Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhbaskets_gw

My Thanksgiving Centerpiece

nhbaskets
9 years ago

I just finished my Thanksgiving dining room table centerpiece. Must say, I'm pleased with how it came out. Hoping the gourds make it to Thanksgiving! Haven't decided on tablecloth yet and need to get a new one as I'll be adding a table onto the end which will make the full table 132" long. Do they make tablecloths that long?

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspiration from Pinterest

Comments (33)

• jill302
    9 years ago

Beautiful, your table is perfect for Thanksgiving.

• User
    9 years ago

Beautiful. And your table is really beautiful. I say skip the table cloth and go with chargers instead!

Here is my centerpiece from last year, when I hosted. It's an old fence post I found on my property, and I cut it, sanded it, drilled holes for tea light candles, filled the post holes with juniper, and had it on a runner of brown burlap with greenery and mini punkins around it. Here it is on my DR window sill dressed for Christmas/Winter

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love it Tibbrix! I would love to show the beautiful cherry wood of my table, but because I'm adding another table onto the end in order to fit more people, I really need to do a tablecloth.

• User
    9 years ago

Ahem, no, you do not! So what if there's another table? It'll look rustic and wonderful. The Pilgrims and Indians did NOT have tablecloths! It'll look awesome. Or, put just a small cloth on the added table if it's not an attractive table. JMHO, of course!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Very pretty! Did you make the box/tray? If not, where did you find it?

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, joanie. Actually, I used 3 square black metal trays I found at the C&B outlet near our house. They go well with our dining room light so thought it would work. Here's a close up of one.

• ttodd
    9 years ago

Very nice!

• caminnc
    9 years ago

Just beautiful ladies!!!

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Very Pretty NHBaskets. Those little trays are great. Great reminder that I have to get planning my Thanksgiving dinner. I have a girl weekend next week and have to work the whole week before. I think I'll be paring things down a little.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

NH, your centerpiece looks wonderful. I think your table looks wonderful bare but if you need a custom table cloth contact Tricia at Roughlinen.com.

Last year my gourds lasted way beyond Thanksgiving though my small pumpkins didn't fare so well.

Tib, I love your centerpiece as well. You are so talented.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Wow, so lovely! You make me feel like the Thanksgiving Grinch.

• awm03
    9 years ago

nhbaskets, that is really, really pretty! And Tib, I love yours too.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, and I was thinking of changing up the table decor. Thanks for sharing your inspiring decorations.

• teacats
    9 years ago

nhbaskets: You can find a tablecloth 70x140 on Amazon .... just type into the Search bar ..."tablecloth 140" .....

nhbaskets and Tib: Your centerpieces look amazing!!! Really wonderful use of color and balance .....very creative! :)

• User
    9 years ago

Thanks HK. I love it and it can be used year round, which is very cool.

I thought others would put pics of theirs up. I did not mean to hijack nh's thread! I apologize, NH!

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Beautiful!

(both of yours!)

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Would love to see what others have done for center pieces. Please share!

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

That is really beatiful! Both are, actually. And I love your chairs, nhbaskets. You just reminded me that I promised myself I'd have my centerpiece planned before this weekend so I could work on it next week. I need to get on that! Thanks for sharing.

• User
    9 years ago

Very clever to use three vessels instead of one long one--- you can use any combination of the three in so many ways. Love the colors and that the entire thing is low enough to converse over. Nice job!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

My table fully extended with 4 leaves is 126"....I use a 70x144" tablecloth then. Try Ebay. Lenox, Waterford, Ralph Lauren, lots of choices for wash and dry, little ironing if you don't want to bother with dry cleaning and professional pressing.

And great centerpieces. I haven't come up with one that's perfect for my table at full sized, it always looks a little too 'centered' with only one.

• springroz
    9 years ago

It would look nice with 3 small square table clothes put at angles. Then some of the cherry will show in between.

LOVE the center pieces!

Edited to correct auto-correct.

This post was edited by springroz on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 10:47

• User
    9 years ago

Only eight of us at this year's Thanksgiving table.....which may seem to closely resemble a table set for Another Holiday :-)

I hadn't used the Lenox tablecloth in four or five years, so today we got that out and since I wanted something less formal than That Other Holiday we used the dishes i havent used for years. They are "oversized" and that seems better for Thanksgiving than The Other Holiday and with only eight the table isn't crowded by those huge plates. No colored glassware, but bright red napkins and candles. The silver container is a reproduction footbath which will contain a low mound of red roses and green thistle.

