Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Chairs on CL WWYD?

TxMarti
9 years ago

I'm still watching for the right pair of chairs on CL - long enough that I don't know that I will ever find any on CL.

But, today I changed the way I search, and found these, that were posted 4 days ago. I haven't called on them yet. I thought I'd ask you all first.

Here are my concerns and questions.
1) They look dated - the fabric at least. How old though?
2) If they are as old as I think - maybe 10 years? - I think they are overpriced. (I know DFW is often cheaper than northern states)
3) If they are dated and overpriced, how do you negotiate down to something reasonable?

Oops, here's the link to it.

This post was edited by marti8a on Sun, Nov 2, 14 at 18:43

Comments (41)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Ask if the price is negotiable. If they say no, ask them to keep your email address in case they don't sell and they are willing to lower the price, as you are concerned about the cost of having them reupholstered. If you believe the style is dated, though, it's harder to negotiate a price because you can't change the style at a cost to you. The style is what it is.

• patiencenotmyvirtue
    9 years ago

Hi Marti, I'm in Arlington and watch DFW craigslist all the time hoping for some of those fabulous quality finds that happen in the northeast. It has been a consistently dry run.

I think those chairs are older than 10 years. And you are right, they are overpriced. Are you planning to reupholster them? I'd ask about the brand and see what you can learn.

Good luck!!

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

anniecat, yes, I would recover them. I'll see if the seller knows (or will admit to) how old they are. I keep watching for the fabulous stuff that people here post from their CL, and have seen very little. I usually put chairs in my search though and it's usually the same two dining sets or office chairs.

Tibbrix, that's a nice way of putting it. Thank you.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Actually, Marti, if I were you, I'd be HOPING they're older. Older furniture was made MUCH better. However, they definitely need recovering, which is costly. If they've got good bones, though, they're a good buy.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Actually, I don't think they are much overpriced. New Thomasville some years ago was quite adequate furniture. If they are solid, get them--they are a standard looking easy chair that can go anywhere you want, I think. You could also slipcover such a chair easily.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

CL in South Central PA is ridiculous. I wouldn't buy the furniture listed there when it was new so I sure as heck wouldn't buy it used. Fortunately we have several very nice consignment shops that often have nice items. I wish our CL was good!

If you really like the chairs and they are comfy make an offer.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

They'[re definitely dated-I'd even venture that they're from the mid-90's based on the fabric. But they're nice chairs, even though the asking price is very high for what they are.

They're a typical example of I find on our CL. We tend to be over run with Ashley furniture here, however.

You definitely should contact the seller and ask questions. Sounds as if they're needing to unload them, so I'd make arrangements to see them, give them a sit and see if they're of decent quality. From there ask about a better price-mention you really like them, however you'd need to have them reupholstered to match your decor-could they consider a better price? If they say no, then offer to leave your contact info.

If your CL is anyhing like ours, posts get buried in a matter of minutes and theirs could be on page 6 by tomorrow evening. So keep this listing info and keep checking back. Chances are no one else will call on them and you might be getting a call from them offering a lower price.

I just bought a good quality runner from a CL seller yesterday-oddly enough I've been looking for a pumpkin colored rug and I found this one. He's listed a lot on CL and mentioned that he knows I ot a steal-CL is notorious for being low priced, so it's entirely possible your seller isn't aware that CL is a bargain hunters paradise.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Also, check the legs on them. If they're nice legs, and if you buy the chairs, when you get them reupholstered, consider not getting a skirt. That will update the look of them as well. Including the ottoman.

• bac717
    9 years ago

I agree with vedazu. I don't think they are overpriced, but then again that may be a regional thing. The fabric is very dated, tho, and would need a slipcover or reupholstering. I would also be curious to know the dimensions of the chairs, especially the height of the back. Older pieces of furniture tend to be shorter and don't work well with newer, larger scaled furniture.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pesky, you are right about the bargain hunters and that is exactly what I am with these chairs because they are a want, not a need and I have almost nothing in the budget for them.

My dd bought a living room set on CL with very similar fabric, and she paid $200 for a sofa, loveseat, and chair. There is, or was, another set of chairs similar to this one, except they were chenille, up-to-date color (except it's a shade off from my walls), and barely used, for $300. Then there are these chairs for $80 that I'm not crazy about but could live with. That's what makes me think these are overpriced.

But apparently it doesn't matter because the seller hasn't replied to my text.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Wow, below two Thomasville chairs in my neck of the woods.

Here is a link that might be useful: TV chairs

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would buy those nsm!

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I donâÂÂt really think it matters the age. The older stuff is made better. I would look to see that the cushions are still good. I would email them and say you do not wish to offend but could they please keep your number if they do not get asking price as you are looking for something similar in the hundred or less price range per chair for reupholstering. This works sometimes.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

If you will slipcover, what about these? I like the arms. Do you want ottomans?

Here is a link that might be useful: chairs for $50

This post was edited by anele on Sun, Nov 2, 14 at 20:46

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I saw those anele, and they may be nice but I don't really want to buy upholstered furniture from a used furniture place. I'd rather know a little more about it. And, I really dislike slip covers. They always look, well, slip covered.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update: I got a reply from the seller. She said they are about 3 years old.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Is she maybe telling a porky pie? I would email her back and sayâ¦Darn! I was looking for something from the eighties!

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL

• bac717
    9 years ago

Ha! Maybe they acquired them 3 years ago. Or it only seems like they've had them for 3 years. OR.....she left off a 0 when she was typing the number.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I would NOT buy chairs that are only three years old, esp. for $360. They look awfully worn for three years old to me. People have got to get it out of their heads that newer is always better. Nowadays, newer is rarely better.

Marti, look for antique chairs on CL. THOSE are worth reupholstering.

Dalla CL: Now THESE are worth the money and reupholstering, IMO. These would be absolutely fantastic if you were to strip the wood down to the wood and reupholster.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chairs

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

"....... I don't really want to buy upholstered furniture from a used furniture place. I'd rather know a little more about it. "
    I know what you mean, marti, but for all you know, furniture from any CL home may very well have been purchased at Goodwill.
    And yes, most will agree with jterrilyn : the older, the better!
    In my area, these chairs would be priced at about 100$ each. So, if you got them for that, you must then add the cost of fabric and recovering. By my very rough estimate, you will then have two chairs for $800 : not a bad investment ...IF you want this style chair.
    And regarding Tibrix idea of looking for nice feet. I have a few skirted Drexel, and Baker chairs ...none with cute legs. If the original was skirted, then no cute legs..Darn ! This discussion makes me want to begin a other one on buying used upholstery.
    Good luck, marti
    From marti. :)

• bergiesgirl
    9 years ago

As a fellow Arlingtonian that CL DFW furniture market is just not a hotbed of deals. I gave up on dining chairs to recover for the head of the table. I keep saying I am going to go to an estate sale, have you tried one of those.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

marti, if you're going to reupholster, why do you care where the chairs come from? Used is used.

Bergies, I just looked up "antique chairs" on CL Dallas and there are so GORGEOUS dining chairs thereâ¦and STEALS!

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link to those chairs Tibbrix. I usually screen out dealers because there is so much cheap junk there. Those said newly reupholstered, so that is a bit steep to buy and redo. But I'll check other dealer ads and even antique section.

marti, I didn't really want to sound mean, but I really meant that I wouldn't buy upholstered furniture from a place like that (I know that one) that stores their furniture in a carport or old barn. Not sure I'd buy wood furniture that had been stored in those conditions.

BergiesGirl, we used to go to estate sales and auctions all the time, but they have all but disappeared here. Neighbor across the street had a couple lined up to do an estate sale with her mother's stuff, and the couple decided to close up shop. They were the only ones she could find in this area. How are you finding them?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

marti, look for antique chairs that have the squared off hind legs and which are part of the frame, not attached feet/legs.

THOSE are good chairs and worth investing in. Like this one. Notice the hind legs.

Even if the hind legs aren't straight, look for all of the legs on a chair to be part of the frame. That is how furniture used to be made, and it's heavy, wonderful stuff that lasts forever.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, that chair makes my heart ache!

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Bergies, these are lovely!

{{!gwi}}

Marti, if you are going to recover, I am also confused as to why it's an issue as to where the chairs come from. Recovering is very expensive unless you DIY (and even then, time consuming), so to me it would have to be an amazing chair to bother. What style are you looking for-- do you want rockers/swivel, and do you need a pair?

Here is a link that might be useful: Dining

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, that chair makes my heart ache!

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

anele, my concern is that they would have a musty smell even into the frame that simply recovering wouldn't remove. My first choice is not to reupholster but to find something I can use.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Substantially more expensive, but here are some leather chairs.

Here is a link that might be useful: leather chairs

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh man, NSM's chairs are gorgeous..but what's with the orange?

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the look I'm going for, but I prefer it not be so white.

[Beach Style Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/beach-style-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2110) by Chatham Architects & Building Designers Polhemus Savery DaSilva

• bergiesgirl
    9 years ago

Tibbrix what a tease that green chair isn't in the DFW craigslist. I will start peeking again for my dining chairs.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oops, sorry, BergiesGirl. Yep, just a Google search to give an example of an antique chair frame. I should have just taken a pic of my grandfather's chair in my own LR. Fantastic frame, horrible upholstery, huge tear in the cushion. Then you'd have all laughed.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

What about these? Not sure how good Bloomingdale's furniture is, but the price is right.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 chairs

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks nsm. I called and he is going to get back with me. Venus isn't far out of the DFW area I don't think, so maybe dh will drive me over there later. They've been on CL for a month.

• patiencenotmyvirtue
    9 years ago

NSM, I've been looking at those leather chairs, but have absolutely no place for them. I think they look great.

Did you see the yellow tufted Hickory Leather chairs? Love those! But don't have a place for them, either.

Marti, do you need those yellow chairs?!?!?

Here is a link that might be useful: Hickory Yellow Leather

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice, but I can't use anything leather or yellow.

• patiencenotmyvirtue
    9 years ago

Apparently no one else can, either, at that price. They've been listed for a while now. Hope you find the perfect chairs for a great price.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

About 8 years ago, I bought a pair of wing chairs on ebay in the DFW area. I paid $36 for the pair. I had one recovered for the guest room in our vacation house, but I never could figure out what to do with the second one so I eventually donated it to Goodwill. The chair I kept is now on its second recovering and is in DD's LR.

To find things on ebay, search for the item you want (club chair), then sort by distance. btw, the pair of burnt orange chairs (University of Texas themed room, anyone?) are also on ebay. $1200 on CL; opening bid of $1400 on ebay with a Buy it Now of $1800.

Here is a link that might be useful: Burnt Orange chairs on ebay

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm in no hurry, yet. I'll keep watching for the right pair.

Do any of you have CL alerts sent to your phone or email for the newest listings? If phone, which app are you using?

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida