Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1288772

Free-standing Storage Cabinets?

User
10 years ago

I recently started working from home. My office is in the finished 4th bedroom over the garage. It's a large room but has only a very small (3 ft) closet. I've been using the room for storage of unused d�cor items, furniture and construction tools as I get into various projects. I'm finding I can't stand working there in such disarray. I need more organized storage but don't want to build out a new, larger closet or install built-ins as I probably will only be working a couple years longer.

I looked at big box store options for free-standing storage cabinets, but they don't get good reviews for quality or ease of assembly. The assembled examples I saw IRL look terrible.

Have any of you had good experience with RTA pantry-type cabinets you can recommend? I'd like dark cabinets no taller than 6', total 8' wide (multiple 24" widths would work), with interior removable, adjustable shelves. Just to clarify, I realize I may need to anchor the cabinets to the wall for stability, but I'm not attaching them as if I were constructing a kitchen or laundry room, etc. I just need to house vacuum cleaner, ironing board, portable sewing machine, craft supplies, gift wrapping supplies, extra blankets, small d�cor items, etc.

I hope someone has a silver bullet for me!

TIA!!

Comments (5)

• Fori
    10 years ago

Too bad about your height limitations--the IKEA wardrobe system is pretty close to what you want I think, but it's tall.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

The height limitation may be a real issue.

There are about a million no longer used entertainment cabinets out there for the old big box tv sets...it would be great if you could find one to use where the interior could be reworked for your needs. With the amount you could get one for, you may be able to pay someone to fix the guts too and then get something that is really custom to your needs. And it would look more like an armoire rather than just a storage cabinet.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fori - Yes that's one of the problems. The ceiling slopes so I only have about a 4 ft width of 95" high wall to accommodate tall wardrobes. I might be able to get two of the PAX wardrobes in but that's not enough for the items I need to store at floor level as opposed to up high.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

We had these in my old laundry room before the remodel. We had them for at least 15 years....no problems. Each one is actually 2 units put together so the bottom one might fit your height requirements. Im sure we purchased them at Lowes or HD.....just wanted to let you know that the cheap ones from there did hold up. They are in our garage now.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie - I already have one entertainment center being relocated to this room. My transportation options are also limited. The RTA route works best for that reason and for ability to dispose or re-home the cabs in a couple of years. I really don't want to be "stuck" with another behemoth later.

joanie - They look very much like one of the options I saw at Lowes. The one's at Lowes looked nowhere near as nice though. I wonder if they're made less sturdy now? It could also be that the examples were assembled by a 13 year old with no tools or ability. Your cabinets give me some hope.

Thanks!