to have some muddy green in it, unless my monitor deceives me.

I love the room that dee posted above, and also the black and brass bed that nosoccermom shows. Yours is a more feminine style that MAY not translate that well if painted black. Because I LOVE to re-work furniture pieces, I'd play with it as much as I could myself to see what small changes would make a difference.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Paint it black.

And then move it into the guest room. Decorate with a less-feminine style -- breathe and enjoy -- and leave the door open. (grin!)

And find a headboard that would work well with the basic bed set-up. Check Craigslist first -- of course! :)

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I have an old, really old, black iron bed with brass trim. I love it. But part of the charm of your bed is the paint job. If you paint it, that will be ruined and maybe you won't like it any better than you do now.

Honestly, I'd cut my losses, give it to my niece and as someone else said with the caveat that she cannot paint or get rid of it without your permission. Loan it to her.

Find a bed you love now.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

>Then, I'd use a colored wax, such as BriWax in their dark brown, and wax the entire bed, which really wouldn't take long, to darken the overall finish.

Just a caveat about this. I have an antique French bed (walnut, bronze doree) that needed some repairs and consequent refinishing when I got it. They started with a wax finish (these are professional restorers from a big antiques store in Miami) and it came off all over the linens bit by bit and had to be redone in a different finish. I like briwax, but I'd hesitate to use it on a bed after that experience.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

Interesting, Writersblock, I used it on a bed years ago and COULDN'T rub it off, after it had been buffed and dried, but I would check it first! I found I could get off off by using a solvent such as paint remover, but not just with hard rubbing.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Such a wide range of responses.. and thank you for that as with each response, I became more aware of what how I really feel about the bed and what I want to do with it. I know that sounds ridiculous but as Mtnrd noted, I had some real emotion around the bed. I was very disappointed with it from the start-- I think it's lovely but it just never worked in my space.

Mtnrd and My3dogs' posts gave me that "aha" kind of gestalt excitement. I need the bed to be darker-- more dramatic and sophisticated-- but I don't want a black bed. 75% of the iron beds I saw on houzz were black-- and while all nice, none stood out particularly. This bed has a long history and some unique features that would disappear into the black.

I LOVE the idea of a dark gray with some green tones-- it fits with my decor and the colors I find relaxing. I also like that it still echoes the original design of the bed. And most importantly (to me), it's sparked my vision again--I have been sitting here putting my bosporus flax fabric up to the screen trying to determine if it will work with the RL plaid blanket. I am imagining other patterns I could use in the room. I can finally "see" a sophisticated but calm room design that incorporates my bed.
    OK, so practical questions now (in bold).. the bed already has a waxed finish. It is layers of acrylic color added on top of a base and then waxed. I assume I need to remove the wax in order to do anything. The best way to do this is to have it sandblasted? Is there a chemical solution that would work as well? I think I do want to layer color much as they did in the original finish.. but perhaps only on the castings as My3dogs suggested. They really are beautiful. I have a little fear of brass. My first inclination was to go with more of a pewter or tarnished silver look-- but that's not even close to what would have been on an iron bed of the era. What do you think? Brass or some other color with metallic finish?

I think I want to use the RL plaid blanket as the place to start. I have seen it in person and it is definitely a sage green and lavender. I also have an eileen fisher pebbled silk quilt.. I think the color was called "marble" but it's a gray green as well with a hint of shine. I'd love to be able to use the Bosporus Flax as curtains.. I've had 10 yards sitting here for years waiting for just the right project. I do tend to swap out bedding-- seasonally and with my moods--but this color scheme gives me a fair amount of flexibility. I won't give up my duvet.. but I have a hemstitch ivory duvet cover that should work well with both winter and summer-- at least to start. I also have the Yorkshire Rose duvet cover from the same collection as the RL Plaid. I don't like it at all -- but it may take on a different character as the room develops.

I am going off to look at iron beds again.. and to create an idea board. Thank you all.. your input helped so much. Dee, your inspiration photo really helped me to see beyond my typical floral patterns--the room is gorgeous, simple and sophisticated! I can take that idea, use my color scheme and add a few more feminine touches and I'd be in heaven!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I havent had an issue with the wax finish coming off my bed either.. It will if I scrape it with my fingernail but otherwise, no.

• erinsean
    11 years ago

I love your bed but not the color. I would paint it black and "wash" the decorations with gold or brass. Also I would probably use just the headboard.....if you need to get a bed frame, that will work. I am not a person who cares for foot boards..they are toe stubbers....lol.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Perhaps it's a climate thing with the wax. I was living in Miami Beach and never used the AC because of the great ocean breeze, so possibly it just didn't cure properly. But even though they were the ones who had to pay for a lot of very expensive lace cleaning, I still wouldn't risk it if it were mine, unless I were mostly using the kind of linens that you can easily bleach, attack with stain removers, or pitch at need.

• tinam61
    11 years ago

I've never had a problem with wax coming off either. Perhaps you didn't let it dry and then buff?

Funky, I too remember when you bought that bed and then those beautiful linens. If I were in your shoes, I would not get rid of the bed. I think darkening is a perfect choice and like My3dogs ideas. Perhaps the bed in black also - not sure about going that dark. I do like both the RL pix - would be a great look.

tina

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really feel like I am on the right track now thanks to you all. I put together an idea board.. much of what's on it, I already own. I ordered the RL blanket. The trunk is not mine--but it's a photo from CL and in this area, there's no shortage of great antique chests.

I've intentionally skipped furniture as I will be starting over with side tables and dressers (which will very likely be in the adjoining dressing room) because I think I could go multiple directions. I'd like a rich wood but I think painted pieces could work too. Also skipped a rug-- which I will need.

Mostly what I am trying to do is bring together textiles and textures to very much scale back the youthful feminine look to move towards something more tailored and sophisticated with a touch of femininity .. if that makes sense. It's where I was trying to go when I first ordered the bed but I just couldnt bring it together. I am following the lead of Dee's photo and editing myself to keep a tailored clean look. For now. Once I have the things in place, I will likely layer in some more femmy elements in lighting and mirrors etc.. but I want to go slow and choose things purposefully.

So what do you think? Am I going in the right direction? I tried to photoshop the bed in a dark gray/griege but my skills didnt cooperate. Much as I'd like to jump on that, I am thinking I'll get it sandblasted and then wait until I move and get everything in place before choosing a specific color. My mind is very much set on a dark gray with green tones though. Black is tempting but just so expected.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Well, I love the blanket, love hyrdangea, and love rust. And I think I was one of the ones going for a dark grey green (Hampshire Grey or close?).

The toile colors go well, but I like the simplicity of the photo above with the plaid.

PS An artistic friend of mine collects rusty things and has for years. She had one source who used to call her a "Rustafarian". lol

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, absolutely, Mtnrd-- you did call for the dark grey green and it was your post that first got me stoked again.. along with Dee's photo and My3dogs' suggestions. I will check Hampshire Grey again.. but I am picturing something definitely in that range but perhaps a bit darker. My mother suggested removing the wax with steel wool and simply adding a layer of paint on top of what's already there. I am not convinced that will be good enough but it won't hurt to try it. I think I must remove the paint on the castings because it seems pretty thick there.

Boy, you are a stickler for editing, Mtnrd!! LOL. I do love the plain look of the Dee's inspiration photo too but I will need something on the windows-- mine aren't as large or pretty as those in the photo. I don't have to use the toile.. I've just been itching to find a place for it. Do you think linen panels or sheers would work better?

Love Rustafarian haha.. and I love crusty old metal objects also. They worked a lot better in my 100 yr old farmhouse than they will in the 60s ranch but I am perfectly ok with my own bedroom deviating a bit from the flavor of the house. It will be my space.. the color scheme will tie it in with the rest of the house, I don't feel that the style needs to conform also.

I think part of what makes the room are the equestrian paintings. I am not a horse person but I do love the old hunting dog or "dog in a field" paintings-- and I think they'll add some of the same vibe. I do have a number of vintage albumen photos also that may work. Oh yeah, it's time to retire my florals .. sigh.

I love the idea of taking this very handsome inspiration room and carrying it's sensibility forward but with some of my personality and flavor. The slightly feminine plaid.. dogs on the wall.. maybe the toile ;).. a touch of antique mirror or glass. I think it will absolutely reflect my personality. I am a jeans and diamonds girl.. not a ruffles and lace girl.

It just feels right finally.. as long as I keep editing my tendency to make it too busy or girly. I long for the simplicity.. but I struggle to maintain it.

Thanks again, Mtnrd-- you've given me new inspiration. My appreciation runneth over!

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

I LOVE the direction you are headed with the room now!! Love that RL blanket & simplicity of it with a possible greenish/grey finish on the bed...love, love, love. Doesn't it feel good to have a new direction you like & incorporating fabric you already have?

I have an extra small bdrm that is my sewing/project room, but at one time I needed a twin bed in there for our GD who would occasionally spend the night. It's a darling Jenny Lind bed (like the one she has in her room), but a couple of weeks ago, I saw an antique metal bed at a consignment shop near our home & I covet it...really covet it!! I probably won't succumb, but you have inspired me to re-think the look with pillow and bedding, and make it more to my liking. I think my DH HATES that I am on this forum...heh heh!!

• tinam61
    11 years ago

Like your board! I have a pillow in that toile in our bedroom and I don't see it with the RL blanket. Mainly I don't see it working with lavender, unless I am reading the blanket colors wrong?

