Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zipdee

Kitchen progress over the weekend ..

zipdee
15 years ago

I'm so excited the kitchen is starting to come together :)

You'll have to imagine the beadboard painted, I have to paint that this week. Also imagine the rest of the window trim on .. under the windows and the 'yucky' tile area will be covered with window trim. Of course the cabs aren't painted yet either .. hopefully soon though!

The hood also has adhesive still on the front lip, I need to buy something to get it off tomorrow .. I'm afraid to touch it with something wrong.

You can see the hood and stove together now though, this is just a dry run with the stove to see how it will look, it needs to come out to put the counter in.

Any more thoughts on a duct cover, now that you see stuff starting to come together ?

Comments (46)

• Shannon01
    15 years ago

I actually think the silver duct will add to the stove unless it is that wrinkled tube stuff. It is a nice shiny pc of stainless it could look neat.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

zipdee, I can see why you're sooo excited. It's really looking good. What color are you going to do the cabinets. I love the stove!!! I see nothing wrong with the duct, just leave it alone. It will add to the charm of the kitchen. Keep the pics coming lol.

• bac717
    15 years ago

I think I have the twin to your stove sitting in my parent's basement. Is it a Tappan? If you don't mind, I'm curious. How did you acquire your stove?

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

OK. I know this is not what you are asking, so its OK to tell me off or ignore me, but I think that hood is way too big for the space. It is about ten inches wider than the stove.

You haven't installed it yet, just taken it out of the box and set it in place to view. Can you sort of 'live with it' for a while to see how you like it in the space.

The stove is so beautiful and the kitchen looks like it is going to be so nice. You have great talent from what I've seen in your other rooms. This hood is something that is going to be permanently installed and it may not suit the space.

OK. Shoot me.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for the comment guys! :)

Bac, the stove is a Tappan Deluxe. I bought it from a gentleman that restores and repairs vintage stoves about 2 years ago.

Dilly Dally, *LOL* .. I'm not going to tell you off, everyone has their own opinions and that's okay. Ideally a hood should have at least a 3 inch over hang on each side for venting capture area. The stove is 40" wide .. the hood is 48" .. so there is a 4" over hang on each side which is appropriate.

• midwestmom
    15 years ago

sorry i have to agree with dillydally. the hood overwhelms the stove. that stove is so cool!

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your opinions guys, but the hood is going to stay. I like it and so does my husband. I'd imagine a lot of people agree with you and that's why there are so few post, but that's okay .. difference of opinions is allowed. *LOL* ;)

Here's a 'blip' on hood size :

Hood size: If possible, the hood should extend three inches to each side of the range; a 36" range should get a 42" hood. This overhang allows for better capture of the smoke, which spreads as it rises. Typical mounting height for a hood is 30" above the cooktop; if you mount the hood higher, you should definitely use an oversized hood. Island hoods are generally specified with an overhang, because the airflow patterns around the island tend to blow the smoke around where it can miss the hood.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/appl/2003055538004617.html

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

Zip, I LOVE the hood and stove together! I can totally "see" the finished result; sort of a chunky-vintage-retro-modern-cottage-farmhouse look. I think the size and finish of the hood add the element of scale that is needed for your kitchen to keep it from being too predictable. I think when it's all finished and put together, everything will look just perfect. Right now, your eye is obviously drawn to *just* the hood, but when it's all done, it'll be smashing, as the other finished elements will not cause the hood to be the only thing you see.

FWIW, people told me my arched hood cover was WAY too big for my kitchen, and that it dwarfed my stove. When it was being built, it did look crazy-out of proportion, but I knew the look I was after, and once it was finished, it was just as I'd hoped. Truth be told, my arched hood cover *does* dwarf my stove, but I love the final result, as I'm sure you will. It's look FABULOUS, and I can't wait to see it done!

{{!gwi}}

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I think it's just lovely and you are correct that it is best ot have the hood extend beyond the range by about 3" per side so yours looks about right. This is one of those situations of function over form, though I don't think the form looks bad either. As for getting the gunk off the hood, my contractor recommended a product called Goof-Off to remove all the adhesive residue which you can get at any hardware store. It works great. Try on an inconspicuous area first and clean it afterwards with a stainless steel cleaner.

• laurmela
    15 years ago

Zipdee,

I totally love your stove and hood as well. I have always wanted a vintage stove, but alas when we did our remodel 3 years ago it was not to be. Maybe in my next house!

I can't wait to see the finished product, looks awesome.

