Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sis2two

Tibbrix- me again!

sis2two
9 years ago

Hi Tibbrix! It turns out that the Georgian Brick isn't going to work in my dining room after all. So I'm really thinking about using Lennox Tan and plan to get a larger sample tomorrow. The G.B. didnt really look good next to the pine elements, particularly the hutch. It even went kind of drab looking in there. II even thought about going with a different red, but am really thinking I need a more neutral wall color. I actually put my flat braided rug back down and it's just too much with the red walls. Just wanted you to know because I know you are a fan of the Lennox Tan.

Comments (10)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Sis, isn't picking paint colors fun? Ugh.

While you're there, pick up a sample of BM Elk Horn as well. Paint a good swath of all of the walls in both the Lenox Tan and the Elk Horn. Elk Horn has a slightly higher LRV than Coriander Seed, as I recently learned from someone here who is going with the Elk Horn. But it's a gorgeous color, very spicy, like cumin,a nd would be warm and rich and wonderful in your DR.

If you go with the Lenox Tan or the Elk Horn, see if you can't have a couple of sconces installed somewhere. The way light plays off those colors is to die for. I'm sitting in my Lenox Tan LR, first fire of the season, watching "The Devil and Miss Jones" while waiting for the Patriots game to begin, and I feel surrounded by warmth and luxury because of the Lenox Tan. But I've got that pine ceiling, which I think has a lot to do with it. I think the Elk Horn would do for your DR what the Lenox Tan does for my LR, since you have a white ceiling. (Id' also paint your ceiling a light tan, btw).

It'd going to be gorgeous. Your furniture and decor is simple and elegant, which is great with those two colors, IMO. can' wait to see it! Good luck!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

BM Elk Hornâ¦gorgeous.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Lenox Tan

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got the two large samples of Elk Horn and Lennox Tan this morning and honestly they just didn't do anything for the room. The more I think about it, I haven't found a color that I like better than the red! But what I've come to realize is that I don't like the exact shade of my red! Got a sample of Hot Apple Spice by BM and really like it. It's more of a brownish red and has a little more red in it than the Georgian Brick so it does have more contrast with my hutch. You have helped me so much so I wanted to update you.

My next decision will be a rug so if you have any suggestions please let me know. My braided rug has too much red in it to work in there. Thanks.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The Hot Apple Spice is beautiful. Wonderful choice.

I think this rug would be great with the Hot Apple Spice and your decor.

Here is a link that might be useful: marrakech rug ivory/blue

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love it but not sure about the blue. Love the small amount of the red color in it. This rug is directly across from a room that is a brownish green. Would that matter?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

No, wouldn't matter That's what's so nice about that style of rug. No matter the colors or pattern, they go with everything. Of course, you'd want to see the rug in person to see what it really looks like. If you can't find it at a retailer's, some here have had a great suggestion of ordering it in a 3X5 to see what it looks like and then sending it back.

I actually selected one with some blue in it because of a pic of the Hot Apple Spice I found online with a gray ceiling. I think the combo is very pretty. Got me thinking you might consider painting the ceiling in either a subtle blue/gray or something like this, BM Danville Tan, which looks really beautiful next to the Hot Apple Spice, and light reflecting off such a ceiling would be gorgeous.

I love DRs that are warm and cozy and elegant. That Hot Apple Cider is just that, so beautiful

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh I like the idea of a tan on the ceiling. Even though the rest of my ceilings are white, would that make a difference?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Sis,

open a new window on your computer and bring up the BM swatch of Hot Apple Spice and put it right next to the pic of the Marrakech rug. They're completely gorgeous together, including the blue.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

No, different ceiling color wouldn't make a difference because the room is its own, right, and the trim and doors would be the same.

Open floor plans are difficult that way, but individual rooms are not, and my own belief is that each room should be planned based on how that particular room is used and how you want to feel when you're in that room. More important to set the ambience of each room as you want it than making sure the colors segue perfectly, which no one even notices. but they DO notice how they feel when they're in the room!