Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

If I have two large rugs in a room how different should they be?

In the living room, I already have one 9 x 13 rug and wish to place in another area of the same room, a second 9 x 13 rug. The first is a PB rug (Brice), in soft greens and blues and the second should be.....?

I have an idea but need a confirmation. I cannot get another PB Brice rug, btw, in case that was a thought. The rugs won't be overlapping either.

Comments (16)

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I really like what they've done here...similar background color, but a difference in vibrancy between them. Similar, but not identical style and coordinating colors.

[Modern Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2105) by Austin Architects & Designers Webber + Studio, Architects

[Craftsman Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/craftsman-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2116) by Silver Spring Architects & Designers Gardner Mohr Architects LLC

but this is nice, too. Completely different, each perfect for their use/space, but complementary.

[Traditional Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by San Francisco Architects & Designers Architect Mason Kirby Inc.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's very helpful, Oly, those pictures. Thank you!
    I admit, I was wondering if I should get something neutral ( sisal, jute, solid wool) instead of another pattern.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I would look for something with the same colors but a very different pattern. IMO, the second pic that Oly posted is the most successful of the three.

• geokid
    10 years ago

Would any of the color options of the PB Scroll Tile rug work with the Brice? Just to get you thinking about pattern.

Here is the Brice.

This post was edited by geokid on Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 9:01

• lolauren
    10 years ago

Two competing patterns in a room drive me crazy, even if it is just two different rugs. If the rugs don't match, I would make one a neutral like you listed (jute, seagrass, etc.) If you looked at the above photos and they look good to you; however, then ignore my comment. :)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Sue and Lolauren and Geo for posting the Brice.
    Those pictures help because they isolate what I like, in particular, the last one is my favorite as the pattern is barely visible and the two rugs read as a value instead due to the lighting of the photograph.

I don't like the first one and the second one is ok and about what I have already going on with the current Brice rug and the dining room rug.

I like the scroll rug but really like the bird medallion best of the PB rugs, which this doesn't have to be. I'm trying to find out what type of rug is best right now.

• User
    10 years ago

I really don't think there is any way to state what looks good in all cases, categorically. As with most things, It Depends.....on your colors, your furniture, the architecture of the rooms, and not the least the two rugs themselves. I honestly cannot imagine you making a mistake in this area, Bumble, with your eye for color and shape. And in my own opinion, having one beautifully patterned rug and one jute or seagrass rarely works. It takes away from the neutral texture (practically mumbling audibly 'I'm here because I'm unimportant") and gives far too much importance to the patterned one. It also sometimes looks like the second was an afterthought or that the budget ran out.

• Janice742
    10 years ago

Without knowing your furniture palette, here are a few that may work....

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Janice, I love the first one you posted with the birds. Can you tell me where to find it on-line? TIA.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Not sure if it helps but I was reminded of my library rugs - one is actually a runner - two different patterns but sharing several colors.

• Janice742
    10 years ago

All are from Home Decorators.

I just ordered a foyer rug from them... They are currently having a sale on rugs as well.

I went back on the site to try to find it and I can't.... they have so many. I'll try again later.

• Janice742
    10 years ago

found it

Here is a link that might be useful: rug

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Kswl, for your encouragement. I feel the same as you about the grass rugs ( and all those nooks and crannies to clean) but was thinking of a neutral wool instead of a pattern.

Janice, thank you. I love that second rug so much!
    Holly, I like the bird rug too a lot.
    Schoolhouse, that's such a wonderful room. So much ambiance.

• kevinmark
    9 years ago

Yes layering is very common these days. As it can give a distinguished look with the varied textures. For example, a shaggy rug over a kelim rug is an epitome of creativity.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Holly, are we actually twins separated at birth???

I agree with KSWL. Also think Schoolhouse's example shows so well how very different Persians can be combined to wonderful effect.