Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhbaskets_gw

Cordless Christmas candles

nhbaskets
9 years ago

DH pulled out our cordless candles today only to find that they do not fit in the windows of our new home. We have the type that clip under the window. So, now I'm in search of cordless candles that just sit on the window sill. The ones we have are LED and honestly, I haven't been pleased with them. Too fake looking for me.

I've been searching the Internet tonight and have not found anything I've either liked and/or has a decent review. Any suggestions?

Comments (20)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I don't know if these will fit on your window sill or not, but I like the flickering flame.

Here is a link that might be useful: Luminara

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

You can purchase holders that suction cup to the widows. Any candle light will work with them. I have them in all my windows. I prefer electric candles. Batteries and COLD do not mix.

• ttodd
    9 years ago

arcy,
    I've tried the suction cup holder on my cordless candles but they fell off w/in minutes. Do you have any tips or suggestions? Are my windows too cold? Is that even a possibility?

I have lots of windows and had tried once to the tune of a small fortune but I'd be willing to try again. I miss my window candles. :(

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I am surprised. I am in MN and my windows are COLD..the suction cups only last a few seasons but they always hold for me, and they sell replacement cups. I got mine at the local big box discount store--so they are nothing expensive. Years ago when I was lamenting not having sills for candles my SIL taught me how to run a red ribbon around the candle, a bow even then run the knotted tails tucked into the open window and close the window down and the ribbon holds the candles!! It worked well and looked very nice, but the suction cups were faster for me. The ribbon look is much fancier and prettier on the inside.

• luluclau
    9 years ago

Have you checked on eBay? I purchased a lot of rare christmas decorations there in recent years.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

qvc?

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Try Sylvania brand, sold in packs of 4. I use them here at our Cape house. We have 13 windows visible from the street and the house just glows, even when we aren't here. They use AA batteries. Once turned on they stay lit for 8 hours. The cycle repeats the next day. I bought them at CVS, but have seen them at Stop and Shop also.

• ttodd
    9 years ago

arcy,

Thanks for your feedback! Maybe I'll try again. I was just so frustrated last time w/ all of my battery operated ones and the suction cups not holding that I finally took all of them to my mom's booth and sold them.
    When I was single I had invested the $$$ in some really nice primitive ones that had the metal clip to put under the window but when I married and moved I simply could not afford the cost to put one of those at every window in the house. Still something on my forever wish list though!

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. Think I'll check out the ones bonnieann suggested. I've invested so much in lights in the past. I think a low cost alternative is in line now.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I really want to do this too. Thanks for asking nhbaskets

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I have plugins that plug into X10 controllers. A centralized timer turns them all on, so that the candles are on as we arrive home, and no batteries to replace. I do use batteries in outside lights near the road that are too far for cords.

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bonnieann, I looked online at the Sylvania candles and they appear to be LED. Are yours? My experience with LED candles from Brookstone has not been great.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Yes, they are "warm" LED and they flicker a bit. I just saw them at Stop and Shop for 4/$10. They are perfect for our situation here. At home I use brass single candle plug-ins with white lights. But we are there to turn them on/off nightly. I'll try to find a pic from last year to show you. They are packed away in the attic and won't go out until after Thanksgiving.

• chucksmom
    9 years ago

I'm too thrifty (spell that CHEAP) to just go buy something else.
    Post pics of the candles you have and the window ledge. I'd bet someone on this board will know of a way to make them work.

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jaysmom, I appreciate your thriftiness, but honestly, I don't really like the looks of my current candles...the bulbs that is. I've already got them listed for sale online.

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've just ordered cordless LED candles from Brookstone. Had found these on another site and was ready to order when DH looked on Brookstone and found them on sale. Plus I found a coupon online and got another $15 off. They also have free shipping right now, but the $15 coupon was worth more. Keeping my fingers crossed that these will look good. I've already sold my old candles.

Thanks for everyone's input. Happy Holiday's!

Here is a link that might be useful: Candles

• chucksmom
    9 years ago

Since you didn't really like them, I would have done the same thing! Glad they're gone (sold!) and hoping the new ones work out!

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Question for you. The front of my house has found windows down and then four up then to the right there is the garage. the side of the garage faces the front and it has two windows. would you put them in the garage too? And two in that middle room?

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would put them in whatever windows face the street.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

My house also has garage windows that face the street. We do put candles in those windows also.

All our candles have wires, they have to be over 30 years old. We have them on timers, synchronized to come on and go off at the same time. 3 windows in the living room, 2 windows in a bedroom, and then the 2 garage windows.

ML