Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novacat_2010

is corner basket too skimpy?

novacat_2010
9 years ago

should i ditch it leaving the corner bare? or do i need height?

Comments (29)

• debbie1031
    9 years ago

I think the basket is too small and disappears into your floor due to the similar coloring. On a side note, I love your blue paint color! Would you mind sharing the color?

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bm imperial gray. so do you think i should just get rid of the basket?, replace it with something else about the same size?, or get something a little taller?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Agree it's too small. Why do I want to turn the side table so it's lengthwise next to the sofa?

I also wanted to say I love your wall color combos, but I wanted to ask what the gray brown paint color is.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Yes, you need something taller and lighter. We are all more interested in the rest of the room!
    Mind sharing pictures of the entire room?

• surya55_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful room from what I can see however I think the basket should go completely. Position the side table in the center of the space already there so it "fills that corner", leaving space on both sides. When this is done, you'll need to move the painting a little higher above the lamp. The painting will automatically be "centered" in the space provided. You can play around with it before doing anything permanent.

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bm kingsport gray. yeah, i tried to turn that table lengthwise against the sofa but it leaves too much space, and then it looks like i'd have to add something else, or push the couch over. didn't work. so....should i just get rid of the basket and leave the corner empty?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

What if you put something tall in the basket? Maybe the reason it looks sparse is because the basket is empty.

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bm kingsport gray. yeah, i tried to turn that table lengthwise against the sofa but it leaves too much space, and then it looks like i'd have to add something else, or push the couch over. didn't work. so....should i just get rid of the basket and leave the corner empty?

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Either ditch the basket or put it at front/side of FP. I would leave the table horizontal to the wall, but pull it out several inches. Everything doesn't have to be/shouldn't be pushed against the walls. Looks like a pretty room.

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes...i"ll push the table over a little more , pull it out a a little more, and raise the picture, (maybe I'll need a little bigger pic?)

thanks all....i LOVE this site!

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

The picture is not only too small, but it's in an awkward place. Would love to see the rest of the room.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Bring the table out a bit, move the lamp towards the couch a bit more and then put the picture a bit higher and closer to the lamp. Try the picture so that it is snug to the shade and stays over the table, but just a bit higher where the shade is narrower. I don;t know if that makes sense.

I think it looks like the corner needs something in it because the picture is partially grounded and perhaps you feel that the rest of it needs to be. You may not need anything in the corner if the entire picture is grounded.

Just a thought.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I agree with tribbrix. Could you put something in the basket? You could get a wider basket and fill it with wood for the fireplace. That would look lovely.

Very nice room!

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

so i pulled the table out a bit skooshed the lamp over a bit moved and raised the picture...better? oh, and i removed the basket

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

It is, and its fine w/o the basket. However, that painting is SO small and I don't think works where you have it. I'd either find a smaller wall space for it or lower it so that it's hanging just to the right of the lamp, about one inch from the surface of the table. That would actually look kind of cool, I think.

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

Agreed, that painting isn't working for you. You need a bigger one - maybe a grouping of 3, so a bigger one and a similar sized one or slightly larger, all in the same color way and similar theme. I think you could pull the table over a little more towards the corner, and maybe put the basket right next to couch???
    Lovely room, wonderful colors. And I love how you see that blue in the mirror on the gray wall - gorgeous!

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

What do you have hanging over the sofa?

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i figured someone was going to ask me that question, right now nothing! I focused on the vignette in the corner because i am stumped about what to put over the sofa. actually thats why i went small with the existing picture. also, as you can see the side tables dont match and neither do the lamps (and one is higher that the other). I convince myself its "eclectic" but maybe it doesnt work? maybe someone could help me figure out what to put over the couch? def out of balance needs something on the other side of the sofa, or putting something big over the sofa and scratch the idea of any side pics?

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i do like the way that picture now reflects in the mirror since i raised it. its what you see at the angle when you walk in

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

It seems to me that both tables you've got on either side of the sofa are discordant with the rest of the room. The lower one looks, to me, like a bedside table, and it's too low for someone on the sofa to put a drink down; the one on the right looks like (and I suspect is) a bar, meant for a dining room or kitchen, and it's too tall for the sofa. There is a fine line between eclectic and discordant, I think.

the eclectic collection of lamps is nice, but yes, I'd want the two next to the sofa to be the same height and somewhere in the same genre of each other. Right now, I'd switch the lamp you have next to the chair with the square-shaded lamp by the sofa, and if you have to you can always put the shorter lamp on a nice stack of books to raise it up to be level with the other lamp.

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the wood table is def a sofa table, but, you're right. i read that a sofa side table should be about 2" lower than the arm of the sofa. mine is about 4" shorter than the arm. i guess sofa tables comes in different heights...who knew?

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the wood table is def a sofa table, but, you're right. i read that a sofa side table should be about 2" lower than the arm of the sofa. mine is about 4" shorter than the arm. i guess sofa tables comes in different heights...who knew?

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

so sorry for these repeat postings of mine. dont know has this keeps happening

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I like the vignette on the right side of the couch. That is, for me, eclectic. What you have to decide is do you like it and then work with it.

There is no doubt that the left side is out-of-balance in a visual weight-wise way. The lamp on the left table is too light visually. I'm just wondering if the table and lamp by your chair might be taller and give more presence to balance the right side. Try it just for proportions and visual balance to see if it works. It may not work decoratively but rather than buying new try it, as I mentioned, just for proportion and balance.

Or if you have a lamp somewhere else in the house with stronger lines try it there. Again just to see if it works before buying something else.

Again, just suggestions.

I love playing with my rooms but nothing needs to be played with right now so I'll play with your room. :)

• erinsean
    9 years ago

I like all the ideas people have given you....now my two cents. I would center the couch on the wall....looks like you have it over to the left a little. I would center the glass/ metal table you have on the right side of your couch ....between the couch and the wall corner. I would either put another smallish picture over your rleft hand table also or take the one away and put a bigger peice of art over your couch. Lamps are okay but you have three different types of shades.....would look better to me if all the shades were the same shape...preferrably like the one beside your easy chair.

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes the sofa is off center. I did that because if I move it over it would be too close to the fireplace? I tried the visually heavier lamp on the left side and it does give more balance. So I will look for another lamp and maybe matching lampshades. I will post a pic of the switch up of lamps when I get this computer to cooperate

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

got the computer up and running. so here's a pic of the other lamp on the left side. it really does look more balanced.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yes, much better. And I apologize for saying that that side table looks like a bedside table. I thought it was the kind where the drawers go to the floor. definitely a sofa table!

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

apoligize?? if you didnt say that, i would have never known about the 2" rule! lol. we all received an education. You , for sure, got a good eye