Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Staging the living room - tell me if I'm on the right track?

TxMarti
10 years ago

The beams are done and I just have a few touch up things in the room before new flooring. I also have to paint the hall and foyer, so it won't be this week. But I plan on buying furniture on CL and that could take awhile, so I'd like to know what will work in there so I can watch for the right pieces.

This is the room today from back and front:

Oh yes, and get the scaffold out. Yay! I hope someone does an intervention if I ever consider buying another house with vaulted ceiling.

This is the layout of the living room and adjoining rooms.

The problems I have always had with the room are the two areas marked with the red Xs. I know you can figure out where the traffic patterns are, but I marked them with green lines anyway. I've tried chairs in those corners and it just doesn't work. They become isolated from the rest of the furniture. Lately I've had deep shelving units there and that has worked best.

Also, the framing for the windows must have been done on a Monday because someone didn't do their math. And I can't figure out how to make the windows look the same. I put curtains on them at one time, with the rod from wall to fireplace and that helped, but was still obvious when they were open.

I am totally open to suggestions. I've gotten a few ideas from browsing online. One is to put a round table directly in front of the front door, with a couple of chairs and a small coffee table facing the fireplace, kind of like this:

Beach Style Living Room by Chatham Architects & Designers Polhemus Savery DaSilva

Edited to add how that would work in my room:

Or four chairs in front of the fireplace with a round table or ottoman between them, like this

Traditional Family Room by Atlanta Architects & Designers Cole Design Studio, LLC

Edited to add how it would work in my room:

{{gwi:1877904}}

I'm not sure there is room for that though. 14 feet seems pretty big until I add room to walk around the furniture.

I like the grouping of chairs look, but the odds of finding three or four matching chairs in a decent color and style are slim to none on CL.

This post was edited by marti8a on Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 22:41

Comments (27)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm sorry if I missed it...this is staging for resale?

I would put a sofa on the long wall, and 2 chairs with an end table between opposite and one coffee table. I'd add an area rug.

Where the 2 "x"es are, I'd put matching book cases or a book case and a small desk like a secretary.

To cheat the windows, get 2 side panels for each and arrange them so they both reveal the same amount of light in the middle. No one will realize that behind the drapes they are uneven.

While you are on CL, keep an eye out for one single large piece of art or mirror for over the fireplace.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Annie. What colors can you see in my living room? And yes, it is for resale.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Did you know - there is cardboard staging furniture?

Unfortunately, it does look like cardboard boxes with a surefit slipcover.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I would try to pick out a warm cream color from the brick in the FP. Then get the furniture to see what color it is, then do the drapes to coordinate.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I meant for the furniture. The room is already painted - Antique White. Kind of a grayish, yellow/white.

I found two loveseats on CL tonight, but they are red. They look nice, but they're red. Solid red.

I found another loveseat that is yellow. I think it would disappear into the wall or clash horribly.

Then, there was a bronze colored one.

In the family room, I have a sofa, loveseat, and recliner that are all blue leather, along with a blue chenille recliner and a tan chenille recliner. The leather furniture is the big puffy, recliner type. Dh said we'll just put some of it in the living room and I said no. He had that look that said yes, we will, so I feel a fight coming on. I don't think it would look good to have the same furniture in both rooms.

I plan on ditching the blue recliner when dh isn't around, and putting the tan one in a bedroom where I will either have a twin bed or a crib, unless I find another bed on CL.

No decent upholstered chairs yet.

This post was edited by marti8a on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 23:39

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I didn't even notice the windows until you mentioned it, but yes, someone screwed up. Looks as though they forgot to reverse the measurements so they'd be equal.

As for furniture I love the four chairs if it works for you since you have another room where family gathers. We have four armless chairs in the ladies parlor and it's so nice to gather and chat in there.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Like slipper chairs? That would take up less room for sure.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I would put a sofa on the long wall and then two chairs on the wall perpendicular to it. Maybe even a chaise could work or a loveseat in the other area where the traffic flows across the room. I would definitely get a rug that is neutral but with some color in it.

I really love the colors in this rug. Not sure the size you will need.

I also would add drapes and maybe shades that might help the mismatched windows.

Good luck! You are doing great so far!! It looks so nice!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug

• geokid
    10 years ago

I immediately thought of this home from my idea folder. It's very similar to your home!

• geokid
    10 years ago

Here's the view from the other side. Notice the scale is different. The first photo really distorts the size of the room.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Yes slipper chairs Marti.

I don't know why I haven't taken a photo since we got the new rug, but this one was taken soon after we got the chairs. Please remember our home is a work in progress. We are still working on making, staining and installing the wood trim and built ins.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

aktillery, that's a great rug. I had no idea they were so cheap on overstock.

I'm not sure which wall you meant for the chairs. I re-measured the room and drew it on room planner with some furniture pieces to show how they fit or don't fit in the space. Sofa is 84x36 and chairs are 36x36.

{{gwi:1877906}}

I've had a full sized sofa on that long wall before and it doesn't leave much room on either side, and whatever is between it and the window is wedged in the corner between the sofa and raised hearth of the FP. I think a loveseat would probably work better.

geokid, that room is a lot like mine. I wish mine were bumped out another 4 feet so I could chairs on either side of the fireplace like that. I really like the two sofa in an L.

Edited to add what it would look like in my room:

{{gwi:1877907}}

I didn't think the sofas would work that direction, but it does and I really like it. I like that it is welcoming to people walking in the front door too. People would have to walk between the furniture to go to the kitchen though.

This is with two loveseats in another configuration.

Edited to add what justgottobeme's room would look like in my room:

{{gwi:1877910}}

This is with 4 chair groupings.

{{gwi:1877911}}

What else should I try?

This post was edited by marti8a on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 16:31

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I missed your post while I was drawing justgottobeme. What size are your chairs? I like your room.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I love the last one Marti with just the three chairs.

The slipper chairs in our Ladies Parlor are 27" wide by 39" deep. I have a pair of more basic slipper chairs that are 24" wide and 27" deep though. I need to make slip covers for them, but here's what they looked like at the store. Though these are the exact ones I bought they are a dark pink in real life. They never photograph that way though.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I like the chairs for actual living but also think that it's not "mainstream" enough and may suggest to people that placing sofas is a problem.
    So, I'd go with the two love seats. How would two love seats facing each other work?

• msrose
    10 years ago

Weren't you going to add beams/trim at the ends of the room or was that someone else?

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Like these:

{{gwi:1877914}}

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL nosoccermom, placing sofas is a problem.

But I'll plug those into the software. The problem I think I'll have is that to have them centered in front of the FP, there won't be any space to walk behind them, or if one is against the wall, the other will be directly in front of the FP. But I'll check it.

msrose, we did add the beams to the end. You can see them in the very first picture.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

justgottobeme, where did you find those last chairs, and did you make slipcovers for the chairs in your ladies' tea room? I really like the shape and color of those.

Here's what nosoccermom's rooms would lay out in my room:

{{gwi:1877916}}

{{gwi:1877917}}

{{gwi:1877918}}

And a few others based on all the above:

{{gwi:1877919}}

{{gwi:1877921}}

{{gwi:1877923}}

{{gwi:1877925}}

This post was edited by marti8a on Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 21:02

• jackieblue
    10 years ago

Do the windows look right from the outside? Both sides of the room seem to be off kilter a little to me.

My first thought due to the size of the room is a couple of cozy chair and a halves or small scale loveseats facing each other, but maybe at an angle that flows with the traffic pattern. Perhaps with a large coffee table or ottoman between them. I think angling the arrangement might take some attention off the odd placement of the windows. On the opposite side of the room some sort of console as a bar, or heavy bookshelf for books on the longer side. On the shorter side an arrangement of plant stands/baskets in the corner area and maybe a small bench nearer the back wall door.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Would it look weird to have sheer or thin curtains that camouflage the uneven window placement? Like IKEA Nordis, Ferle, Borghild?

• geokid
    10 years ago

I think the L-shaped arrangements, either with two sofas/loveseats or a sofa and two chairs, look the best. You have a few iterations of them in your plans. I like the arrangement with the L-sofas and the chair in the corner by the fire.

Are you planning on having a TV in this room? Or is there another room you are going to stage as the TV room? The arrangement I like would provide a great place on the wall opposite the sofas for a TV.

As for the uneven windows, I agree with Annie: "To cheat the windows, get 2 side panels for each and arrange them so they both reveal the same amount of light in the middle. No one will realize that behind the drapes they are uneven. "

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jackieblue, the windows look fine from the outside. It helps that one is in the corner of an L and the other one on a longer wall. I'm not following your angled chairs or loveseat idea though.

I think nosoccermom and Annie are right about the curtains. I tried that when we first moved here and it didn't look good, but there was a light switch between the left window and fireplace then too. Now that it's gone, it should work. I'll worry about curtains once I get the big furniture figured out.

I like that plan too geokid. I'm not crazy about the path between the loveseats and little chair though. I don't think I'd be able to use a rug with that arrangement without having the corner of it in the way. And no, there won't be a tv in there.

So far I've found two red loveseats on craigslist, one yellow one, and one that looks to be light brown. And tons of old plaid and florals. I like the red ones, except that they are red and most staging I've seen is done with neutral colors.

• geokid
    10 years ago

If you don't need a place for the TV, then the other two L-configurations would work too. The other L with two loveseats or the L with the sofa and two chairs. Those two arrangements might be preferable since the traffic flow would be around the seating grouping, and not right through it.

If you find a nice sofa on CL, you can always get an inexpensive slipcover. Since it's just for staging, it should work fine.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Wow! Everything is looking so nice, it's too bad you're moving. The living room looks great with the beams. This might be more than you need for staging, but if you decide to live in it...this might be a possibility :)

Window seats on either side of the fireplace, with a hutch for display and storage on the left of the doorway and corner bookcases on the right. A loveseat and chair on the 'top' and two smaller chairs and table on the 'bottom'. This would be a great room to sit and visit, have tea, play chess, read a book and enjoy the fire. {{gwi:1877930}}From Kitchen plans

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I think two love seats and L shape may be your best configuration. Of course, then there's also a love seat with chaise option :)
    Can you find two IKEA Ektorp love seats on CL? Covers are usually very easy to come by.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks LL. I know what you mean. I finally love my home. But if we can sell it, now is the time both because the market has improved and we need to live in town to be closer to mil.

Nosoccermom, if I find another set of loveseats I'll look for slipcovers. The red ones are gone I guess; the posting has been deleted.

This post was edited by marti8a on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 16:16