Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artydecor

Placeholders

artydecor
11 years ago

Maybe two months ago, I was looking for a reasonably priced storage ottoman for my living room. I looked for weeks, wanted it now, but couldn't find what I wanted in the right fabric, color, shape, or price range. Settled for an OK non-storage, OK color version, that was also OK price wise, and it has been OK. Not a stunning piece, but it fits in with the room and is comfortable.

Now it is too late to return the OK ottoman, I have found one that would really make the room sing. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend, plus I would have to add in the cost of the placeholder.

Do you stop looking after finding a placeholder, have a formula for getting your value before looking for something better, forget about it and live with your placeholder, or dive right in and go for what you wanted in the first place?

Comments (7)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I keep looking no matter what. I have never been sorry for buying something that made my heart sing and I am usually willing to sell, reuse elsewhere, donate, or put an item on freecycle if I do find the perfect replacement. We really don't have room for more stuff now, but that does not mean I give up looking. It is fun and who knows what treasure I might find... ;)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I would have to buy the "real" one, but I never buy placeholders, because if it's not the one, I do without.

• amj0517
    11 years ago

I have purchased "placeholders" in the past. Once I find the real thing then the placeholder goes to the basement. Now I have a basement that is FULL of stuff that I like (but never loved). In the past year or so I've made the decision not to purchase anything unless it is exactly what I want, regardless of a great price. This goes for everything; decorating, clothes, kids toys, etc. I'd rather do without than add to the basement collection.

• lindac
    11 years ago

I have bought all sorts of place holders.....some are still holding the place....and I am learning to love them...
    I make it a rule never to spend much on a place holder...
    Better a cardboard box than an "almost" of what you really want.
    Sometimes you can just do without....but certain things you have to have something to fill the spot.....so my philosophy is it's better to eat from a card table than to spend $200 on a table you don't really like and that is just holding space until the real one shows up.

• artydecor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I build my rooms around things I love - but in this case, the need was urgent, and I didn't have a clear idea of what I wanted. Doing without an ottoman for my new reading chair would have led to horrible pain and eventual back surgery.
    For me, money spent counts, but maybe I should ignore money spent and buy the new one that really looks good with the room.
    I have to say, every time I have ever given up and bought an "approximate", the perfect thing has a shown up a few weeks later. It's hard to decide what to do.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

My likes are rather fickle and sometimes what I think I must have changes, so, as long as I like something reasonably well, (I won't buy it if it's not near perfect), then it's ok.
    I could constantly upgrade, but at some point I have to decide what I have is fine. Sticking with a particular style over the years does help.
    It does annoy me however, when people won't make a decision within their budget. I.e. deciding nothing less than a leather Chesterfield sofa will do, but as they can't afford the real deal, they scan Cl's for years, while sitting on something horrible and not pulling together a finished look. And perfection may never arrive at their price point.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

I would rather do without than settle for something that is just okay....

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz