Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just_imagine

Shower remodel question

just_imagine
10 years ago

We're remodeling the shower in our master bath and are undecided what style glass to use in the new door - clear glass, obscure glass, or some other style. The existing shower has 2 sliding doors with obscure glass which is low maintenance - just wipe it down occasionally. The new single door could be clear glass, which we like the looks of, but are thinking will be difficult to maintain to keep it clear of streaks and spots. I'm all for 'low maintenance' at this stage in my life. Your thoughts, please, on clear glass vs non-clear glass showers would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (7)

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

i'll go a step further than you asked so feel free to disregard! :)

we're building now, and our builder called us hicks because we aren't putting glass in our master shower at all! we've got clear glass in the house we're renting during the construction and it's miserable to keep clean, and even when clean it doesn't LOOK clean.

if you're set on glass, and you're even asking the question about low maintenance, i'd go for the obscure glass. i'm sure there are others who feel it's simple to spray it down and squeegee it everyday, but to me that's a drag. clear glass does look prettier when it's new and clean.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

We have clear glass and our MB was our first time working with a kitchen/bath designer so I left a lot of things to her and didn't get involved in the little details. I think I've read on this forum there is a coating you can have put on the glass which helps it to stay cleaner. I think we must have it because all I do is a quick 10 second squeegee after each shower and no water marks. The glass place said to use RainX cleaner on it...sold at automotive stores.

• countryatheart
    10 years ago

OMG-as I smack myself in the the forehead. I had never heard about Rain X on the shower door. Love what it does on my car windshield, especially after a snow or ice storm. After I clean the bathroom tomorrow I am giving it a try. I think I must be living under a rock. Thanks for the tip joanie!

• salem1772
    10 years ago

I suggest, no, I urge, you to visit the Bathroom forum which has possibly the most helpful group of people I've ever encountered. There's no bathroom question or problem that can't be addressed over there. Good luck with your project. You'll be happy with the end result though it is the pits getting there!!

• just_imagine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your posts, everyone. Very helpful. I'll visit the Bathroom forum this weekend for their input. Joanie, Rain X would seem to be the obvious answer. Go with clear glass and keep a spray bottle of Rain X nearby!

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

When I made the choice for non-clear glass, it wasn't so much about maintenance, as it was about "stuff" in the shower. I had a niche built to hold all that stuff, the stuff is not lovely, there are not matching containers lined up in an orderly manner, I didn't want a tote basket for every trip to the shower, etc. I did not want to see stuff through a glass shower door.

The designer said (somewhat snidely) "why put all that beautiful tile in the shower if it can't be seen"? Well, when I'm in the shower, I see it! It's a MB bath and no one but me uses it.

• msrose
    10 years ago

I've never heard about Rain X either, but definitely going to give it a try. I'm all about low maintenance also, but using the squeegee every day really isn't that bad. You both have to be willing to do it though. I used to take my shower first and squeegee the shower. My ex-husband would take his second and refused to squeegee. I don't see anything wrong with using a different glass if you want to avoid the squeegee.

Anyone actually tried Rain X and know which one to use?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rain x

This post was edited by msrose on Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 10:30