Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gigimom_gw

Reupholster boring sofa? 2nd edition

GigiMom
9 years ago

Got a message that I've reached the max limit for the forum, so I need to start a new thread.
I am so appreciative of all who have taken an interest!
I posted another pic from the end of previous thread. These are the new fabrics samples I picked up today.

Comments (43)

• GigiMom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Closer look at the fabrics. Considering the blue on blue pattern on the back of the sofa.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Is the other navy a velvet? If yoga re keeping the damask wing chair as is, I vote for the solid.
    If you are changing the wing chair, then I vote for the damask.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

LilyLore, astonishing is the correct word for it. :) Many of the other choices are quite nice, but that blue is just Whoa!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I also like the blue on the back. I think the large scale adds to the impact.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Love the blue Damask! That is a stunning fabric.

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

I agree, I love the blue damask on the back- perfect!

• Fori
    9 years ago

Agree. And it looks great with the dancer, who is also lovely.

Puppy looks sad, like she thinks she won't get to try them all out.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

If you're going for a more casual/transitional look, I don't think you'll achieve it with the blue damask. The damask reads very formal. Also, I see blue overload with a blue sofa. If I were you, before I made any decision about the sofa, I'd think about whether you plan to reupholester any of the other chairs in the room and/or replace any tables or lamps or accessories. Is this going to be a room makeover or a sofa makeover?

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Love the blue damask, especially with your rug! I really like the extra large paisley-ish pattern. I think it's a great update. I don't think it's too formal- It would work even in a less traditional room. I do think I'd take the valances down.

• voila
    9 years ago

The large damask is fabulous! Have we ever seen a close up of the wing chair upholstery? Is it blue?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

On my monitor the blue fabrics don't really go with the blue of the rug. Is that different in real life?

I'm in the minority here but while I love blue, I feel it may be a bit much blue since the dominant color in the rug is also blue.

How do you like it? Could you get a navy sheet and live with that for a while (crazy idea, I know, but I'd need to see it).

• GigiMom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As pretty as it is, it may still be too much blue⦠yes, nosocccermom, it's a different from the darker navy in the rug. I did try a navy blanket on the sofa, which makes the room too blue. Thought the damask would be more interesting, but it's still not great⦠just different. Will continue looking for samples and work on other elements in the room.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    9 years ago

I like the blue on the back too.

Though I still would like to see a lush down sofa in a deep emerald green velvet in there. Then treat your existing sofa as a secondary piece - kind of like a settee.

But of course, I can spend other people's money all day long...:)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Do they have the blue damask fabric in a non-rusty red?

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I am always been a sucker for damask. And the over-sized paisley makes it very modern. The scale is good with the rug print, too, because it's a different size, but also there are elements within the paisley that are close to the same size as the elements in the rug. There are enough dark blue areas for it to relate to the cobalt in the rug, with out the entire fabric being navy, if you were afraid of that in the velvet.

I wasn't sure until you snapped it on the seat that this is the fabric I would choose. It's very happy, even though it is dark. The velvet had a faded glory about it that appeals to me, but the large damask is elegant without being stogy.

If you go with it, I think it would fit in handsomely, You could then carry this same fabric into a slip cover for the wing back, if you choose, or little pillows for the arm chairs?

This post was edited by Lilylore on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 14:06

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

GiGimom, I want your sofa and I want it covered in that gorgeous blue damask. Seriously can you give me info on the fabric?

• GigiMom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pal, I would also love to see that blue damask in a non rusty red.. unfortunately they don't have it. :(
    The color is called foderol commodore http://www.calicocorners.com/p-4069-foderol-commodore.aspx
    Thanks for the words of encouragement Lilyloreâ¦. It's not out of the running just yet. I do agree with your opinion on the large damask⦠modern spin on tradition without feeling stodgy. That's what is so great about that fabric.My upholsterer says the fabric companies are not making many damasks anymore.
    Deedee, I wish I had the room to do what your suggest, but another sofa would not fit in my living room. The camelback is actually 85inches, so bigger than a settee. I am very intrigued by the idea of green, but have not come across the right sample yet.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Gigi, as I implied in my previous post, I think you should first decide what direction you'd like to take the room. You described it as old ladyish. I don't think simply changing the fabric on the sofa will be enough to change the feel of the room. Yes, it will update the sofa, but I think you'll still find the room stuffy feeling if you will. Have you looked at Houzz for inspiration photos? I think other elements of the room need tweaking before you go ahead and upholster the sofa. You should consider the room as a whole, not just look at the rug and sofa to see if they "go" together. Just my opinion FWIW.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I agree with K9arlene.
    I love that camelback sofa and would look for rooms that incorporate the shape and that you love.

I'm sorry, but I find damask a tad "old ladyish", and now I'll duck and cover.....

Now

20 years ago

See below for a fresh take on camel backs

Here is a link that might be useful: camel backs

• User
    9 years ago

I am still liking the light camel velvet welted in blue :-)

Damask is one of my favorites (my entire DR is damask) but I don't think it updates the room much, if at all.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I'm with kswl on the lighter camel and some blues, also in lamps and accessories.

• GigiMom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, K9arlene, I have spent lots of time on Houzz! It's a great resource. My problem is that I do not have any decorator talents and I need to move a step at a time. I focused on the sofa, since the current fabric just bugs me :) I am shopping around for a new glass/brass coffee table and I am looking at curtain rods. However, I do still hope to find a wonderful fabric for the sofaâ¦..

• amykath
    9 years ago

I love the blue, but with the rug, its not working. I like the green. It picks up on the green in the rug. I also think the red looks good. Its just me, but I would stay away from any mauve or pinkish rose tones.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    9 years ago

How about a warm golden brown leather?

Higher priced but would give a somewhat casual feel to the piece. Leather would also allow some play with fabric options on the chair(s).

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I think you've found some lovely fabrics, but I'm with nosoccermom in that I'd be looking at more contemporary fabrics to get away from the old ladyish look. I love the one she pictured, as well as some on that pinterest site. Not sure if these were there or not, but some more ideas:

I know animal prints are overused/passe and I'm not really suggesting it, but this would be really fun in a room as formal as yours:

• Mike121
    9 years ago

For a rich, gaudy and formal look i would be happy with the navy blue shade but when i need a bit of liveliness then red would be the most suitable. Green has no comparisno when you need a calm and relaxed, eye pleasing casual look. Yes, the puppy is very cute by the way!

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

Gigi: I, too, have been searching for a fabric to cover my camel back sofa. I found this blogger's choice and really like it. What do you think? I am a neutral sofa girl. It gives you lots of room to play with pillows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dwell By Cheryl

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Any chance you could post a pic of the other side of your room to include other upholesterd pieces?

• amykath
    9 years ago

Cool link k9! She is amazing!

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Any chance you could post a pic of the other side of your room to include other upholesterd pieces?

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

earlier thread for newcomers

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Someone is going to have to volunteer to use that oversized damask somewhere. C'mon, people. That's great stuff.

But you are right Gigi, it's probably not "The One" for you.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Does that oversized damask come in any other colorways? I may have a use for it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Oh shoot, it does not. (but thank you for obliging, KD!)

Then again, just because Calico does not have another colorway, it may still exist , right?

They just buy from suppliers and not exclusive it seems to me ...

Funny I thought the OP had a typo in 'folderol', but no ... off to look up .. foderol?

Here is a link that might be useful: damask link

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

hey, it used to come in yellow

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

How about something in an oversized paisley eg

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Hmm. That yellow one is closer to the style of my sofa. Not a color I can use, but thanks.
    GigiMom,
    A peacock color?

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Another peacock:

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

And another:

• GigiMom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Many thanks, forum folks for more suggestions and cool photos!! I think I'm gravitating toward the sage green samples. But, as some have suggested I need to have more of a plan/vision for the room. If I change the sofa, I will have to do something with the blue damask wing chair. What I have done, which a few of you suggested, is change my lamp shades! Here is a picture. Also rearranged the decorations on the end tables. I found a coffee table(per forum suggestions) that appeals to me: http://www.drexelheritage.com/Furniture/Product-Detail.aspx?ItemID=433910 It's not as pricey as LaBarge or Baker⦠but I like it. Haven't had time to take down the valances, but I will! Local store suggested Paris Texas curtain hardware. Has anyone used this brand?
    I am toying with the idea of just switching up the decorative pillows to a few solids with pretty trim/fringe. That would break up the striped busy visual in the room.

• GigiMom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another pic of the other side of the room. I have no idea why some of my photos appear sideways⦠I am not taking them sideways.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

By the way, it bears repeating, you have a lovely room!

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

Oh my, it's amazing how a couple of simple changes has made a world of difference! I would wait on the sofa and get the coffee table and some solid pillows as you suggested and live with it for a while. Seeing the whole room puts things in perspective. It's really lovely.