Toodles,

Laura

• citytransplant(zone5)
    15 years ago

Love that stove!!! It is just like the first one I had when married 50 years ago. Does it have the coverd bread keeper in the left door? It sure brings back me memories.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I have been waiting patiently for pics! That's what I get for not checking in last night. I think the stove and hood are perfect together! I love your house and think your kitchen will just cozy right into it!

• User
    15 years ago

I love the look! The hood may look really big now, but I think as the entire kitchen comes together, it will prove to be the perfect fit. Your stove is awesome ... reminds me of mine! ;-) How old is yours? I believe mine is from the very early 50s, and I love it - although it's certainly not as efficient as its modern counterparts. (What should take 30 minutes in the oven often takes 45 - or longer!)

• caroline94535
    15 years ago

It's perfect! I too, am getting a "properly sized hood" that will project wider than my stove by at least three inches on each side, possibly four since yours looks so great. I'll have a gas stove and want good ventilation.

I think you're kichen is a smashing success!

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

No ideas on the cover for the hood, but try just stainless steel cleaner before trying Goof Off.

Reno_fan - I love your hood cover/valance and also your backsplash. Are the tiles actually "cushioned" or is it just the small black dots that make ti look that way? I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my backsplash, since my stove has controls on the back. All the really nice kitchens I see have cooktops or drop-in ranges.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for taking a look at the picture and the kind comments!

Yayagal .. I'm sorry I forgot to answer your question. The cabinets will be white.

Reno .. I think your mantle style hood vent is fantastic and it looks wonderful with your stove, very pretty backsplash too!

Valinsv ... thanks for the suggestion of goo gone. I've used that before to remove stray paint speckles from the hardwood floors when things got sloppy.

Citytransplant .. How cool you had a stove like this once .. I'm totally in love with this one. :) I knew it was 'mine' right when I saw it. There are metal three drawers on the left side, the bottom is the largest and says crisp chest. On the right is the control for the oven, a place to hold the salt & pepper shakers and a towel rack. You open each side by pushing up that little knob you see under the burner controls. The burner knobs are backed with red glass, they light up when the burner is in use. Plus the tops lights up when the oven is in use .. there are just so many neat little things I love about this stove. *LOL*

Laura and CooperBailey .. thanks so much for the vote of confidence .. I'm super excited to have the kitchen coming together now!

Caroline .. good luck with your kitchen reno! I'd love to see pics as you are working on it!

AuntJen .. Do you have any pics of your stove, I'd love, love to see it! I was told from the man we bought it from our stove is from 1948. After we bought the stove, I dug around a little and it looks like this model was built from the late 40's through the early 50's. This was their top of the line for this model, just because it has all the 'gadgets' on it, the step downs were just a little more plain jane. The top burners on this really put out the heat and it does well on simmer too. I've cooked in older ovens before, so I know they can be really tempermental as far as time/temp/hot spots, plus they are smaller than what's considered the norm now too. Since we have a family of five and I bake a lot we decided to put in double stack ovens too. So I'll have the option of useing the gas oven in the stove or the electric wall ovens, I think it will be the best of both worlds. :)

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Whoops, I meant to say Goof Off .. I've used both before and they both seem to do a great job!

• bac717
    15 years ago

zipdee -- I'm going to have to take a closer look at the stove in my parent's basement to see if it has any of the features yours has. I think we may be trying to sell it, so I'd love to find someone like the guy you found who restores and repairs vintage stoves. I actually remember using my parent's stove when it was in the kitchen. I was always so scared to light the oven with a match. You don't have to do that with yours, do you?

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is going to be beautiful when it's finished. That stove is fabulous!! Keep the photo's coming.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bac, I hope you can find a buyer for your stove. Our stove has had a saftey put on, so it can't 'woosh' when lighting the oven at all. It also has a standing pilot, the saftey will cut the gas if the pilot goes out.

Brutuses, thanks so much :)

Today we are working on putting in the 'baby bathtub'. *LOL* I bought an original butlers sink, it was made in England by Twyford. There is an antique shop in Boone, NC that imports and sells them VERY reasonably. It's 25" deep X 36", love it .. it's huge!

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

OOOOOOOH Zip, that's an amazing sink! What is the recessed area on the left side?

Can you guys please hurry this renovation along??? I'm dying to see the final result! LOL!!

• lorriekay
    15 years ago

love it.. Love it ... LOVE it!!

