Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellendi_gw

Color gurus..Edgecomb gray

ellendi
9 years ago

I'm helping my DD with her new co op. It's a tiny studio with lots of natural light. I am trying to get a feel for edgecomb gray. All the photos I view, this color seems more tan than gray. (I love beiges and tans) but am wondering if their is indeed a gray undertone?
Her kitchen will probably be white, gray counter and gray backsplash.
Thanks!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

I know I'm probably sounding like a broken record by now, but .... :)

but am wondering if there is indeed a gray undertone?

1. You see a color's undertone only when the medium, like paint, is manipulated i.e. spread thinly, at different rates or thicknesses as is often done in decorative finishes. Regular architectural coatings are applied at one, uniform thickness, as are finishes for countertops, flooring, etc. Google overtone and hue bias if you want more info on correct color attributes.

All the photos I view, this color seems more tan than gray.

2. You can't look at color chips online. Because color chips online are emitted color to your eyeballs. Color chips in real life are reflected. It's two completely different color spaces. The online or emitted color space is called "additive" and it's device dependent. Which means that colors are going to look different on your monitor than they look on mine. Looking at colors online is futile.

So, I nixed the undertone schtick and attempting to evaluate colors online.

What we can do instead is take a look at Edgecomb Gray's color notation. Which, unfortunately, isn't available to the public, but I happen to have it so we can talk about it. And we'll take a look at Revere Pewter just for comparison.

Edgecomb Gray: Hue - 1.90 Yellow / Value - 8.24 / Chroma 1.06
    Revere Pewter: Hue - 2.76 Yellow / Value - 7.77 / Chroma 0.98

Both colors belong to the Yellow Hue Family. Edgecomb's chroma is more than 1 which means it's unlikely to show any edge of greeness in most lights. It should read as a toasty warm "chromatic gray" in most light.

Revere Pewter is also from the Yellow Hue Family and it has a chroma less than one which means it has the potential to show an edge of greeness. Doesn't mean it will - just means it could. The quality of inherent light will determine which way it goes.

The colors we call "gray" come from every hue family. To ensure all the grays work together in the space, you should consider making sure they are all from the same hue family, like yellow.

• User
    9 years ago

Definitely not a color guru, but I'm midway through repainting my kitchen & breakfast room in Edgecomb Grey. The color consultant at a BM dealer recommended it - I was looking for a warm off-white to work with my greige cabinets, greyish quartz counters & Carrera backsplash, White Dove trim. When the kitchen was being done, I had to pick a paint color quickly and guessed badly - had them do it in Navajo White. It wasn't terrible but the yellowish tones against the greyish-taupe bugged me. I wasn't totally sold on Edgecomb Grey from samples, but I had a free day and just went with it. I like it so much I'm going to repaint the adjoining stairway and upstairs hall. Most of the rest of my first floor is a slightly darker greige (Hot Spring Stones) and I'm stopping myself from contemplating repainting there as well.

On its own, the Edgecomb doesn't look "grey" to me - but in the unfinished spots where you can still see the true creamy color of the Navajo White, it is a huge contrast and definitely much more grey. I was afraid it would be too dark but it doesn't. Overall it seems like a perfect very light greige.

• ellendi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks you. And thanks Funcolors for your expertise.

I am wavering between Edgecomb and Manchester Tan. (More toward Edgecomb)
    I'm going to see if I can get samples.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Funny enough, I have Revere Pewter in my master bedroom and bath at home, and I have Edgecomb Gray in the master at our beach cottage. I like them both equally, but they are very different. To my eye, and in my (very different) rooms, RP is gray and EG is beige...Or greige...But not "gray."

Here's a pic of EG in my room. Ceiling is Healing Aloe.

This post was edited by sueb20 on Tue, Nov 4, 14 at 8:26

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Also, going back and forth between Edgecomb Gray and Manchester Tan --- but my adjoining rooms are Yarmouth Blue and a fairly bright yellow (Yellow Mellow?).
    I probably have to bite the bullet and get rid of the yellow, which I love BTW.

Come to think of it, EG may work.

• ellendi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the pictures Sue and Nosocc.
    Sue, that is exactly how I was hoping Edgecomb would look in a room with lots of light.
    Edgecomb it is!

This post was edited by ellendi on Tue, Nov 4, 14 at 12:03

• decordummy_gw
    9 years ago

Funcolors, thank you for the explanation (I didn't know it was yellow, I am thinking about painting an adjacent room yellow, so I hope that works out). Thank you also for posting the parent & child chart. That really helped to understand it.

I like RP best with lots of white trim.

Ellendi good luck with the kitchen (if possible please post pics of the after).

This post was edited by decordummy on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 9:23

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I have edgecomb in a North facing room and for me it is definitely beige or greige, much less gray than I thought it would be. I like it, I call it my bunny color, my husband is less of a fan. Looks good with all our vtg. walnut furniture though and maple bed.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

I am thinking about painting an adjacent room yellow, so I hope that works out

It should work out just fine. I would look for yellows that are squarely in the yellow hue family or yellows that are snuggled up over a little on the color wheel towards orange - in other words a yellow with orange overtones because of where Revere Pewter falls within the yellow hue family.

Colors of yellow that are too near the Green-Yellow hue family may very well work with RP in your space. But technically they are less likely to harmonize nicely with RP and you should test and sample carefully in the case of yellows from the Green-Yellow hue family.

Along time ago there was a popular thread here called "Taupe Hates Yellow". That train of thought comes from the fact that color combinations of yellow plus "neutrals" like greige, beige, taupes, tans (whatever arbitrary color word you want to use) are typically difficult to craft.

If you want to combine yellow and one of those greige-y type "neutrals", you just have to stay within the same hue family, section of the color wheel.

Here's the notations again and a color wheel so you can see what I mean.

Edgecomb Gray: Hue - 1.90 Yellow / Value - 8.24 / Chroma 1.06
    Revere Pewter: Hue - 2.76 Yellow / Value - 7.77 / Chroma 0.98

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

Here's a visual that depicts what overtones are. This is a different color notation/order system, but the concept of overtone is the same in all color systems.