Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
totallyblessed_gw

leopard/animal print carpet?

totallyblessed
16 years ago

Hello everyone,

I posted this over on the building forum, and then realized that I should probably ask over here with you savvy decorators. :o)

Has anyone here put leopard/animal print carpet in your home? Do you have a photo/photos that you would be willing to share?

I brought a sample home from a carpet store an hour away. DH is considering the leopard print for his home office in our new home. That room is off of our master suite, as well as the great room (2 entrances). He is having a hard time picturing leopard carpet in that room, but really likes the idea.

I've seen it in magazine photos, but of course don't seem to be able to find one to help him visualize. I'd really appreciate any photos/inspiration photos you would be willing to share, so he can get a better idea of what it would look like.

Also, if you've done animal print, are you happy with it? Have you tired of it quickly? Do you find it easy/difficult to decorate around?

Thanks for any advice/photos. :o)

Comments (20)

• oofasis
    16 years ago

Totally, I've been thinking that's what I want to do, too! Not an entire room, but as a runner on our staircase. We're taking out the staircase's existing carpeting (all the carpeting on the second floor, actually) and replacing it with cherry planks. I've been eyeing a cheetah print...but it's a bold statement to make, so I'm not sure enough yet to make the commitment. Our home is an eclectic mix of traditional, transitional and modern. I think it would work, but I'd be interested to get feedback from others. You've asked some good questions.

• happy2bme
    16 years ago

I have also been thinking of using some kind of animal print wall to wall carpet. Rcently I did see in a magazine leopard print carpeting in a posh NYC apartment but it was not the usual dark brown and black coloring. It was a little calmer with camel tones instead, very nice! Hope someone can post pictures here too, I would love to see more photos!

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oofasis~

Your ideas sound great. Wish you had already done it so I could see your photos. :o) he, he.

happy2beme~

Our sample is camel/black tones. It's really nice and rich looking (and expensive... but at least it's only one room!).

Oh man, I am really hoping someone will have photos for us. I am pretty sure I like the look, but dh really needs to see a photo.

Please??!! :o)

• labradoodlelady
    16 years ago

I can't answer your question about carpeting, but I can say that I've had living room furniture upholstered in leopard tapestry, and in six years haven't grown the least bit tired of it.

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

I don't have any pictures either, but I also am a big fan of leopard print. To my eye, it almost reads as a neutral -- it's a small print with subtle colors. I am so excited about what you all are planning on doing: I can't wait to see your pictures!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

I think the style you may be searching for is called British Colonial? That reminds me of maybe grasscloth on the walls, a big palm tree in the corner, campaign chests and some sparkly silver objects in the room? Maybe I missed, but that's what comes to mind when I picture the perfect spot for a leopard rug. It can be really stunning. Maybe if you google images on "british colonial decor" you will find some inspiration?

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oceanna~

Oh, hadn't thought to google that. I'll try that out. Thanks!

Here's a photo of a bathroom I found on "rate my space". She papered her ceiling in leopard. If you turn the computer upside down (LOL!) you can get an idea of what carpet might look like.

http://ratemyspace.hgtv.com/SNC/ViewItem.aspx?pguid=6db6be3f-1720-4ba3-a081-999042c09b6b&itemguid=d0a5ebfd-ed7a-46f3-84b4-12076e4ed046

I'm not sure if the link works this way.... computer illiterate here.

If it works, what do you think? Okay for an entire floor of wall to wall (with lots of furniture breaking it up)?! Opinions?

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ummm... maybe this is how the link works? Oh bother... I stink at computers.....

;op

Here is a link that might be useful: leopard ceiling

• les917
    16 years ago

Try this - I googled 'leopard print carpet', then clicked on images:

leopard print

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

Look what I found!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild animal stair runners

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

More rugs for you!!

Here is a link that might be useful: More Animal Print Rugs

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

threedgrad~ I think you found oofasis' runner for her! Good sleuthing. :o)

Thanks Les for the google link. I looked thru the 1st few pages. I did see one store that had leopard print carpet in their showroom. I'm not sure I'm loving the look across a floor. Maybe I'll steer him towards a neutral berber or sisal, and just toss a leopard throw across his chair?! :o)

• patricianat
    16 years ago

and for the real lovers of cats and their fur, I found the perfect bathroom accoutrement.

{{!gwi}}

• justgotabme
    16 years ago

I found some great pictures for you on the New York Social Diary. You'll have to scroll down. Took me seven clicks with my curser below the scroll bar. There are some that I think will really help your hubby visualize it in his study even though these pictures are of a bedroom. I doubt your hubby will want the blue walls though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leopard Carpeted Room

• User
    16 years ago

Here's a DR.

Jim

• oofasis
    16 years ago

Ooooh, threed, I was drooling! I think I found what I love.
    {{!gwi}}
    I havenÂt yet shopped for specific carpet as the project is a good month or more away from starting, but my local flooring store carries Shaw carpets. I may stop in there this weekend to see if they can get me a sample. Thanks so much!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Wow that's a swanky bathroom, Totallyblessed!

Labradoodlelady, can you post a pic of your LR furniture? I'd love to see it.

• nicoletouk
    16 years ago

Well, I can help you halfway. I have cheetah print runner going up my curved staircase and the upstairs foyer is carpeted with it as well. I am so bummed I don't have a pic but I can tell you I love it and so does everyone - seriously, everyone - who sees it!

I have had it installed for about three months now and I still love looking at it. I seriously doubt I will tire of it for a very long time. It looks fab with my red walls and doesn't compete with the Persian rugs in the front foyer. It is not a super small print yet it works with almost everything.

Another plus is that is hides dirt and lint! It rarely looks like it needs vacuuming, even in a high traffic area. I have included a link to my pattern...

Nicole

Here is a link that might be useful: Stanton Carpet Serengeti in Wild Root

• totallyblessed
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Patricia~ That is a hoot! :o)

justgotta~ Thanks for the link. Yep, no blue walls in his future, but the carpet looks great to me. I'll show him your link. Thanks. :O)

Jim~ Nice photo. Very soothing room. Thank you. That will really help dh "envision"a leopard carpet. Thank you!

oofasis~ Hey, I like that pattern. Very bold, and quite wild. I think it would amazing as a runner!!

Nicole~ Your home sounds lovely. I'm a RED girl, so I wish you had a photo to share. I'm not sure I could stand the gorgeousness of RED walls AND a sexy leopard print. :o)

Wow! Wish you had a photo to share. Got any friends with a digital camera? We'll walk you thru step by step how to share the photo with us. :o) I'd so love to see it. Sounds lovely!

• oofasis
    16 years ago

Nigel-Bigel, please can you take a pic to share??? I love the sample you posted.