Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

New chair

Holly- Kay
10 years ago

Here is the new chair, the green is much lighter than the sample leather. Excuse the lamps, they will be replaced.

Comments (27)

• chucksmom
    10 years ago

Nice chair. Why am I excusing the lamps? That vintage standing lamp is wonderful! Other one, not so much.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Nice chair . . . it looks super comfy, too! (LOL) Two lamps next to one another is certainly redundant, but we know that you were probably just trying them both out to see if either worked. The floor lamp is wonderful, but is it too tall for the chair? I can't tell for sure if the bottom of the shade is above the eyeline of someone sitting there.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will be getting new lamps and not sure if I will be using a floor lamp at all. I like the chair but it seems incongruous there. The height of the sofa arms sets it off by itself. I really feel that I need a chair on that end of the room but not liking how it looks in the living room. The leather is also much lighter than the sample was. I think it would look better in the room if it was a darker green. I may decide to use it in my office and look for a different chair for that end of the room. I would really like two chairs there but there is not enough room for two. A chair and ottoman would give one extra seat.

Our dog has claimed the chair as his own!

• romy718
    10 years ago

I like the chair. It looks comfy but also has an elegance about it. The arm style is pretty. It looks like a nice corner to sit and read a book. How about an accent pillow with colors that tie it to the sofa?

• amykath
    10 years ago

If I sat in that comfy chair I would never get up!

Its very nice and looks sooooo comfortable!

• peaches12345
    10 years ago

How about some more photos of the room so we can see how it fits in with the sofa and the rest of the décor. Love the color, but again need to see the whole picture.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

On the sample the color was more of a light olive green. The end result is a very light grayed green. The lighting makes it look even lighter than IRL.

The French doors will be stained in a mid to dark reddish walnut and I think that will help. I also want to have panels hung at the doors and that will add another layer for interest. I am not sure that either of the fabrics that I purchased for pillows will work with this color as it is so different than expected. This weekend I will be trying to pull some things together to see what works. Also the paint really needs to be a darker tone but I want to get the rest of the items in place before I try to decide on a color.

I will take some pics of the overall room after I get home from the shop this evening.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a pic showing the chair with the sofa.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is a closer shot. The floor lamp won't stay there and the table lamp will be replaced.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And this is from the French door end to the other end.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This isoneofthe fabrics I purchased to have pillows made from.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Did you kick your poor little dog out of his chair to take those pics? The chair does look like a grayed green. I love it! It looks great with rug & your sofa. I think it might be your paint color throwing it off? The fabric will look great on the sofa. I'm not sure you even need a pillow on the chair (I know, I suggested a pillow).

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Romy. Poor little dog thinks he owns everything. My other little pupsters is just glad to have a chair to call her own.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Love seeing the pictures of your home:) I decided to play a little with colors. You have a lot going on! I sort of liked replacing some of the action with a more sedated palette:

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Rug without pattern. (I think the new chair color blends in nicely).

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

(Don't shoot me, now I'm panicking, wondering whether the rug is new!!)

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol OB, no the rug isn't new and even if it was I would appreciate your help. Funny that you should take out the large Charles Wysocki. My DMIL has been longing for that print and last time she was here I told her she can have it as I am looking to do something different there. I have to admit that I like a lot of pattern. The chairs and rug are from my library as they have the deep brick color of the sofa in them. For now the patterned chairs stay but I may move the new H&M chair into my office and replace it with a Jessica Charles piece that I love. That is all up in the air right now. The wall color would have looked great with my other chairs but it s too light with this furniture.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Phew! I love lots of pattern too but I'm also attracted to contrast and colors that 'ground'. Your room looks very cozy and I really liked the close-up of your new chair (love the nail trim detail).

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I told DH tonight that I may use it in my office and get the Jessica Charles piece that I love. He thinks I should let him use it in his garage. Ummmm.....no, I am not thinking an expensive chair in the garage will work for me.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

hah, a H&M chair for the garage? Not a chance!

I love the chair, btw. I think if you go with OB's suggestion and get a darker rug with an antiqued olive green you may ground the space and bring out the chair color more. You can even do a pattern.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol Gooster. That's what I told him. I like the suggestion of a dark olive for a carpet. I would have to do a pattern. Solid is too much like wtw for my liking.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

The chair is very very nice! While I love the soft gray green of the leather, it sounds that you may be disappointed that it isn't what you were expecting. I know that feeling when something doesn't match the vision of how I expect it to look in my head. But given a bit of time, the reality starts to grow on you. From the pics that i see, I also love it with the rug! I am sure you will find a nice paint color to look good with all the elements

• User
    10 years ago

Like the chair, Holly Kay, it looks comfy! Love the dog, and I have a lamp exactly like the standing one, vintage, from my mother's house, it is providing light for me this very minute.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kellie, I am a bit disappointed. I love the chair. It is stately enough to hold it's own with the imposing Teton sofa. I also LOVE the leather and the color of the leather. I just think it is too light with the rest of my colors. However it is darker IRL than it looks in the pictures. My Yorkie KoKo is loving it. She decided tonight that she was sitting on it instead of Murphy, my Havanese.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

Holly - it is sometimes hard to separate expectation from reality initially, but I can think back on plenty of fortunate disappointments in my life that turned out to a better choice than what I had made! I hope you discover you love it! The color looks so nice in the pics. And you know that dogs are always such a great judge of nice things so you will quickly follow suit!

• erinsean
    10 years ago

I like your new chair...color and all. I would like to see you take away the floor lamp and then pull the chair out more. It looks a little lonesome back there. Pull the chair out enough so that the lamp on the end table shines on the chair and the couch. I think I would like a light colored plain rug. You room looks so nice and cozy.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Gof3. It is really growing on me. Honestly it seems like every time I get something new in furnishings it takes a bit of time to embrace and love it. The leather is so beautiful on it.

I think you actually hit the nail on the head about the chair looking lonely. It needs to be moved forward for sure. I bit the bullet and bought the Jessica Charles chair also but I don't think I have room for it in the living room but I may if I move the desk to the wall beside the GF clock. I plan on giving that desk to my DD.