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lorriekay, thanks! :)

Reno,I'm dying to have the kitchen done! :) I've had some of this stuff in storage for years waiting to be installed, I'm so happy to see the things out of their packages. My DH is laughing at me as I'm unpacking stuff and oohing and ahhing over it. ;)

That recessed area is the sink's overflow. It's built right into the sink, if water rises that high it overflows into that little channel, which bring the water down to the drain.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Oh, that sink is just lovely! I can't wait to see what type of fixtures you are going to use with it. Where will the fixtures go since it's so deep? There does not look any room behind so are you going to offset them? I'm also very puzzled when you say you are going to paint your cabinets. They look finished already.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Valinsv, there is just enough room back there for the faucet. The countertop is going to run all the way back onto that little wall, so it provides enough room. We are going to have notch out a little of the 2'x4' in back of the sink to make it work, but that's fine. The cabs were another bargain find, but I really want white cabs, so we are going to paint them with cabinet coat paint.

The faucet we are going to use is the Kohler Antique, sprayer and soap dispenser :

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

Zip, I'm so jealous of that sink! We too have a "baby bathtub" sink (LOL!) and I love having a huge single sink. But we don't have an overflow thing like yours, and our drain is right in the middle, which is a pain in the neck. Ours was a bargain too, so I don't dislike it, but I do wish it had your features.

• donnawb
    15 years ago

Nice, think the hood looks so big is because that is what you notice first but once it gets done it will look fabulous. Wow, your sink looks like you can bath a small adult never mind a baby. LOL

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Yes, I see the space now behind. It's not your usual apron sink install though is it? I thought they cut the cabinet front out for the bumpout and yours looks like it is sitting on top. Your cabinets look beautiful so far and are sure to look even better once they are painted.

• greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

Drooling over that sink!

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

What are you guys doing for countertops?

• walkin_yesindeed
    15 years ago

wow. wow, wow! looks great! keep us posted!

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

DD50, Greenthumbfish and Walkin, thanks for sharing in my excitement! :)

Valinsv, we are doing the install a bit differently then you normally see with a farm sink. There are small gaps on each side of the sink, you can't really see them in the picture. There will be a very small stile on each side. We tried to keep them small though since the cabinets are frameless.

Reno .. sadly our counters ended up getting screwed up, so we are going to put in temp. counters until after the holidays. By then hopefully I can figure out where to get the soapstone I want.

See what happened is we found a local dealer that said they would sell the soapstone to us because my DH is a contractor. Well we went to put in the order and they now will only sell to stone fabricators. I've scrambled around looking for another close source, because I want to pick out my own slab, but so far I haven't found one.

That left us with the choice to put the kitchen off longer or put in a temp. countertop so I can use the kitchen for the holidays.

Soooooooo .. What I decided to do was 'embrace' the kitchens quirkyness, also the vintage flavor and make the counters look like the old linoleum counters. I went and bought $100 worth of Basalt Slate formica and we'll use a very simple metal edge. Around the sink because of the 'wet' issue, we are using a corian like substrate under the formica and making our own 'sink seal' system. It's all an experiment, but since it's temp. I figure I'd have fun with it. :)

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lost you guys on the countertop, huh? ;)

We got the counter in and oh my goodness was it a PITA to do! Never in my wildest dreams would I have figured this would be such a pain. Part of the problem is I have a VERY critical eye, seriously I can look at something and tell you it's a 1/16 of an inch off without even pulling out a tape measure .. also I'm a perfectionist .. I about drove my DH about mad, because with this stuff there is no perfect. I can tell you where every flaw is .. even though no one else would probably be able to pick them out.

I think I'll like it better when the cabinets are painted white. This wasn't the trim I had in mind either, but it's the only thing I could find enough of on short notice. Like I said I'm am picky .. it will be fine for a temp counter top.

This weekend double stack ovens go in and stove finally gets hooked up to the gas .. YAY! The following weekend cabinets will be painted white.

Ignore the bottom, I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to put legs on the toe kick for the sink. If I did they would be one piece that spanned the cabinet, that's just a quick mock up I did with the jig saw :

Basalt Slate Matte, picked it because it kind of reminds me of old sheet lino :

• User
    15 years ago

Zipdee, it's looking wonderful! I can't wait to see the finished room!

Here's a pic of my stove. I think you're a wise woman to have incorporated double stack ovens into your design. You've now got the best of both world! :-)

{{!gwi}}

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Aunt Jen, your stove is adorable! Is the left side a warming cabinet? Thanks so much for posting a picture for me. I love the vivid colors in your kitchen too!