The dishes are in three different patterns to mix and match and here i am using two of them, amazed at how the beautifully the green patterned rim of one type plate goes with the new green damask on the chairs. Thanksgiving is my ramp up to You Know What, obviously!!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Very pretty! Do you set then aside when it's time to serve?

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

Such beautifully festive tables! I love the idea of using individual trays, rather than something large (storage is always in my mind).

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kswl, love your table and those walls are to die for!

I ended up ordering a white tablecloth from WS. They have them up to 160". Good to know! I'm planning on overlaying another tablecloth on the diagonal to bring in some color.

• User
    9 years ago

Thank you NH, and fwiw I think you will be happy with a white cloth. They look good layered or alone, and they do protect your table somewhat. I like thick cotton tablecloths in a sturdy twill with hemstitched edges or an all cotton damask that isn't too busy. The best part is that they can be bleached! (We are a messy lot.).

I hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving ðÂÂÂð°ð·

• musicteacher
    9 years ago

I love your table. Your comment on hoping the gourds would last had me laughing. My little Paddington (who looks like a cross between a golden retriever and a basset hound) , somehow has managed to pull down all but two of my gourds. I see him chomping and he looks up at me with half a gourd between his paws. I feel so mean taking them away from him - the soulful stare he gives!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

One of my kids just had a project where they were assigned a colony and had to convince students (pilgrims) to immigrate to their colony. This involved dressing in costume, an elaborate 3d trifold, and bribes (excuse me, tokens). Alas, food was not allowed. Our DD decided to give away "quill pens" (regular pens she wrapped in twine with a feather) as something a pilgrim may have taken on a voyage. (Her first thought was more akin to ye olde airline amenity kit, LOL).

Our first stop was to Goodwill to find something for a costume (amazingly, we always find good stuff for school plays and such there), and when we walked in we spotted this guy (12 bucks!) :

He was pressed in to service to display the "quill pens" (below) she gave to "colonists" but I think he will be part of our ThxG, too. Too tall for the table, maybe filled with apples on the buffet?

• teacats
    9 years ago

MTN: Brillant!!!! Seriously brilliant! Just LOVE the whole idea -- and the results! :)

(((""ye olde airline amenity kits" LOL!!!!! -- I remember those wonderful kits from YEARS ago -- been flying since the aircraft were DC3s ..... I even remember food served on real china, real silverware and real glassware ......)))

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Aww, thanks, Teacats, she was happy with how they turned out. I could not believe our $12 find!

PS We did have fun thinking of what a ye olde amenity kit might have. Talc in a little cotton pouch? Bark to brush your teeth? A calico hanky?

• User
    9 years ago

Mtn., if you're having a large gathering for Thanksgiving, a fun thing to do to seat everyone is to place a Scrabble tile on each plate⦠or something, face down, each different from the other. Put it's partner tile in your new turkey and pass it around. Everyone picks a tile out of the turkey, and then they have to find the matching tile on the plate, and that is their seat. It's a cute little game people are amused by, it prevents any awkwardness as to "where should I sit?", But leave the seat at the head of the table for the hostess, I guess yourself.

Also fun to use are the pieces from those memory games. I have the ones of animal prints by a specific artist from the Boston MFA, which is what I used last year (I have also used the Scrabble tiles), so the person who picked the penguin had to find the plate with the matching penguin chip, etc. There is also a memory game of famous portraitists, i.e.: Picasso, Renoir, etc.

My point is, the turkey could be a vessel to carry the pieces people pick to start finding their seat.

• User
    9 years ago

This is the memory game from the MFA I used last year

Here is a link that might be useful: David Sheskin's Artful Animals Memory Game

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Tibb, cutest idea ever! I think we will only be 10 or 12, no may not work for us. But I might steal that idea for another event, I like it. How many do you have at your table?

• User
    9 years ago

I did the Scrabble pieces for a dinner party of 14, and last year, when I used the memory game pieces, I had @ 12, so not a huge gathering. It is fun watching everyone walking around trying to find their matching piece. Maybe combine that with musical chairs. Lol.