Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmp3_gw

Full Frontal View in NYC baths

gmp3
9 years ago

Okay, it is beautiful, although a bit cold for my taste, and certainly one could install shades so a drone didn't snap a pic, but at the end of the article they mention FACING toilets enclosed in clear glass. Ummmm love the hubby but no thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: NYT Full Frontal Bath

Comments (23)

• violetwest
    9 years ago

"exhibitionism is an unfortunate by-product"

wha?

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Even with full privacy I would not bathe in a tub out in the center of the bathroom. It just looks cold.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

ugh, that's one of my pet peeves--hate all those tubs right out in the middle of rooms. Tubs should be in cozy and sheltered!

And tubs in front of windows look nice, but they are very disconcerting at night.

• maxmillion_gw
    9 years ago

WOW. Who knew facing toilets could be a trend??? I must be bourgeois too! There was a Houzz article a while back about wild remodeling stories where someone requested facing toilet seats and all the commenters thought it was crazy.

Here it is: "A stranger request came from a client of an Orange Country, California, architect who wishes to remain anonymous. âÂÂI had a custom residential client awhile ago ask that his master bathroom be equipped with his-and-her toilets,â the architect says. âÂÂNo problem. But then he said, âÂÂBe sure theyâÂÂre in the same enclosure, facing each other.â I asked why, and he explained that he wanted to share everything with his dating partners and that if they were creeped out by sharing their bodily functions, then he would know they werenâÂÂt the right one with whom to establish a long term relationship.âÂÂ"

Here is a link that might be useful: [31 True Tales of Remodeling Gone Wild[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/31-true-tales-of-remodeling-gone-wild-stsetivw-vs~30653403)

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Old SNL Skit "the love toilet"

Here is a link that might be useful:

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I was just about to post that clip!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I saw this article today. I didn't care much about the bathrooms (that Candide tub is out by now, isn't it, I swooned over that one 7 or 8 yrs ago and own a copy), which were pretty run of the mill really. (gee, they are white, gee, they have marble).

I want those views! And I don't care what room they are in. I would put plywood over those tubs and have a dinner party in there if I had that view.

As for the lack of privacy at one's most private moments, that is plain stupid. Although it might have been better for the Pistorius household. I did note that 2/3rd opted for fritting (not frosting, apparently). I am sure fritting costs more than frosting and frosting is out, out.

As for some of the even less private configurations suggested above, it gets stupider and stupider. The more space you can put between a couple and their bodily functions, the longer the marriage, not the other way around. Double sinks, good. Water closets, better. His and hers bathrooms, even better. His and hers' bathrooms on opposite sides of the bedroom, now we are talking. And maybe the censors who didn't let Lucy and Ricky share a bed were on to something, too!

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

While visiting AU and during a dinner party....Someone yelled for everyone to come to the balcony. There in plain day (actually at night), were a couple in full buff taking a shower together. This was 25 years ago and the concept of a full glass shower on an outside wall didn't occur to me as different at the time. Due to I just wasn't thinking. Was more worried about a balcony holding up a ton of people. Now you have me wondering what they were thinking with a design like this. I love my Aussies, they live life as they will.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

While visiting AU and during a dinner party....Someone yelled for everyone to come to the balcony. There in plain day (actually at night), were a couple in full buff taking a shower together. This was 25 years ago and the concept of a full glass shower on an outside wall didn't occur to me as different at the time. Due to I just wasn't thinking. Was more worried about a balcony holding up a ton of people. Now you have me wondering what they were thinking with a design like this. I love my Aussies, they live life as they will.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Toilet paper commercials, ED commercials, teen trends in clothing, butt implants now this. Just this week alone I have seen/heard/read articles about bathroom use and lack of privacy to put it all delicately. We are on the slippery slope and headed for the land fill. Good luck with that.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I am waiting for the next permutation: the clear glass toilet.

• melsouth
    9 years ago

Pal,

I can't stop laughing at that.

• gmp3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Exactly Pal, I'm baffled by the whole thing, as well as other elements of the culture,Maybe the glass toilet is a metaphor for the private becoming excruciatingly public.

• User
    9 years ago

Well, some would say that out culture is way too uptight about nudity and even bodily functions... If we could just be a bit more relaxed about the natural happenings then we could also, just possibly, lose a few of the negative aspects that making them so "private" encourage. Less humiliation for some who suffer from natural issues, less embarrassment may result in quicker trips to docs when there are issues, greater body awareness and comfort with what it is meant to do, etc.

This post was edited by athomeinva on Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 13:50

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

The clear toilet does exist, at least in the context of this cleanser ad.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Being uptight about bodily functions has done a pretty good job of keeping us from getting dysentery. I notice that in the real world, exhortations to "loosen up" usually come from people looking to show me their children's diapers on a restaurant table, not from people eager to view the effluvia of others. When it goes in the other direction, it's suddenly a different story.

There are other ways to make toilets invisible that don't get used much by designers. The fixture and lid can easily be hidden inside a long floating bench, which can be quite amusing if your guests have been drinking.

One larger observation: I think it's revealing when very wealthy people mimic hotels and restaurants and retail spaces. It suggests they've never seen good design inside a finer private home.

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

I do think some of those bathrooms are gorgeous, but I could not survive without curtains in a city. I would feel ok with having a tub in front of a large window if I lived in the middle of a forest on a large property (hopefully with some good watchdogs keeping an eye out for wayward hikers), but I'd need curtains in the city. I'm just not comfortable with sharing my bath/shower/toilet usage with an entire city.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I used to live in an apartment in NYC on the 32nd floor and the River. I had a wall of windows in the LR and BR. I would never have covered them. The nearest building was two blocks away. Sure, they could have had some sort of super duper telescope binoculars. But so what, if they did that it just meant a random person was watching another random person, nude or in flagrante delicto or whatever. And with so many apartments and 32+ floors to choose from, I don't think anybody would've lingered on mine for very long; surely there were better places to peek! Unless I was plotting world domination, not sure why it matters if people could see my life.

Our house in CT in on nine fenced, acres, wooded on the periphery, and with only one neighbor very minimally in view in only one direction, which is next to our garage for the most part. I had no WT at all anywhere except the guest room, until AnneDeighnaugh started doing all of those posts on WT and I got the bug.

Our MBR is on the first floor, and looks our over patios and the pond. My tub is in a windowed alcove, formerly unfettered. I did once happen upon a landscaper whilst I was in the tub, but its really just your shoulders, so, really, hey.

But AnnieD got me hankering for WT and so now we have them in our MBR suite. What I don't like is we tend to close them and forget to open them, and are now less likely to stop and notice the trees or the weather or, today the dusting sof now. It's all AnnieD's fault. But the landscaper has agreed to come back to work I hear. : )

• User
    9 years ago

We can be more relaxed about our body without being dirty or just dumb (I know the type that you speak of, they are nitwits).

This post was edited by athomeinva on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 13:18

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

I just think it is "wasteful" somehow to Have a view like that, and orient the home so that it is only seen in 120 second increments.

Had a friend who once had a primary residence at a community that had a large lake. They didn't have a lake view lot. But the only room in their house with a lake view was the 2 kids' bathroom. What a waste! Architect should have reversed the floor plan and had the master suite with a lake view.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Julie, actually in these apartments, the primary public rooms also
    had great views ---I was just joking about bringing the dining table in.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Well, you might not have a problem but your neighbors might.

The point of this particular kind of exhibitionism is that few people can afford it. Showering in front of a floor to ceiling window is no big deal in a rural area, but in Manhattan, cheap apartments don't have such lofty isolation. It's a way to flaunt what you've got, in every sense.

I almost took a semi penthouse apartment some years ago. It was built in the '60s, so of course the bathrooms were on the interior.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Yes athomeinva that is the rallying cry that has us here in the mire of bad taste and vulgarity. There is nothing wrong with privacy and modesty. It is not the problem. It is very sad how far astray we have been drug. It is the "Emperors New Clothes" and I am enjoying the good laugh!!