Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faux68

Adding accessories--how did I do!

Faux68
10 years ago

I don't want anything overdone. I like metal, stone, industrial, and a limitless sparkle. I got 2 black coffee tables and put two trays diagonally on the tables.

Comments (29)

• Faux68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Added pillows, a lamp, a faux fur throw, a lamp, and a tall black pot. I am going to put branches and greenery for height to the corner vase.

• Faux68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And, I added a few things to the mantle. I needed something thin and tall. I also needed something that wouldn't over power the TV (be too distracting).

• Faux68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is a view from above. I have some art coming for the sofa wall. The table on the wall is a "place holder". I will probably use a painted piece there. Or, I might paint this table.

I have a mirror from horchow -- I think it is big and round to put on the left side of the fireplace. It feels good to make progress.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

Is that a hand sculpture on your tray???? Where can I get one????

You did a great job, I love the pillows for a pop of pattern. Love the coffee table for a bit a lightness, and the size is perfect.

But....about that hand...

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Please tell me there's a great story behind the hand, because it reminds me of "The Severed Hand,' a little film I was in where a hand kept chasing me. LOL!!!

Other than that, I think your room is great. The only thing I'd change are the picture frames but you can do that over time.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Beautiful, I wish I could accomplish that. Instead, I spent hours today at Mitchell Gold Bob Williams and came away having no idea what we're going to do. (I guess we'll be sitting on the floor even longer than I expected).

• annac54
    10 years ago

OMG Oakley! I saw that movie years ago and had nightmares for a long time......

Faux, I think it looks great so far. Looks sleek but also cozy and interesting. Love the floors.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

I think you have a good background here, which you can dress up or down as you like. (That said, I too am wondering about the hand. Left over from Halloween?)

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

It looks wonderful, magazine worthy.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

Oakley, were you in a movie? I must go rent it.
    I love the hand, too.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh! That darn movie scared the geewilikers outta me. Hadn't thought of that in years. Did it give you nightmares like it did Anna and me?

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Very nice! Your room looks like it will work equally well for a lively gathering, or as a cozy spot to curl up in front of a roaring fire on a chilly day!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I would add some color you love. And does that hand have any meaning to you? Also, more photos on the table and not flanking the fire place.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

I love the big library lamp!

I might remove the tall bronze statue to the left of the tv. It looks a bit precarious there on the edge.

• Faux68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HAHA! Kellie, I haven't seen that movie and I kinda am getting the feeling that I do not want to!! The funny thing about the hand is that I kept going back and forth between creepy in a bad way and creepy in a quirky way. So, it is creepy in a bad way. HAHA. It is staying. Are you talking about the frames at the bottom on the fireplace floor or the ones on that table behind the sofa?

SJHockeyfan, I do that all of the time. I have a whole house to decorate and so much to do. I have brought a trailer shopping determined to find things and I have come back empty. It is so frustrating. I just refuse to settle for something I don't love. So, it is taking a lot of time. The truth is that once I get a room put together it stays that way for years so I really need to take my time and make sure it is something I will love for more than a short time.

Gooster, I have it moved.

Thank you all for your kind comments and advice. I appreciate it so much! I really love coming here for help, to see what you all have done, and to get ideas.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Guess what - we went to the design area in West Hollywood today and came away both loving a sofa that is completely different (and much more expensive of course!) that we both love. We were looking at contemporary, but this is modern, at fabric but this is leather, at charcoal but this is mushroom, etc. but we truly love it, whereas we didn't absolutely love anything else we've seen. This will mean changing the type of coffee table (no more leather cocktail ottoman) but it will be worth it! Thanks for the inspiration!

• Faux68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This was my inspiration room. I love how soothing neutrals are. I love circles. I wanted black subtly mixed in. It was nice seeing so much of my wish list in this picture. I love everything Michael Abrams on Houzz. So, my room is my version of what this picture represents to me.

• Faux68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SJhockey, Modern, leather, and mushroom--sounds beautiful. Show us pictures when you can. What is important is that you LOVE it. It takes longer, can be frustrating, but it is so worth it!

What are you thinking for the coffee table/ottoman? I might be able to find it. I feel like I have seen everything there is out there!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Faux, this is funny, we were on a road trip last night, and I was surfing the net the whole way. I went onto Houzz and typed in "mushroom" "leather" and "chair" I think and guess what popped up first - your inspiration photo!

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Now that I see your inspiration photo, have you considered a rug to ground the grouping? Perhaps something monochromatic with a circle or swirl theme like your inspiration photo (except in tan/beige).

You could also pick up that theme in a new console -- I think you mentioned above you were looking at one.

