Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancybee_2010

How many lamps are in your house?

nancybee_2010
10 years ago

I just got a new lamp for my living room. As I was setting it up, I started wondering... do I have a lamp problem? It seems like I have so many, and I like to keep things uncluttered.

Anyway, I counted my lamps, and I have 13. Not all of them are big table lamps. This includes a piano lamp, a reading lamp, etc. My house is 2800 sq ft. and I have plenty of ceiling lighting. I like the way they look and the light they give.

How many lamps do you have?

Comments (29)

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Nancy, I like the ambience ol lamps also! Such a nice glow rather than a glaring ceiling fixture, although I have them, most on dimmers. As for
    lamps, I have 3 in the great room, 3 in the kitchen, 3 in my MB, 1 in the M bath, 1 in the powder room, 2 in the foyer, 1 in the DR, 2 in guest room # 1, one in guest rooms # 3 and 4, 2 in the family room, and 2 wall lamps in my closet turned mini office. If I counted right, that's 22 in my 2600 sq ft home. Since they're so spread out, it doesn't look like there are that many.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I think I have 27 total (if I didn't miss any) that we use and our house is smaller than yours! Of course, I counted bedside lamps and lamps on bureaus in bedrooms. Didn't count the dining room chandelier, though. I think lamps change the feel of a room at night. I love ambient lighting.

So, if you have a problem, wow, I can't imagine what I have! ;)

• peaches12345
    10 years ago

16 table lamps. My home is about 3000 sq ft with 6 rooms plus 3 baths. And no ceiling fixtures other than chandeliers in the foyer, dining room and breakfast room and recessed lighting in the kitchen. I hate ceiling lighting! Lamps are warm and decorative and I love the soft light. Can't have too many.

This post was edited by patty0315 on Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 20:59

• violetwest
    10 years ago

not enough yet. I have 8 for my 1500 sf house. Still need a few more.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

not enough yet. I have 8 for my 1500 sf house. Still need a few more.

• nancybee_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

that's what I was hoping to hear- you can't have too many lamps! :)

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Well, I just stopped and counted my lamps. The main floor of my house is 2,500 square feet. I have 4 lamps in my MB and 2 in each of the other three bedrooms. There are 3 in my great room plus 2 wall sconces and 1 in my kitchen sitting area. So thats 14 (or 16 if you count the sconces as lamps).
    I also have 3 lamps in the finished area of my lower level.
    Just bought this lamp a few weeks ago:

• TheRedHouse
    10 years ago

I have 13 in just under 1800 sq ft. I have some stored away too. I love lamp light rather than the harsh overheard lighting in some of my rooms. I have a painted shade lamp in my bedroom that gives off the warmest, rosy glow. It's so cozy, inviting and soothing.

• teacats
    10 years ago

HI, my name is Teacats .... and I have a lamp problem ....

24 lamps hereabouts. With a few extras tucked away. 1800 square feet. Basic suburban house; three bedrooms; two bathrooms and one living room.

Constantly looking at lamps in shops like HomeSense; T.J. Maxx .... and on sites like LampPlus and Bellacor ...

But I agree that lamplight is so much warmer, cozier ... charming ....

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I have 28 in two thousand foot house.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

18 in 10 rooms. Four are floor lamps, one is a traditional desk lamp, the rest are table lamps and/or bedside lamps. Only have 2 matching pairs, both in bedrooms.

I guess I'm behind on the lamp collecting!

• Danahills
    10 years ago

I have 21 lamps, plus some ceiling lights. But, I do love the ambience from lamps as compared to ceiling fixtures.

• sable_ca
    10 years ago

15 table and floor lamps in our 1550 ft. home. I didn't count the dining room chandy, a few ceiling lights, some can lights in one bathroom, or the sconces. There are 17 sconces. It's an old house; most of the sconces are original from 1933.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I have 12 in approx a 1000 sq foot space. I do not count the upstairs loft bc we do not go up there as the stairs are a tiny spiral staircase. I am obsessed with lamps! We are in a rental now. I can only imagine how many I will have when we finish building our 2700 sq ft new home!

You almost can't have too many! ;) They give off the best light of any type of lighting I can think of. Of course task lighting in areas like the kitchen are important.

• camlan
    10 years ago

The only rooms in my house that have overhead lighting are the bathroom, dining room and kitchen. I have lamps everywhere.

Even in the hallway, because the lamp is the only source of light in there.

