Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjsee_gw

Benjamin Moore ADVANCE Waterborne Alkyd--any personal experience?

mjsee
12 years ago

Just found a brochure for this paint at my Ben Moore store...I was wondering if anyone had personal experience with it?

An alkyd paint that is low VOC and cleans up with soap water seems...too good to be true. from the literatue:

Outstanding flow and leveling

Cures to a hard,durable finish

Cleans up with soap and water-no solvents required

Extended open time

High-end lacquer-like finish

Available in unlimited colors

So--anyone used it? (I suppose I could post in the paint forum...but I "know" y'all better!)

Here is a link that might be useful: ADVANCE Waterborne alkyd

Comments (10)

• chucksmom
    12 years ago

A poster on the HGTV message boards (I hope my post isn't pulled for saying this) used it on her kitchen cabinets and raved about it. I use BM IMPERVO (alkyd) on my trim and cabinets and absolute love it. Next time I'm going to try the advance, sounds wonderful.

• oldhouse1
    12 years ago

We had our new kitchen cabinet doors sprayed with BM Advance and I had a lot of hand painting on additional pieces my husband built. I just loved it. It goes on beautifully and once cured is hard as nails. We have used BM Aura for the many painting projects we always have on the go but just decided today that I'm going to use the Advance for our trim. My husband is the builder and I am the painter. Dread it all the time but with Advance I must say it's so easy to use that I don't complain nearly as much.

• mjsee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

EXCELLENT! That was what I had hoped. I used to use IMPERVO...but I got tired of dealing with turpentine. Last round of woodwork I did I used Aura...and I wasn't as happy. Latex just isn't as "tough" as alkyd.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

We are about to be doing a lot of trim work -- I'm glad to hear about this.

• davisgard
    12 years ago

The only "complaint" I have heard about it is that, since it is partly oil based, it can yellow slightly. That would probably matter only if you were aiming for a bright white.

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

Finally this formulation is coming out! I read about it here maybe a couple of years ago? And the local BM folks (have two stores; they're one of the dominant franchisers in the area) had not heard of it yet. (Go gweb : )) They said that waterborne alkyd is the 'holy grail' of trim paint and if BM were selling it, they'd have it.

oldhouse, I appreciate your experience--glad to hear that it works as well as it sounds. I have some trim to paint soon (because we're getting our carpets changed out for hardwood next week! a bit excited : )) and I'll get it in Advance.

• arbpdl
    12 years ago

Great to hear! What's the sheen like?

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

mjsee,
    I tried getting info on Advance last March
    but I went to the Paint forum to ask.
    Nice to see it's finally getting attention.
    I used it on my cabs probably last April
    and since you brought it up I just went to the kitchen to
    give it a really good finger nail test.
    Not a mark.
    Now the only thing that was mentioned was the "yellowing"aspect.(not to the degree of oil)
    So ~I ordered the White Linen without the yellow pigment in it .
    Sounds dumb huh?
    Well anyway, I love the color.
    Funny how Advance has been out here for at least a year but I can't get my paint store to even acknowledge Full Spectrum.
    Jaysmom49 also used Advance ...Here:

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg1114593817044.html?18

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

Sorry you know I meant Linen White :)

• cruzinpattis
    9 years ago

I've been doing a lot of research on paint and BM Advance sounds like it's the best and easiest to use.
    I want to paint my bathroom builder grade cabinet.
    Only draw back is, Read Benjamin Moore Paints information on bubbling paint. moisture causes air bubbles.
    Do not have an exhaust or vent in bathroom.
    How can I paint the cabinet and use the bathroom?
    Only have one.