Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mj2012_gw

Swag or Move Chandelier?

MJ2012
9 years ago

I posted the following in Lighting, but since it seems pretty quiet over there and this is fundamentally a "will it look good" question, I'm linking to it here in the hopes that I will get some more feedback:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lighting/msg1116171729816.html?2

Thank you!

Comments (10)

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I'm not a big fan of swagging but if this is truly a temporary table then I would swag for now.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

If you search on Houzz you'll find some great examples of swagged dining lights. I like this example because they have a ceiling plate instead of just a hook, which makes it look more "installed".

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Alachua Cabinets & Cabinetry Busby Cabinets

Your light fixture:

Here is a link that might be useful: link to lighting post

• User
    9 years ago

Never swag.

• MJ2012
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you - this is helpful. I admit that I don't like the swag look in the image you uploaded. We will either move the fixture or the table. I just need to decide which.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

It's hard to give a great answer w/o photos. I think a swag can be kind of cozy and charming, in a cozy charming space, like say breakfast nook.

But it is always a bit of a compromise and looks as such. I would not do it in a formal space if I could avoid it.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

That was one of the nicer looking swagged lights I found. While I could live with it temporarily to avoid the expense and trouble of moving it more than once, it's nice that you now can see that it's not for you!

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

I'd swag it until you've got your forever table/hutch. Yes it will look cheesy for a couple years but the mess of patching that hole twice doesn't seem worth it to me!

From what I've seen, when done correctly, patching holes makes a huge mess. We had the same situation in our current house - we were planning on getting a new table and I was so afraid the chandelier would get dirty or broken during construction that I left it out completely but forgot to have the old hole patched while the plaster guy did his work. To patch the old hole, he had to come back and practically hermetically seal most of the room so the overspray from the sanding/texture wouldn't mess up our freshly painted walls, trim, etc.

Either way make sure your electrician leaves enough cord up in the ceiling so you can change things later if you want!

• MJ2012
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, moving it twice is out of the question, so for now we'll just hang it in the existing location. We can move the table out a little more than we'd like, and center it under the light (or close, at least) during dinner parties. It's a temporary fix, like swagging would have been, but less holes in the ceiling.

I'll post a picture when it's done. :)

• MJ2012
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The chandelier was installed today and here's the picture, as promised. We are very happy. :)

We moved the table underneath it and the distance is acceptable for passing through. It feels weird having the table so far out but I think that's just because we're not used to it.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

That looks nice. I also would have said no swag had I seen this in time! I am just not a fan of swagged chandeliers. Glad you moved the table instead! :)