You are off to a good start!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Tina! Glad you think it's a good start-- and no, you aren't reading the plaid wrong. It is lavender.. a solid lavender. I can see that the two may not work together--or that the toile changes the vibe too much. No worries. I have it already so either I use it or I don't.

Funny, I just looked for more images of the blanket which is part of the Yorkshire Rose collection-- and I see it's been discontinued at RL and is now being carried at Sears! I sure hope the quality hasn't changed. I just bought mine on ebay.

Here's another image of the blanket-- notice how it doesn't match the floral at all? The greens are way off and the floral has no blues or lavenders. I guess I was hoping the toile and the RL plaid would coordinate because the greens are so similar... but again, no loss if not.

BTW.. I also have the floral duvet that coordinates with the plaid blanket but I don't really care for it and I don't see it working in this room at all.

• deeinohio
    11 years ago

I also love your mood board!

Isn't it exciting to have ideas bouncing around your head for a new project? I'm glad my pic contributed to your inspiration. I've always loved that photo, but, alas, the style doesn't fit in my world.

I can't wait to see your finished room!

Dee

• yayagal
    11 years ago

It's going to be sooo yummy!!!!

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

Funkyart...you beat me to it. I love RL layering and found the same pic. Have loved the bed too since your first posted it and wouldn't change a thing about it. If you really want to paint and it has the wax finish on it, acetone will remove this. Easy to just clean off like your were cleaning anything else with soap. May remove some of the paint though. Am a green person, so the suggestion before of dark green appeals to me.

Do you like paisley? It would work with the plaid and you can find less feminine patterns. Mensware suit fabric too.

Take care of the RL blanket. I bought one of his cabin blankets 10 years ago at Ross. A King size for $40. Dumb me just kept washing it and is still in use. Today it is one of his cabin blanket collectibles and sells for $400 on the market. Mine is definitely used and lost it's value.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Technicolor, I definitely love to layer and mix patterns also--sometimes to a crazy degree lol! Unfortunately, this wasn't one of RL's winners IMO. I had planned to return the duvet-- and to buy the plaid blanket and I just never did. I never used the duvet so I'll probably try to sell it or give it away.

I know it deviates from the inspiration photo but I expect to layer the room with color and textures if not patterns. I will try to eschew the florals I so love .. but I am seeing mohair or velvet.. maybe in a chair or a cashmere throw. I'll wait to go there.. for now.

I have been researching how to refinish an iron bed and while I think it's very doable, it will be a lot of work. I think I will move in and set up the bed as is and then work on colors and finish. I also love green-- and the finish I selected was much more of a lighter gray green. This just has too much of that aqua green for my taste. I am also not pleased with the ivory/pink castings. I'd love to touch them up now, but that requires removing the wax finish which is a big part of the job.

Thanks to all for the encouragement. I know I didnt call out each of you by name but I appreciate everyone's input!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dee. it's an awesome room design-- and the bed really makes it. I know my room will be different but I do hope to keep the same vibe with a touch more femininity--just a touch though.

I've been scouting vintage paintings for the wall. OUCH. I prefer actual paintings but I may need to go with some painterly vintage albumen photos I already have or prints to start. I *love* the landseer dog prints and have added a few to my idea board.

I am thinking of doing the entire bed in a dark gray and then just adding some dirty metallic details on the castings. I am a little nervous about doing it but pretty confident with a paint brush so what the heck, right??

I am really loving how it's coming together on paper.. I hope it works as well in the room! I will set this room up well before I move.. maybe as soon as Thanksgiving!

• Susan
    11 years ago

i had this same bed back in the eighties! mine was pink too, but no green accents.
    i too love the deeper look you're aiming for. i think it will be dramatic and sophisticated.

• bananafana
    11 years ago

I have an antique iron bed which is stripped back to the original iron and sealed with something. It's a medium to light gray and I love it. The room is not very feminine and looks great with light brown, white, lavender, and a little pink I have in there. Love the medium gray color on the bed. I don't think you'll be unhappy with it.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great, Bananafana! You give me encouragement. I admit to having thought about just sandblasting the bed now and then using it in it's bare condition until I could focus on painting-- but then I read that an iron bed will start oxidizing/rusting in just a few weeks if not sealed/primed.

Funny, I am a pink girl.. love pink clothes and lipstick and nails.. but I really don't like it in my decor..other than fresh flowers. I think the soft sage and lavender is going to be the perfect combo for me.

This bed is remarkably solid and well made. The pictures don't show that.. it stands out even next to the top of the line current manufacturers-- and of course, you add to it that it has been handmade. I love the history of it.. and again, that it so straddles the victorian and craftsman eras.

I will start a new thread as I start pulling bits and pieces together.