Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

Best toasters.....x post

joaniepoanie
10 years ago

Also posted this on kitchen forum....

Our Oster toaster died today so need to replace. It was an inexpensive model from Target that lasted not quite two years so would like to get something a little more reliable that will last longer. Need a regular 4 slice...not a toaster oven...thanks for any recommendations!

Comments (14)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Joanie, I dithered for ages over a new toaster. It seems like they are all made in China and I always try to buy made in the USA first. I finally bought a Krups (made in China). So far so good. It toasts quite nicely and evenly with a bagel setting and an extra lift to make hard to remove toast easier to get out. I have only had it for several months and it's only a two slice but it's available in a four slice model also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here it is in a four slice model

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I find toasters so messy and hate those little open grids on the bottom that get all the crumbs stuck in them and leave crumbs constantly falling through on the counter. Are there any you can keep clean simply, that don't do this?

• lynn_r_ct
    10 years ago

My toaster just died the other day too. Have to manually hold the level down to use it. It is a Cuisinart that we "inherited" from my MIL and I found it no better than any other one I've had. Plan to buy a Black Friday weekend cheapy one. I never used the lift - didn't need it. Did have a bagel setting but our old toaster didn't have one and in all honesty can't say that I saw any difference in the finished product. As far as the crumbs, I don't know of any solution to that issue other that to do what I do, which is to remove the tray holding it over the garbage and shake like crazy, then turn it upside down and do the same.

One thing I would watch out for because it drove me nutso, the electrical wire came out of the front of the toaster where the lever is, and not in the back which would have made more sense to me. PITA this way.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

We have the Cuisinart and are very happy with it. We had an Oster that didn't last very long, plus it didn't actually toast. The Cuisinart actually toasts! I think they have to meet so many safety standards, the less expensive ones don't toast.

I find the bagel setting works great. The bagels burn if they are not on the bagel setting. Although, my NYC friends would be mortified for toasting bagels at all.

It is easy to clean the crumb tray. Just did it the other day.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I keep my toaster on a decorative tray, which catches any crumbs that manage to fall (even after doing what lynn does).

I've been through 3 toasters in 20 years. The first, a wedding present, lasted maybe 2 years. Bought the same brand and model as a replacement (a cheapo brand, nothing special) and that lasted 16 years, with almost daily use. The current one hardly gets used, I don't keep bread in the house any more. It's a Black and Decker, 2 slice, with a few settings, probably purchased at Target. I like the bagel setting for day old bagels (it only toasts one side).

My niece and nephew tell me I make the best toast. They live in a house without a toaster so toast is a novelty to them. I even have a cookie cutter that cuts the toast into puzzle pieces. When they visit I get the toaster out of the pantry and buy bread. I still laugh thinking about my husband saying to them "where'd you find bread?" as if maybe we always had it and he didn't know where to find it.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Over the years I've been through lots of toasters. No, they don't make 'em like they used to. Paying a lot doesn't always ensure it will last. The last two I've bought have been Cuisinart (2 and 4 slice versions) and they seem to have held up well and I'm satisfied that I've gotten my money's worth.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I inherited a used Breville and it's wonderful. Not sure if I'll spend that much $$ to replace it when it dies, but so far it's worked great for at least 7 years.

• justsaying
    10 years ago

I also have the Breville (4 slice) toaster. I didn't want to pay that much either but I didn't want to keep replacing my toaster so I took the leap (20% off at BBB). It has been 6 years now and no problem except, every once in a while, crumbs will get lodged around the electronics. To remedy that, we just turn it upside down and shake. I love the Breville line of products (seems to be made better than most) and am hoping Santa brings me their glass electric tea kettle - it is gorgeous!

• justsaying
    10 years ago

I also have the Breville (4 slice) toaster. I didn't want to pay that much either but I didn't want to keep replacing my toaster so I took the leap (20% off at BBB). It has been 6 years now and no problem except, every once in a while, crumbs will get lodged around the electronics. To remedy that, we just turn it upside down and shake. I love the Breville line of products (seems to be made better than most) and am hoping Santa brings me their glass electric tea kettle - it is gorgeous!

• peaches12345
    10 years ago

I have had a Kitchen Aid 4 slice for probably 5+ years. It's been great. Toasts beautifully with many darkness settings, and bagel, defrost, and warm settings also. It is a slimline model, wider than it is deep so it doesn't protrude too much on the countertop. I just checked online to see if it had a model name and all I see KA offering now is that boxy square vintage style toaster, like my Mom had in her kitchen in the 40s and 50s.

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I braved Black Friday and went to BBB ...the only brands they had were Calphalon, Cuisinart and an off brand. Did not see any Brevilles...just toaster ovens. Really disappointed they did not have more brands/selection. Didn't feel like fighting the crowds at Target, Macys etc. so ended up with the Cuisenart two slice...realized it is usually just DH and me and we often do not eat breakfast at the same time so really don't need a four slice. We'll see how it holds up....thanks all!

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I braved Black Friday and went to BBB ...the only brands they had were Calphalon, Cuisinart and an off brand. Did not see any Brevilles...just toaster ovens. Really disappointed they did not have more brands/selection. Didn't feel like fighting the crowds at Target, Macys etc. so ended up with the Cuisenart two slice...realized it is usually just DH and me and we often do not eat breakfast at the same time so really don't need a four slice. We'll see how it holds up....thanks all!

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

Hated my Cuisinart (can't recall the model, but it was white and I'm sure it was toward the bottom of the line), hate my current Black & Decker (stainless) from BBB. Both 2-slice models.

My "test" factor is toasting a bagel, since that's what I primarily use the toaster for. I use the bagel setting, but the bagel is never evenly toasted -- there's always one part that comes out much darker (even close to black). These are not oversized bagels I'm putting in there, and I have even experimented with different timings.

(By the way, I'm probably the person that the phrase "She can't even boil water" was coined for. So I'm sure my bagel problems are user-error!)

And there is nothing wrong with toasting a bagel. Granted, NY bagels may just taste better than others, so lucky NYers can take pleasure in that! (Many say it's the water, I think it's the water and the NY air!)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I need a new toaster for our second home (the old one was a 2-slicer, what was i thinking?).

In our CT house we have a Dualit, which we have now had for 10+ years. Works the same as it did brand new, which is to say not so great.

First of all, if you set your toast on a certain number and the toaster is cold, it will not get toasted. If you choose that setting after the toaster has been in use for a while, it could burn toast on the same setting. What then, exactly, does a setting "mean" if it does different things at different times. In addition, we toast things half way, then turn them around to toast them the other half. I'm so used to doing it that I don't even think about it anymore.

On the other hand, i don't just tolerate it on my counter, I like it there! I am so form-over-function, I will probably buy it again, as long as it doesn't electrocute anyone.

Here is a link that might be useful: It is sure is purty...