There are 5 lamps in my bedroom, 3 in the study, 6 in the living room, 2 in the dining room (along with the overhead light), 4 in the guest room.

Sometimes I just need a light to see enough to not stub my toes on the furniture. Sometimes I need a lot of light to work read or sew. I like to have options!

Originally, this house must have had gas lights. The rooms with ceiling lights all have lower ceilings than the other rooms, so I'm guessing that was done to run the wiring for the overhead lights. Don't want to lower the ceilings in the other rooms, so lamps it is.

• User
    10 years ago

My lips are sealed....let's just say I don't think you are the one with the lamp problem.

• lolauren
    10 years ago

Hmm.... 8 in 2600 sq ft.... and only 4 (2 pairs) ever get used. Also, two of those were just purchased after several years in this home.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Nine. Four of those are in the library alone, but I really could use another in there esp. for reading and not just ambiance like I usually buy for.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I'm on the low end of the spectrum it seems with only 16. Hmmm, maybe I need to go lamp shopping...LOL!

• luckygal
    10 years ago

I have fewer than I had as gave away/sold at least 6 recently. I think I have 14 (without running around my house counting) but also have 12 wired wall sconces throughout my house.

I love lamplight and lamps but at one time had a lamp on every surface of my LR as well as a floor lamp and it was excessive with the 4 wall sconces as well so I edited that room.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I have 27, but think I missed counting 3. Will have to start over.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

As well as the 22 lamps I have, there are chandeliers or some sort of ceiling fixture, as well as recessed lighting in the kitchen, hallway, alcoves above windows(for hollidaybdecorating),and upstairs family room. All together there are 17 ceiling fixtures of some type, and 1 ceiling fan. I've included lighting above bathroom mirrors. Not included are 3 wall sconces. The chandelier type fixtures are on dimmers, which I keep on every evening, along with lamps on the lowest wattage, usually 25w or 40w. Oy, I had no idea!

• erinsean
    10 years ago

Not counting ceiling lights and under the counter lights, I have a lamp in the kitchen, one in the bathroom, two in a spare room we call the "reading room", three in the MB, two in the computer room, 3 in the living room, one in the laundry room and 3 in the family room. That is 16..

• porkandham
    10 years ago

21 lamps:
    FR - 2
    LR - 6
    ODS's BR - 1
    YDS's BR - 3
    MBR - 3
    MBA - 1
    Guest BR - 3
    Office - 1
    Playroom - 1

7 sconces

2 light fixtures over mirrors in bathrooms

2 chandeliers

3 flush mount fixtures

1 semi flush mount

Plenty of the dreaded recessed can lights

• jakabedy
    10 years ago
    1. Or maybe 13. It depends on your definition of "lamp". I'm including anything that isn't hard-wired.

MBR - 2 on nightstands, 1 on DH's dresser.
    Music Room - 1 floor lamp, 1 swag over the music stand area.
    Guest Room - 1 wall-mounted, 1 floor lamp
    Office- 2 swag over big desk, 1 on small desk, 1 floor lamp
    DR - one on antique radio.
    LR - one floor lamp, one table lamp.

If I add in interior hard-wired fixtures, the total rises to 24 total sources of electric light. And that includes any recessed lights, the light in the shower and the range hood!

Our house is 2,000 square feet, but very open, and without a lot of furniture to provide much surface area for table lamps. It also doesn't have any overhead lighting. It gets a little dark in here.

Just realized I should include DH's 1958 Seeburg jukebox, which glows pretty impressively when plugged in! So, grand total: 29.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

Count me in the "can't stand light from overhead fixtures" camp. It is so harsh! I think general overhead lighting except in a kitchen or a bathroom has 2 uses...matching socks and, oh gee, I can't think of a second one.

We are in a small rental condo while the new house is being built. Although I put almost everything in storage, I have 10 lamps in use here.

• rosesstink
    10 years ago

Not enough? I only have hard wired lighting in the kitchen and bathrooms. The 11 lamps I have don't seem like enough for 1400 sf. Where to put them though? Please post pics of your rooms with lots of lamps!

• nancybee_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes, it would be fun to see all the lamps!

I'm glad to see I'm not really a hoarder of lamps! We moved recently and they were really a pain to pack. I got rid of several, and didn't want to start getting too many again. I also got rid of lots of books, which as you know are easy to pack but hard to lift!

• crl_
    10 years ago

Not nearly enough. One floor lamp currently in operation. Two table lamps that just arrived via UPS I need to unpack.

Our bedrooms do have wall sconces. But we need more lamps.