Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natureperson_gw

What do you think of this coffee table for my space?

natureperson
10 years ago

Can you give me your opinion on this round reclaimed wood coffee table for my space? It's 34x18. My DH would really like to have an ottoman, so maybe this will work. What do you all think?

Also, I found this at RH, a store I have never really shopped at. I have read some bad reviews about them, but am wondering what your experiences have been with them?

And I would like to find the table cheaper somewhere else, but I can't find it anywhere. It's a little expensive at RH.

http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2110369&categoryId=cat1990139

Comments (29)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

This is similar, but not with a wood top, but the marble might look great with your furniture. I don't know how expensive the RH one is, but this one is $329.

Here is a link that might be useful: CB2 table

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, cyn. That table is half as much as the wood table I posted, which is great! However, it is only 12 inches tall as compared to the wood table at 18 inches tall. I am wondering if it's too low for my sofa, especially since it's next to the ottoman, which is taller.

• folkvictorian
    10 years ago

It's interesting how you posed your question and how you state that "...maybe this will work". I don't get the feeling you're head-over-heels CRAZY about the table and my two cents are that it doesn't work. I like the round-ness of it in your room, but it looks like a high-school shop project that got a solid "B-" grade. It's lunky and offers no grace whatsoever. Do I have an alternative table to offer? Nope, so I'll just slink away now......

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, ogoopogo. I just did and didn't see anything I am interested in.

Does this mean you are not all that excited about the table I posted?

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

folkvictorian, you don't have to slink away. I do like that table. I like the reclaimed wood look and the roundness of the table that brings out the roundness in my windows and built-ins. I also like that the wood color brings out some of my other wood tones.

• xc60
    10 years ago

Do you have more wooden items that color in surrounding rooms, such as cabinets, tables.....? It looks like the railing in background is similar. I can see the table working in your space with decorations in the colors of your room on the table tying it all in all together.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Well, darn. I didn't pay attention to the height! You are right-12" would be pretty short unless your couch is low. Sorry. I should have been more observant.

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

xc60, I have mostly darker wooden furniture in the area and other rooms, but this table also has some darker tones in it. The paint color on the wall behind the sofa is SW Latte, so it is lighter than the Portabello that is on the fireplace wall and others. I thought if I brought in some other colors from the rest of the areas like dark rust/deep red, blues, etc. that the table could work there. I also thought if need be, I could possibly add a bit of a darker stain to the table top.

cyn, that's okay. It's a pretty table, and I do like the metallic base on it.

If you all have an aversion to this table, do you have something else in mind that you think would look better? Or at least an idea of what direction I should go in?

This post was edited by natureperson on Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 21:48

• geokid
    10 years ago

I think for your sectional furniture set-up, an oblong table might work better. This one is similar in style to the RH one, but oval.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cast Base Coffee Table

• geokid
    10 years ago

I really like the look of this table as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Walker Campaign Coffee Table

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, geokid! I like them both, but the 2nd one you posted is round and not oval like the 1st one you posted. I did a mockup showing the 2nd one. I like the metal on it, and I like the dark top. And I love the price! I'm not sure how sturdy it is though since I've not seen it in person.

Tell me what you think of it now?

• mojomom
    10 years ago

I like it and think a round cocktail table works well with your sectional. If you like a metallic base and want to play with different tops, you might also take a look at the Room & Board Classic linked below. It comes in a 36" diameter, 16" tall, with 24 different top options.

Here is a link that might be useful: Room and Board

• geokid
    10 years ago

It is round. I went back and looked at the picture with the ottoman pulled in to make almost a u-shaped sectional, and I thought a round table would work there. The dark brass color is popular right now. I too wonder how sturdy it is and there aren't any reviews yet. Although the side table version has favorable reviews.

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks a lot, mojomom! I'll be looking! I forgot about R&B.

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like the oval table too, but it won't fit with the ottoman there. If I take the ottoman away, then I could put an oval table there, but this one would probably be a little short. The long end of my sectional measures approx. 106 inches from left to inside corner.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I like the Room and Board table and I'd get a wood top that coordinated with the railings behind the sofa. My only concern with the RH table you posted is that I think the reclaimed wood thing is trendy and might look dated in a few years. (And I do have a reclaimed wood console table myself!) I have a R&B coffee table in my living room and it's great quality -- we don't have a store nearby so I was hesitant to order online but after seeing rave reviews both on GW and on the R&B customer reviews, I ordered it and love it!

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, sueb20. I wish I had a R&B around here, but there is not one anywhere near me. I am really liking what I see on their website, however, and this table has great reviews. I'm going to look into this further, but I hesitate to try to match my rails. For some reason, I don't particularly like or understand why builders put in rails that don't match the flooring. It just seems a little off to me when they put the oak colored rails in. I've had that happen in the past few homes we have lived in and it just seems odd.

Thank you!

I get what you are saying about the reclaimed wood being a trend that could be dated in a few years.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Paint your railings black, they'd look super.

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yayagal, that actually sounds wonderful! It sounds like a huge job, but it sounds awesome!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I really like the round one that Geo posted.

• geokid
    10 years ago

A little different idea...you said your husband would like an ottoman. Why not use your current ottoman as a coffee table? Put a tray on it for setting items and it will still have a soft, cushy spot for your feet.

Then you can use a couple c-tables for the sectional. C tables are nice because they don't take up a lot of room and can be moved to where you need them.

You can even use a c-table over the ottoman.

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, holly-kay! Me too.

geokid, thanks so much! Great ideas! He does really want an ottoman, and I think I'll just do something like that, at least for the time being. I guess part of my problem has been that there is way too much of that taupe going on. Maybe if I break it up with a lot of colorful pillows and throws, etc., it won't look like one big blob of taupe.

Can you tell me where you found these pics please? Nice c-tables too!

• geokid
    10 years ago

Sure thing. The table is the Pipe Side Table from West Elm. It looks super easy to replicate if you're handy. And there are a ton of other options from many different sources.

The other two pictures are from Crate and Barrel's Heart of the Home idea page. It's one of my favorite pages on the internet. :-)
    http://www.crateandbarrel.com/photo-gallery-heart-of-the-home

What about a white tray to bring in some of the white from the other side of the room? Or a brightly colored one?
    West Elm has a large one. Or you can buy an inexpensive wood one from Target or BB&B and paint it whatever color you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pipe Side Table

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, geokid!

I also like the idea of the white tray! :)

• erinsean
    10 years ago

I like some of the tables but I really think a glass top round table would look nice. But do like the one geokid posted.

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, grandmaof3. I think a glass top table would give the look of an open space that may be needed there. However, I have decided to use my ottoman as a table for the time being and have started another thread. I would love your opinion if you see my thread.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I don't think the reclaimed wood relates to anything else in the room or rooms we have seen, although i like it in and of itself.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I don't have an opinion on the reclaimed wood aspect of the table, but I do on the metal ring base. I would trip or stub my toe every time I approached it. It's the first thing I notice about the table, and I don't think that's a good thing.

• natureperson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I am no longer going to get a coffee table. I decided to use my ottoman for the time being.

Please see my thread at http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg1113110013398.html?8