Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malhgold_gw

Help with Window Treatments for Kitchen

malhgold
14 years ago

Been on the kitchen forum for a couple of years and am close to finishing up my kitchen reno. I need some help with window shades for my kitchen. The kitchen has a "modern" vibe, but I like to mix different elements throughout my house. The adjacent family room has a full brick wall fireplace. There will be a wood table in the family room and a couple of leopard print carved wood chairs flanking the fireplace. I was thinking of doing the windows in some sort of woven wood to warm up the room, but don't know if that's going to be too strong of a statement and compete with the other elements in the kitchen. My other thoughts are either a simple shade in either a black or a white fabric. The windows are 36" square, so they are a big part of the range wall. Here are some pics. Thanks in advance!!

There are now 3 pendant lights:

This is only to see the fireplace. The cornice and furniture is gone and the walls are all white.

Comments (21)

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

MALHGOLD, your kitchen looks to be sleek and contemporary, and IMO, a woven wood Roman(say *that* 3 times fast!)shades in *either* dark/light stain would work. An abstract print in a fabric would also be a possibility. ;o)

• boysrus2
    14 years ago

malhgold, your kitchen is beautiful. Great mix of black, gray and wood. I can see a modern graphic print in a relaxed roman shade.

• gwbr54
    14 years ago

Due to proximity to range, maybe metal blinds. Newer style looks like stainless steel, or have tiny holes in each vane. Your kitchen has an original, personal vibe -- looks great!

Here is a link that might be useful: metal blinds

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! I've thought about a graphic print as well. Actually saw a couple at Calico Corners that might work. My only concern with the print was that I have a Great Room off the kitchen that is a little more traditional in feel and I wasn't sure about the transition. You access it where the French Door is to the right of the refrigerator.

gwbr54 - thanks for the metal blind suggestion. I just don't really want to add any more stainless. With the stainless hood and frig, I want to try and warm it up a little.

• jejvtr
    14 years ago

Mal thanks for the peak at your lovely new space! Looking good

I love fabrics and they can warm up the room in a heart beat. The concern with fabrics and woven is the proximity to the range, as another posted noted. The cleanability factor would need to be taken into acct. I suppose a good quality washable fabric would be easier than woven wood (too many lil crevices)

Another option: Faux wood blinds, I have the off white in my sunroom. After research heeded the issue of real wood warping in sun/heat/wet areas. You can not tell the difference btwn real vs faux - they have held up very well and look great

The other ? is how would they be used - are they for privacy, keeping heat/sun out or are they decorative?

Will the family room have same/similiar treatments?

Link to Faux wood blinds
    http://www.justblinds.com/dynamic/product.cfm?productID=169

Quick search @ Smith n Noble -
    * when you click on sample the view it is a lackluster photo imo ** need to use your imagination
    http://www.smithandnoble.com/sn/zoom_swatch_product.jsp?materialId=9911&prod_oid=253442&nav_cat=-18001&actual_mat_id=9911

http://www.smithandnoble.com/sn/zoom_swatch_product.jsp?materialId=4413&prod_oid=253442&nav_cat=-18001&actual_mat_id=4413

http://www.smithandnoble.com/sn/zoom_swatch_product.jsp?materialId=20387&prod_oid=253442&nav_cat=-18001&actual_mat_id=20387

http://www.smithandnoble.com/sn/zoom_swatch_product.jsp?materialId=9939&prod_oid=253442&nav_cat=-18001&actual_mat_id=9939

http://www.smithandnoble.com/sn/zoom_swatch_product.jsp?materialId=9135&prod_oid=253442&nav_cat=-18001&actual_mat_id=9135

Ok I'm hungry for asparagus & Eggs!

GL

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What about a dark walnut stained woven wood shade? Is that too many different "colors"? Black cabs, gray cabs, oak island? I asked this question on the kitchen forum when I was considering wood blinds and they all suggested a light shade in the same color family as the floor and island. I'm just not feeling that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dark Walnut Woven Wood Shade

• karinl
    14 years ago

Neat kitchen, great faucet set with the hose. I'm quite struck by the comment by GWBR about the proximity of the stove to the window treatments. It does seem you're limited to something flat that stays put, and non-flammable would be a really nice feature!

I wonder if stained glass would be an option. It depends on your needs for privacy/seeing out during the day, and how the window opens, but maybe you could find an idea at the website linked below (this artist is in the Vancouver, BC, area, in Canada).

You can do such a dramatic variety of styles in glass that you can go almost anywhere on the modern/traditional spectrum.

Will there be a backsplash?

KarinL

Here is a link that might be useful: Stained glass windows

• karinl
    14 years ago

Trial thread resurrection... this is one of the disappeared threads that I had bookmarked and can still access via the bookmark, and I want to see if posting will bring it back into existence.

KarinL

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone...I'm still working on this. In terms of proximity to the range, I'm not really worried about this. With an inside mount, the shade would be 12" from the edge of the range and 99.9% of the time would be only half way down the window. These are not being used for privacy or sun blocking.

I am more than likely doing a stacked white subway tile to the ceiling surrounding a carrara marble mini mosaic behind the range. I am thinking of doing either a white linen or white cotton duck relaxed roman or regular roman. Yes, the window treatments will be in the family room as well, that now has sliders instead of the picture window as the ledge area has been removed. Here is a more recent pic of the kitchen.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bumping one last time.

thanks!

• amysrq
    14 years ago

mahlgold, where did your light fixtures come from?

Are you still pondering WTs?

• booboo60
    14 years ago

I am "seeing" a woven shade possibly a bamboo type that picks up the color of your island. A woven blind would add some texture I think that would be a nice addition with all the stainless. Looks like you even have a chair with a little woven feature to it! Beautiful kitchen!!

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

I think woven roman shade would be really nice in there. Good addition of some texture to balance out all the smooth surfaces.

Something in the tone of the floor and island.

Your kitchen is looking great!

• sallymo2015
    14 years ago

How about something really graphic in design? I've been looking at some fabrics from Kathryn Ireland (saw her at the Atlanta Market last week). I'll give the link to the roman shades she did below. She has other fabrics available, and although it's not exactly your style, with the mix you have in the kitchen you might be able to use something as unique as one of those fabrics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roman shade

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

I also vote for a woven wood in the tone of your island.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

amysrq - globe pendants are from West Elm.

Most are voting for woven wood. So i guess no one likes the white linen idea. Guess I'll go back to look through all the woven wood samples I have sitting around here.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

How about a roller shade from TheShadeStore, such as this metallic silver "woven lattice" shade made of Chilewich fabric: They have lots of other options, too.
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Chilewich at TheShadeStore

• htnspz
    14 years ago

I would do a fabric roman shade. It would really soften the hard surfaces.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

palimpsest - I actually have samples already on the way from The Shade Store. How funny! I'm hoping something works for me.

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

This is just what I would do...so here goes:

Brighten the kitchen up with a strong color, such as peacock-turquoise, wooden shutters, then some similar colored kitchen towels/mits/area rugs. Pull in the colors in varying shades for a fruit bowl, artwork, etc. Or you could do the same with any color (salmon, celadon, heather, etc.).

I agree that there should not be any kind of flammable materials on those windows due to the closeness of the stove.

Your kitchen is awesome...can't wait to see it completed.

Here is a link that might be useful: towels

• megpie77
    14 years ago

I would be inclined to do a simple tailored roman shade in the color of the cabintry on the opposing wall (blue-ish/gray?). I would also concider silk fabric to give it some glam, texture and depth. (like PB's dupioni silk drapery), though not so practical for a kitchen, but hey-I'm stubborn.
    My second choice would be a woven wood shade similar in color to the island.
    I just love your kitchen!