Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catsgurleygirl

Tricky Room #2

catsgurleygirl
10 years ago

Okay creative people, here is the other room I am trying to figure out. It is technically the "formal" living room, and it is a great space, but as you will see, it is tricky too. I am thinking that we will just put a tv over that mantle. We have thought about putting it in the corner (building cabinets out from the book shelves and putting the tv on that, putting the tv on the 90 degree wall to the book shelves, but it just seems best for it to be above the fireplace. My husband and I are not "formal" people, but I still kind of hate to have a huge tv over the mantle, but again, as i said, this room is tricky too. Now I know the room looks very big and spacious and it is a good size, but these pictures have been stretched and doctored, but they show the space better than the ones I took, but I will post both (also for those who posted on my other morning/hearth room post, you can see the red sofa in the other room from this one to show the proximity of the two room):

Comments (12)

• catsgurleygirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view of the room.

• catsgurleygirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My unedited pics that don't show the room very well, but give a more realistic view of space:

• catsgurleygirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, last one:

• catsgurleygirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, I lied, this is the last one:

• teacats
    10 years ago

Perhaps consider having the bookcases re-worked to hold the TV and all of its additional "stuff" -- PLUS have doors fitted to the bottom half of the new shelves to hide stuff of all sorts and kinds.

Then add an artwork or mirror (maybe a round mirror) over the fireplace.

You could add a sofa in front of the fireplace (with a coffee table)

Then add two matching armchairs in front of the window -- pulled forward to the edge of the fireplace to leave a "walkway" in front of the windows. The chairs could even be swivels that would allow for watching the TV, the fireplace and conversation.

On the wall where the black armoire now sits -- add a long buffet or credenza with a couple of lamps and a grid of artworks above it .....

• trailrunner
    10 years ago

I agree with teacats..any way you can hide the TV would be so much better. It won't be an addition to the room as far as looks.

A VERY pretty room .Love the windows and arches and columnsâ¦a shame to make the TV a focal point. c

• tuxedord2
    10 years ago

We had a similar layout in a previous house. We had our built in reconfigured and we mounted a flat screen TV on the book case wall on a swing out arm - then hid it behind doors. When we wanted to watch tv, doors came open and the TV could be extended quite far out and tilted/turned in any direction. It was great. Also nice to have TV and fireplace on the same wall so that focal point is fire place (even though as we all know the TV really is). Your home is beautiful - love the arches and windows.

• tuxedord2
    10 years ago

We had a similar layout in a previous house. We had our built in reconfigured and we mounted a flat screen TV on the book case wall on a swing out arm - then hid it behind doors. When we wanted to watch tv, doors came open and the TV could be extended quite far out and tilted/turned in any direction. It was great. Also nice to have TV and fireplace on the same wall so that focal point is fire place (even though as we all know the TV really is). Your home is beautiful - love the arches and windows.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

If you are not formal people why not make a sitting area near the fireplace with two chairs & shared side table, maybe have a decorative carved pool table or game table or something you would enjoy in that room? Then, a small wall mounted TV could be added in an inconspicuous place (but not the fireplace). Or, you could have an area for a nice desk or whatever. If you both do a lot of executive hosting you may want to keep it formal but otherwise why have a room just to look at or a little used room?

• teacats
    10 years ago

Of course you could switch the identity of the room itself -- perhaps use it as your formal dining space .... always lovely to be able to eat by the fireplace! :)

The dining room could become a home office/library ....

Or a game room ... as wisely mentioned above ...

• jlj48
    10 years ago

Oh Wow! What a pretty room! Are you sure you want a tv in there? Just saying... Rethinking the space may be a good idea for such a nice room.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love your room, it is fabulous. I have to agree that the room could be repurposed. Would you consider making your morning room a small tv room and use the lovely formal room as a morning room? Or, as teacats suggested make it your formal dining room and use your dining room as the living room. In our other home I swapped the living room and dining room as we have a nice size family room . The dining room became a small living room and the living room is used as a large formal dining room.