Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

The Right (and Wrong) Way to Hang Window Drapery Panels

I found an interesting blog (linked below) called "The Right (and Wrong) Way to Hang Window Drapery Panels". See what you think. Maybe lots of this is common knowledge among interior decorators but I am still learning. Is the blogger correct? Do you agree?

Here is a link that might be useful: The Right (and Wrong) Way to Hang Window Drapery Panels

Comments (7)

• ratherbesewing
    10 years ago

I think she is totally correct--hang those treatments high and wide. Unfortunately, all windows are not that straightforward. Sometimes they run into walls, have transoms and eyebrow windows, slider doors, etc. In the end, we must make the best decision for the room.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Thank you for posting that link. I am in the process of figuring out how to reuse & rehang a pair of panels. Very helpful!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Romy, you are welcome! I'm glad it is helping you, too. :)

Carol

• chispa
    10 years ago

I think people have their own preferences. The designer I had worked with has a tendency to hang them too low and make the panels too short. Not my taste, so I made sure she and her drapery person knew exactly the measurements I wanted. Don't expect someone else to read your mind!

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I agree with making the rod wide enough that the fabric can clear the window. As for "hang 'em high" theory, I'm not fond of seeing a lot of bare wall between the upper frame and the rod when the drapes are open.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I agree that hanging them wide is helpful for exposing more glass and light, but the height of the treatment depends on other elements as well including, as graywings suggests, how much wall space do you want to see above the window, if you are using an additional inside mount of say a wooden blind, how high the ceilings are, what trim molding or crown molding you may or may not have, the style of the rod, etc.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I'm very curious about the way she says its the "correct" way, then proceeds to advocate hanging a rod 1/2 way between the ceiling and the top of the window. In my experience designing window treatments professionally there are 2 "correct" placements to hang the rod. One is at the top of the window and the other is at the ceiling or the bottom of the crown or cove moulding at the ceiling.
    Halfway to the ceiling is incorrect in any application.
    All her high examples are at ceiling or at the crown moulding.

Incidentally, the 84" panel length is standard length for floor length panels where rod is hung at top of windows in most standard American houses.
    As the trend continues to hang the rods at ceiling height it's getting more common to find off-the-shelf panels in the 92"-96" range.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County