Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlene915

Need ideas for basement paint color

marlene915
10 years ago

I must repaint my basement and am wondering if I can change the color. The carpet unfortunately is green and I think we can get a few more years out of it. Nobody in the family likes our current color scheme. The walls are a pale version of the greenish carpet and the half wall on the side is actually a darker shade of green. My husband wants to paint the walls gray or a dark color to de-emphasize the green. I think the paint color needs to tie in with the floor but haven't found anything that works. The sofa which is a brownish-gray doesn't match particularly well either. Any ideas? It's a fairly large space and there is very little natural light.

Comments (11)

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

look at SW kestrel white. It is a "dark" white that goes with everything.

• rbattaglia24
    10 years ago

How about a grey...

SW - Dorian Gray, Mindful Gray or maybe Link Gray which looks more green/gray

• Scarlett001
    10 years ago

I like the idea of a nice grey paint. I am not a fan of green, but if you have to make it work it seems that grey is one good option.

Do you want to "warm" up the room a bit? If so, maybe there is some sort of beige paint that someone could recommend that would tie the sofa and carpets together - definitely a certain type of beige needed or else it could look not so good.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I urge you to use B.M. golden straw. It's light and warm and makes a room ooooh so cozy plus it will look great with both brown and green. I have it in my family room and everyone walks in and mentions how pretty the color looks.

Here is a link that might be useful: golden straw

• amykath
    10 years ago

I think your basement is lovely! I am a big fan of SW Accessible Beige. It is a nice gray beige.

• geogirl1
    10 years ago

Ok, so I'm going to be the "other" opinion. It is a dark basement, and I am assuming this is a space that you hang out with your family? I'd go for a lot more "fun". Greys, beiges and what not are for sophisticated spaces that you want to look "finished". This is your family hang out area. I'd be looking at painting walls different colors to accent their use. Keep one wall the green you have, add a nice blue to another wall, play up that lovely burnt orange, maybe in the back of the bookcase, choose a dark color, maybe plum, for one wall. Make it fun. These calm colors are way too boring for a family room basement. Ok, so, I did say I would be the "other" opinion. :)

• marlene915
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I'm going to get some more paint chips and try some alternatives.

• mojomom
    10 years ago

We're using a warm gray in our small basement project. It is the same color we used upstairs and at the time we first used this color elsewhere we also had a greenish carpet and it worked well although when we chose the gray we knew we would be replacing the carpet the next year. Here's the color now (pardon the mess, I've been playing with a mood board, so a lot is make believe)

• marlene915
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mojomom,
    What is the name of the color that you are using?

• mojomom
    10 years ago

It is a custom mix of 1/2 SW versatile gray lightened with 1/2 SW popular gray. Elsewhere we have used versatile gray on a few walls as accent. The difference is subtle enough that it just plays with depth.

• carree
    10 years ago

Grant beige or white sand.. Both are Benjamin Moore and should work nicely. Another option is edge comb grey which is actually more beige than grey.