Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blushingrose22

choosing a blue that looks nice with antique white furniture

BlushingRose22
10 years ago

Hello! Im having a very hard time choosing a blue that I love. Our hallway is very small so once you come up the stairs you can see all three rooms. We painted the guest room elephant skin from Behr (which i LOVE!) I go into the guest room and admire the color so much. The picture is attached. I want to paint the master room a blue but I want to love it the same way I love the guest room. I was looking at french toile but I'm afraid that it will look gray like the room next door. Now I am salting to like wedge wood gray. Has anyone used that color? Is it really gray or blue? I don't want a blue that is too blue and definitely don't want a light blue because then our master will look like a nursery. PLEASE HELP!

Comments (28)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love the color of your guest room too. Would you consider using it in the master as well?

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

I have wedgewood gray in our bedroom and LOVE it (I also love the color you posted above!). I would call it more blue than gray, it is very soothing and spa-like to me. I am extremely happy with it.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Wythe blue is my favorite. Benjamin Moore.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I love the elephant skin can you tell me how this color reads in terms of any undertones? Is it a darker or medium color? Looks like exactly what I have been searching for!

• sis2two
    10 years ago

Palladian Blue by BM is a beautiful blue and would look great with the antique white furniture. You may want to google pictures of it.

• BlushingRose22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

holly-kay- I love it so much but since the bedrooms are next to each other I don't want to use the same color. Had I known I was going to love it this much I definitely would've chosen it for my master.

tinan- thank you so much. Do you have pics?

aktillery- You will love it. The color is more on the medium side. When I am in that room I feel so relaxed. I am not sure what undertone it has but at first when painting it I was scared it would look green but it turned out perfect. I feel that it looks good with any accent color.

sis2two- I looked into Palladium blue (beautiful color) but I wanted something a bit darker. Choosing a color is so difficult. My husband thinks Im going crazy lol

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Rose, join the club I have gone around the bend some time ago. This redecorating thing gets under your skin. I do believe choosing the perfect paint color is the most difficult part of decorating.

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

How about SW Needlepoint Navy. We are doing that for one accent wall in our MBR (other walls will be a lighter blue colour SW Krypton). Needlepoint is a rich blue (not pale at all).

Best of luck.

Carol

• karen.iz
    10 years ago

Wythe Blue is a darker shade of Palladium Blue. I have it in my LR and DR with an off white sofa and lots of white trim. I love it.

I have Wedgwood Blue in my guest room; it also looks nice with lots of white.

• geokid
    10 years ago

I second Wedgewood Gray. We have it in my son's room and it's a beautiful shade of blue. Our guest room is painted BM Eternity. It looks much grayer on the swatch but is blue on the walls. Guests comment that it's a very soothing color.

Not my room but this is a good representation.

• BlushingRose22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello! Thank you for all your help. I have the little strip of the wedge wood gray but it is too small to really see the color. Tomorrow I am going to buy the sample of the wedge wood gray and paint to make sure I love it the way I am loving it online. Karen.is- Palladian blue was my first option but when I saw it in person it was like a green and I would like something with more blue in it.
    I am so happy I found this site. You all are great help and I feel like I am that much closer to finally choosing a color and finally painting :-)

• BlushingRose22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Geokid- is that the wedge wood gray or the Eternity? I can tell that being in that room would make me feel relaxed and stressed free.

• BlushingRose22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BTW the lighting in the master bedroom is making all of the colors look gray....

• geokid
    10 years ago

Blushing, that pic is Eternity.

• jackieblue
    10 years ago

If you love that color, maybe try a different saturation (probably not the right word, intensity maybe) of the same color. It would be different, but still have the color you love. Have a little more or a little less of the color added to the base paint.

• BlushingRose22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you geokid. jackieblue- you mean when i order the paint ask them to add a little more color? That's probably why I was reading a blog and they were talking about a color and that it was at 50%. I had no idea what they were talking about.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

What's wrong with having the same color in two rooms? When you're in one, you're there. What does it matter if the room next door is the same color? Presumably the light differs in each room and so does the decor?

You obviously love the Elephant Skin, and I don't blame you. Why not treat yourself to more of a good thing?

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Wedgewood blue would be beautiful :)
    {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I have palladian blue in my exercise room and it is very green...to me, not blue at all.

• BlushingRose22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

linelle I know what you mean but as soon as you walk up the steps you see both room side by side. I like seeing different colors. I actually bought the wedge wood gray sample. i will be getting a white poster board to paint that and see how it looks.
    lavender_lass :-) Very pretty!

AnnieDeighnaugh- love the combination!!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I sampled the colors that are mentioned, also Woodlawn Blue, and ended up with Yarmouth Blue.

• BlushingRose22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Noscoccermom- yarmouth blue is beautiful!

• teacats
    10 years ago

Deep rich blue-gray ....Nocturnal Gray 2135-30 by BM ....

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Nocturnal Gray

• BlushingRose22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! thats bold.

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

In my last house I used Eddie Bauer bungalow blue with antique white couches, with red and black accents in my foyer, I loved it :). Link to before and after album below

Here is a link that might be useful: Foyer\hallway

• judiegal6
    10 years ago

Another vote for Yarmouth Blue, I have it in MB and Guest room.

• BlushingRose22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

boopadaboo- I love the way you used those colors. Looks very classy!

judiegal- I looked and palladian and yarmouth blue first (which by the way grossamer looks a lot like yarmouth) but my husband felt it was way too light. I love it though!

• BlushingRose22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello ladies!! I can't wait to show you the master bedroom. i went with the wood wedge gray. Turned out very nice and interesting. Every time i see it it seems different. I will post a pic as soon as we are able to step on the floors (we are getting them done). Thank you for all ur help!