Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franksmom_2010

The powder room evolves again

franksmom_2010
11 years ago

This is what our powder room looked like when we moved in. I don't think I need to point out all of the areas of concern.

And this was the door. Hollow core, beat up, scratched, holes drilled in it, and very unflattering hardware.

We didn't have the time or budget to really do much with it, but I felt like I had to do something. We changed the towel and TP holder, added a curtain, and changed the light fixture. I know that getting rid of the combo paper towel and TP holder wasn't a practical choice, but sometimes aesthetics just win. The ugly door stayed.

Oh, and I had this little shelf that was just the right size for the wall facing the toilet, so I painted it the green from the toile.

It was a great improvement, but after a while, it just seemed a bit bland and boring. And stark. I decided on a paint color, and then found a fabulous fabric remanant to make a new window treatment with. Now, I've lived with white walls for decades, so actually putting a color on the wall was a big hurdle.

I almost chickened out on this project many times, but kept at it and here we are today:

The total budget for this last step was just about $220. The biggest expense was hardware and paint, but most everything else came off of clearance racks, thrift stores, and ebay. Replacing the door wasn't in the budget (it's not a standard size) so it was cleaned, patched, sanded, primed and painted. I added the mirror to give a little more light to the room and heft to the door. It worked!

I was really happy with the end result, but wanted something lighter for the spring and summer, so I shopped the closets for accessories, and made up another WT out of fabric I already had. The towels were left over from the former green.

And that's it! I know that some consider beige dated/boring/whatever, but I can be fickle with fabrics and accessories, so changing out to navy or red or pink or almost anything else will work without having to redo the whole room.

Comments (15)

• yayagal
    11 years ago

You should be very proud of your accomplishment and you did it all yourself!!! Bravo!!

• User
    11 years ago

Wow...great looking room. I love the freshness of it all. The fabric at the bottom pic looks different from the one on the window ??? And I kind of liked that combo towel/tp holder...I sure remember those :)

You did great and I thought it was a new door ! c

• DLM2000-GW
    11 years ago

I don't think you chickened out at all - you created a beautiful room that meets your subdued design needs. It's not boring in any way!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Very nice!

• imk505
    11 years ago

Lovely!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

It looks wonderful! Congratulations!

• imk505
    11 years ago

What is the paint color on the walls?

• User
    11 years ago

It looks great! I really like your new valance. The paint color made a huge difference compared to the stark walls. I also like that you can change out with the seasons. Yay! :)

• franksmom_2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much!

I'm still not totally satisfied with the accessories on the shelf, but I'm glad to have it all finished for the holidays. I just got that door hung Thanksgiving morning!

The paint color is "Parachute Silk" from Behr. I wanted something warmer than the white, but not too gray or golden. And I'm afraid of much darker colors. I actually tried a sample of Kilim Beige, but it turned a weird pinkish on my walls.

Did anyone notice the missing vent cover from behind the sink? I took it off to paint, and discovered that there was a large hole cut out of the drywall. No, not a functioning vent, just a big whack of drywall cut out, shoved back in, and hidden with the vent cover. The PO's were fond of that fix, because that's the third one I've found. I'm getting pretty good at drywall patching ;)

I can also be a bit of a fabric junkie, so I like the idea of changing colors and styles out with my latest find, and since it just needs hand towels, it's very affordable to be fickle in this room!

Last on the list is replacing the toilet. That's actually a shorter than standard old toilet, so I'm hoping after the new year to replace it.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Very nice!

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

that is lovely! the paint and accessories made such a big difference. great choices!

• springroz
    11 years ago

Really pretty!! I like your Spring accessories a lot, too!

Do those vents cover plumbing? Cause in my house (before we moved in, OF COURSE) they would have been stash holes. We found needles, etc., under loosened toekicks in the kitchen, and in the HVAC vents.

Nancy

• chardie
    11 years ago

Very nice! Love that blue background Waverley fabric.

• ghostlyvision
    11 years ago

What a pretty update!

• lala girl
    11 years ago

That looks so great! Crisp and pretty - what an amazing transformation.