• Faux68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gooster, I totally agree. It is still a work in progress. The move to this home was stressful to my dog. She started marking my rugs. So, I pulled all of them out and I am retraining her. That was a few months ago. She quit having accidents because there is nothing for her to mark. Yesterday, I put down a 4x6 rug near her crate (her home). If she doesn't mark it then I am going to add a rug. The deadline I am using is spring.

I am thinking about painting the table I have matte black and using a circles stencil from cutting edge stencils and using glossy black. I think it will look great. There is sentimental value . . . So I would like to use it somewhere.

SJhockeyfan-- how are your plans coming? As frustrating as decorating, especially shopping, can be it is also fun and rewarding.

• Faux68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Who? Me? This is the reason I don't have rugs on my main floor. Meet Jazzy.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Cutie!

Faux, we went to the store today to pick up a sample of the leather. We ended up biting the bullet because we were able to get the sale price even though the sale actually ended a week ago. At first we purchased the sectional and chair, and then my DH noticed another chair we liked even better, so we ripped up the first order and re-did it! Unfortunately, the factory is in Italy - we won't see this stuff for 4 months.

Interestingly, we went for a smaller length sectional than we had planned on. We were in a different store over the weekend and they had one in the size we had originally planned, and we looked at it and thought it was ridiculous, just too long (we have the space, but not the people to sit on it LOL). The net result is we also can go with a smaller rug. The whole thing will be more compact and intimate. I can't wait.

We elected not to get the leather toss pillows, since we can use pillows to add color.

So if you come across a great taupe and aqua or teal rug, let me know!

• Faux68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SJhockey that is great. I agree with not getting matching pillows. You can add some personality by mixing and matching. It is going to be a long 4 months!

• romy718
    10 years ago

Jazzy is darling. Meet Oliver, who started marking in my house when all the furniture started disappearing. We were redoing the wood floors & all his favorite chairs & sofas disappeared. We have one sofa & chair back in place. I think he has stopped, nothing in a couple of weeks.
    Your room does look magazine worthy. I was inclined to agree with nosoccermom about moving the bigger family pictures to the console table but when I reread your post, you have artwork planned for that wall. You also mentioned a big round mirror?

• Faux68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Romy718, sometimes I feel like I am the only one who is having problem. Oliver is so cute (looks like my Jazzy's brother) and looks so happy. Do you think having the room change stressed him enough to start marking? Maybe he felt like he had to put his scent on what was left so it didn't disappear too? Dogs sure are a quirky crew.

When Jazzy marks it is a small amount of urine. When we moved she would mark after coming in from outside or a walk.

I got excited and thought my dog might be ready for a second rug. It was a clearance rug from wayfair. I am not in love with it. I threw it in the hallway by the front door Sunday. She marked it the first day. It is wool. I am starting to be convinced that it is the wool. The other rug that she marked practically EVERY day was wool. Now I have to wonder---it is the material or is it the placement? AND, even if I use the right material and right placement can I even trust her at this point?

Thank you so much for posting. I kind of like the frames there. I will try to figure out if there is a better place.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Faux68, can you lay down some towels in the places where you'd like to have rugs and see if they get marked? It would be a change of fabric and very easy to wash if they do get marked. I had a cat that started doing that when she had a uti, so I'm assuming you've had a vet check up. She didn't pee on anything but fabric, rugs, clothes on floor being sorted for the wash, etc.

• Faux68
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Olychick, you are right, about two months after the move I finally did bring her to the vet. She did have a UTI. The vet scolded me because it was a "bad UTI". Honestly, I thought she was having issues with the move. The UTI was cured. She continued to mark the wool rug after that.

Maybe she continued to mark because a habit? Or, because the previous owners had dogs? I really thought any scent of the previous dogs was gone because of the deep cleaning, painting, new carpet, and sanding the hardwood floors. I am not sure if that is the problem?

It wouldn't hurt to re-check for a UTI if she has more accidents.

She doesn't mark clothes on the floor. Just the rugs. She doesn't mark the carpet on the other floors but we don't let her go to the other floors w/o supervision.

Thank you for your post. I would like to get this solved. Right now I am scared to bring her to friends houses. I think she will mark. The dog sitter said she marked there the first time they watched her. I don't think she has marked since then. If she doesn't mark anymore at their house I need to find out how they stopped it.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

One thing I did with my cat was use puppy training pads. I placed one on the rug she was marking and she marked that. I kept moving it (a new one each time, obviously) until it was off the rug and eventually moved to her litter box area. They attract pets and she started seeking it out. Not sure where it could be moved for a dog, but maybe a utility room until they are broken of the habit of going on the rug? Just an idea.