• User
    15 years ago

Thanks, Zip! The left side is just storage. Well, I say "just", but I'm really glad it's there, as that's where we keep the big pots and pot lids. Storage in this kitchen is minimal, to say the least! As temperamental (and undoubtedly un-energy efficient) as this thing is, if it ever dies I'm going to be really sad. Oh yeah, it's also a bit of a pain to clean as it seems to have so many little nooks and crannies where food bits lodge, but when it's sparkling clean, I just think it's the cutest.
    :-)

• jlc712
    15 years ago

I really like your kitchen! I think you are doing a great job putting it together. And I am very impressed that you are doing so much on your own.
    Call me crazy... but I really like your countertops! I think they have a nice vintage feel. I am honestly a little burned out on granite, and it's nice to see something different.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Aunt Jen, I've noticed a lot of vintage stoves have all sorts of storage spaces so they could function well as stand alone pieces, very neat!

Jlc712, thanks for the kind comments :) I like the temp. counters too, I think the totally fit in with the 'vibe' of the kitchen. The metal edging picks up the other metal accents in the kitchen also. It will be interesting to see how they hold up with the metal edge and with how we sealed the sink and faucet.

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

Zipdee, that counter looks really nice. You say it is only temp but to my eye in the photo it looks very good.
    The whole kitchen has some great ideas. Congrats. to you and hubby.

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

ACK! How did I miss your answer? I was *so* hoping you'd say you were doing some sort of black or slate gray countertop! Soapstone is awesome, but seriously? I LOVE what you guys did! The metal edging is so classic. I love how the modern and the retro are blending.

I can't wait to see the paint!

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Wow, the temp counters look great. Soapstone will look stunning and now you have all the time to search for just the right pieces as I do think the veining really makes the look. I can't believe you are doing this all yourselves and also love the mockup of the furniture foot you did with the jigsaw. I'm really enjoying watching how you are putting this together.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much Lyban, Reno and Valinsv for checking out the new pics and kind comments.

Like Reno said above the look we are after is kind of a cross between vintage, cottage, retro, farmhouse .. so I thought the black counters against the white cabinets is just so classic.

My DH is a Contractor/Builder, we own a small residential construction company, so that allows up to do so much of DIY. It's also easier since we have all the tools needed to complete the work we are doing.

• budge1
    15 years ago

Wow, wow, wow!!!! I love it zipdee.

I don't think you are going to want to change that countertop - it's perfect. I can just picture the the cabs painted (but I'm really glad I'm not the one doing it). Your hood is going to look even better once those cabs are painted white. i think the comments about it looking too big didn't take into account that the white cabs will make the stove area look bigger.

Know several horses that wish they had a trough as big as your sink ;-)

I also love the bench seats and table. Are they working well in a practical sense?

Pretty sure I remember you saying you're doing white subways but just had to show you these handmade subs in the most luscious colours.

Keep those pics coming.

Here is a link that might be useful: pommegranite anyone?

• mldao
    15 years ago

I can't wait to see your kitchen once your cabinets are painted. I love your stove and sink. I wanted to put a huge single bowl sink but DH prefered the double bowl so I relented. I'll have to satisfy myself by drooling and coveting your sink. I'm sorry about your soapstone, what a disappointment. Your temporary counters look great and now you'll have more time to find the perfect soapstone. My soapstone counters are getting installed tomorrow and I'm beyond excited to finally have a working kitchen again. Please continue posting pictures of your progress, it's great to see how far you've come along each week.

• bananafana
    15 years ago

Wow. I love the countertops, the stove, the hood, and everything! It's so fun to see it continue to get better and better. I can hardly wait to see what's next! What a great job.

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Budge .. how pretty are those tiles! What a wonderful assortment of colors. The benches are actually working out great. They are very comfortable to sit in, clean up like a dream and the kids seem to gravitate to them to play cards, board games or hang out on the computer. You can see my youngest in the background there playing on-line. It's hard to tell in the picture because I have the one pushed away from the short wall, but when it's pushed back it's flush with the countertop and tucks right in like a dream. I think what I've decided to do is place both benches against the short wall, find one whopping long table and put chairs against the opposite side of the table. When we have a lot of kids over we could still use more seating. That won't be until after I get the kitchen totally wrapped up though, right now this temp. arraignment is fine.

Mldao .. ooooooooo .. please share pics when you get your soapstone installed. I'd love to see it! I'm so happy for you that your new kitchen will be up and running soon!

Bananafana, thanks so much for the kind comments! Hopefully after the weekend we'll be up and running, with just the cabs left to be painted .. I can hardly wait!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm