Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ottertail_gw

Whats on top of your kitchen cabinets?

ottertail
16 years ago

What ideas do you have on what to put on top of kitchen cabinets. My kitchen has ten foot ceiling and the cabinets stop at 8 feet. so I have two feet of space for decorating. I would like a new look from the miscellaneous stuff I have up there and need ideas.

Comments (29)

• dlfrun66
    16 years ago

Here's mine.

• mclarke
    16 years ago

Dust. Just dust.

• johnmari
    16 years ago

I don't have pictures because they're not unpacked yet, but in previous houses when I've had space above my cabinets I've put my baskets up there. They create monster clutter if they're down lower but up there they're okay. :-) If I want one, I can use a yardstick to hook it down and then I make DH put it back! LOL As I said in the "fillers" thread I'm not really a tchotchke-oriented person, so I'm highly unlikely to buy "decorative accessories" to put up there.

• cathrugg
    16 years ago

we dont have anything as we dont have too much room. i am really interested in the other responses for some suggestions though...

• texashottie
    16 years ago

Pretty kitchens! Dino, I love your look!

I put some garland-y stuff up on mine, which I'm not crazy about. I left it up to see if I'd warm up to it. I think I'm just a cleaner-look kinda girl---I'm taking it down.

I like my cabinets plain, I guess.

• amysrq
    16 years ago

Dust and grease?

• justgotabme
    16 years ago

WOW Otter, two feet of height? You are so very lucky. You can almost say the sky is the limit and mean it! Do you have pictures to share? Not just the kitchen, but of the items you have that you'd like to reuse.
    I have a collection of white dishes above my kitchen cabinets. Mostly milkglass, some with a bit of color added and a few bits of color added. My walls are a deep blue with chestnut cabinets so I needed something to lighten it up. I need to take new pictures, I've made changes since there were taken, but this will give you some idea of how it looks.
    {{!gwi}}

• cao100
    16 years ago

Here is mine:

{{!gwi}}

• clturner3
    16 years ago

Check this site out below. I just did a post on "what to put above kitchen cabinets". Some of the photos of kitchens in this post are beautiful and the way the tops are decorated look really nice. They all have the right idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Christy's Thriftry Decorating

• ottertail
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here are photos of the kitchen right now. I don't really have the time tonight to photograph things I have that might go up there. I would be open to buying stuff if needed as I don't know I have anything that would work that isn't already up there.

;

;

• yborgal
    16 years ago

I have a collection of copper coffee pots and some terracotta urns that I've placed up there along with some artwork our daughter painted for us. It's probably too much for most people, but I found that less made the space look naked.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

A big chunk of soffit that serves no purpose that I can see because the cabinets aren't secured to that box-o-drywall above, but rather the wall behind. I don't like it.

• sweets98
    16 years ago

Primitive kitchen Antiques.... my whole kitchen is filled with them but I have special things up on top so that they don't get knocked down like the glass almost mint condition butter churn that I got from my grandparents house. Of course the stuff collects dust but seeing the items up there makes me happy. I can handle climbing up there to clean every so often! :)

• emagineer
    16 years ago

Have always loved boxes and trunks. When I moved into my little house there wasn't enough area to use them and not look cluttered. I took the special ones and even bought a couple new for the top of the cabinets. Plants aren't my thing, but dried herb bunches are and have a couple up there. As much as the cabinet design looks nice, that space above is such a waste to me.

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

I think that it looks best to have a few "groupings" on top the the cabinets rather than a row of objects all across. You don't need to fill the entire space.

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

I'm struggling with this also. I've left it undecorated so far, and I think I may prefer it that way. I might have to play around with it to see if anything strikes me, but so far, I really do like it plain.

• Kathryn Dunbar
    16 years ago

I went with artificial plants and put all of my vases up there. I've bought a few other 'things' to go up there, and ideally would like to replace my vases with some other pieces. Don't mind the mess in my kitchen :D

• ottertail
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Monablair. I like your chandelier. What line is it?

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

My kitchen is contemporary. I have nothing on top of mine and plan to keep it that way. Easy maintenance.

• acoreana
    16 years ago

Wow, beautiful kitchens above!

I've been waiting patiently to post mine. DBF finally got the pic off his camera for me. Here is what mine looks like now (with my new *color*...and a few of the chickens/roosters I've received and a couple I've bought (once people know you like'm, its all you get! lol) :

The angle makes it look like the tray & medallion touch, they don't. The smaller green plate on the right has a bunny...a sure sign you spend too much time on this board! :-D

(The green plates on the left are temporary (we eat on those), due to an accident which broke one of the decorative ones that normally go there. Had to explain as even DD has told me "Mom, those plates don't look good".)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• yborgal
    16 years ago

ottertail, it came either from Lowe's or Home Depot. A modest purchase, not pricey. Thank you.

• ottertail
    Original Author
    16 years ago

acoreana,
    Wow! What am amazing difference. Like your new look!

• acoreana
    16 years ago

Thank you ottertail! I appreciate the kind comments immensely. This place is evolving, in large part to the daily inspiration I get on here.

I have to tell you that when I first saw your backsplash it completely had me second guessing the randomness in mine. If I had seen it before doing my own I think I would've copied you! Also love the bump out at your sink.

Thanks again.

• dlfrun66
    16 years ago

Thanks Texashottie.. That's very nice to say. Is your kitchen done in old world style? Seems like I remember your name and kitchen from about the time was finished about 2 years ago. I could be mistaken though.

• blondiel
    16 years ago

Nothing at all above my cabinets. Can't stand the clutter, plus too much work to get the dust off.

• loribee
    16 years ago

Classic blue and white pieces!
    Lori

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bulldinkie
    16 years ago

MIne is all antique tins,with advertising,coffee cans,milk bottles,soda bottles etc

• gardenchick1
    16 years ago

Here's mine. I don't like too much above because I don't want the eye going right up to the ceiling and looking too busy .. just a little something to fill the void and to illuminate with the rope lighting.

{{!gwi}}

• ottertail
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gardenclick,
    Tell me more about your hood. If is painted the same color as the wall? I have a wood hood that I am interested improving. Not in this kitchen....at my lake home on another post.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz