Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snbtwins

What would you put here?

Snbtwins
10 years ago

I have a section in my new living room that I have no idea how to furnish. What do you suggest? I tried the chair and ottoman but they stuck out too far into the room. Should I try a chaise, or a chair or something else altogether? I'm stuck. Thanks!

Comments (37)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

You could do two smaller scale chairs, like Parsons chairs with a small table between them...or a tall bookcase or secretary...or a tall potted plant.

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

I would put the table that is in the entry hall with the little mirror(?) there. Or something like it and decorate it with a small lamp, a pretty bowl filled with whatever you like and a small picture frame.

What a nice place you have :)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Bookcase, or table, or dresser that can be used as a bar.

• rwhirley
    10 years ago

LOVE you living room!! How bought a tall plant in a nice planter?

• sergeantcuff
    10 years ago

I would put some sort of occasional table there. Something useful like a card, Pembroke or other sort of drop-leaf table that can be used for games, food, or jigsaw puzzles.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Single comfy chair with a standing lamp behind it and a small table ..... to create a "round" seating or conversation area ....much more cozy ....

• amykath
    10 years ago

I like sasafras's idea or teacats! Lovely room!

• christine1950
    10 years ago

The room is beautiful, I would put a plant stand there.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

a small bookcase

Love the view out the windows!

• theclose
    10 years ago

As PP's have suggested, either a large potted plant with an up light behind it or a table with pretties. Beautiful room!

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I would be tempted to play around with the furniture arrangement, thereby making it unnecessary to put anything there. Maybe turn the sofa 90 degrees and have it face the chair.

Or put the sofa where the chair is.

But if this is the best arrangement, how about a brass liquor cart?

Or a huge piece of wall art.

• Snbtwins
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all the suggestions and nice comments. I think I may try a chair and side table and lamp. Off to shop! Thanks again!

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

With another chair, table and lamp, you're likely to be cramming a lot of objects into what looks like a cozy (ok, tight) space. Would the person sitting there be just a bit too far from the main seating arrangement? It also doesn't look like it'd be a separate cozy reading space. Also, any furniture there is bound to stick into the traffic flow, and, really, not every spot in the house needs to have something in it -- sometimes empty space is good, to not have your eye always hitting on some object.

When you've had people over, do you find that they gravitate to that area and you lack enough seating? That'd probably be my only reason for adding another chair.

Here's another suggestion to have something there that warms up the area with the art: either moving your tall plant there, or getting one of the potted fake trees from Michaels and such, and string it with tiny lights. A friend has one in her dining room, and during last Thanksgiving, it gave off such a nice glow.

• jesshs
    10 years ago

I would do a bookcase.

• cran
    10 years ago

Hi all, I am lurker here and now that I am retired I am hoping to spend more time here. I would fill that corner with a small desk or a D shape occasional table with a Parsons chair tucked under it. I love Parsons chairs. It could easily be pulled further into the living room when needed. Pier One imports have them with a variety of slipcovers. I put a small plant, framed picture or books on the table with artwork over. I hope you post a pic whatever you decide.

• karen.iz
    10 years ago

I'd look for a secretary type desk and put that there; something tall. Everything in your LR, DR and foyer seem to be around the same height - it seems to need a piece that is taller in that spot to add some interest.

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

a child sized roll top desk

• jackieblue
    10 years ago

Not sure I would put anything on the floor there just to keep the room open and uncluttered looking. But I would try to find some large complimentary picture/painting/wall hanging for the longer wall. If you really want something there think about maybe a smallish floor to ceiling corner built in unit for books or displaying items.

• mom2sah
    10 years ago

I think a tall bookcase with a small scale chair would look very nice. If you entertain a lot, having a little chair in that corner will always come in handy.

• Sujafr
    10 years ago

I like to keep traffic flow out of the conversation grouping, and it looks like you might have room there to route traffic behind another smaller scale chair turned at right angles to the sofa so it is floating in the room on the rug with perhaps a very small table beside it. Then I'd increase the overall size of the wall hanging(s) on the wall where it jogs in there. If not enough room for that, then I'd probably use a plant or bookcase/desk as was already suggested or perhaps a small piano if you happen to need one.

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

Have you considered moving what I think is an electric fireplace? It would fit there leaving more room near the couch and chair? It looks a bit heavy on that side of the room. A book shelf would be a nice addition to the room.

• Snbtwins
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good morning. Again, lots of good suggestions.

I wasn't sure how a table would look since I have the console in the foyer area (see closer pictures of the space).

To be honest, I think the room will barely be used. On the other side of the foyer is a very large family room (that is a whole other post!) that we use to entertain in. We will be having built in bookshelves put in that room on either side of the fireplace, so not sure I need bookshelves in the living room also, but I agree that it would fill that space nicely.

pammyfay- I agree, the person sitting in that corner may not be close enough to the other furniture to be part of a conversation.

sujafr- I like the idea of putting a chair on the rug facing the fireplace, that could definitely work. I have a small leather chair I can put in the space to see how it would look size wise.

arcy- I have moved the fireplace around and this arrangement seems to make the most sense. It is a little tight by the chair, but I love how cozy it is.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, definitely some food for thought here. I will try moving my tall plant in the space for now to see how that looks also.

• Snbtwins
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, I moved the plant and put a small chair in the room (the chair wouldn't stay, it doesn't match). What do you think?

• Janice742
    10 years ago

Try moving the chest in your foyer to that space....

I don't think you want to repeat another wood piece of furniture there... it would seem redundant.

Plus, would keep the foyer open --

Then maybe add some more mirrors to the foyer wall... along with some artwork. You seem to enjoy collecting paintings - and I like how the mirror reflects the light in your entryway.

If you still want something in your entryway - then maybe a console table with some stools underneath...

Keep it light, though - so it doesn't compete with the chest in the next room....

Add a pretty lamp there too -
    And if you decide not to have a table in your foyer - put a nice lamp on the dresser... if you move it.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Yes -- a chair works VERY well in that position! And it does allow for a "round" conversation area ....

Yes -- it would interesting to try that chest in that area .... and you could add a lamp to that area too ...

How about trying a thin bench instead of a table in the hallway -- and hang the large rectangular mirror (now in your dining room) vertically over the bench ....

Try hanging an artwork in the dining room ....

• Janice742
    10 years ago

Didn't see that mirror there in the dining room. Brilliant idea!

[Industrial Entry[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/industrial-entryway-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_741~s_2113) by Chicago Interior Designers & Decorators jamesthomas, LLC

[Contemporary Entry[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-entryway-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_741~s_2103) by Burlington Architects & Designers Structured Creations Inc

...and then a great entry rug with a pattern to break up the solids....

• Sujafr
    10 years ago

I like a chair there, and had thought a small scale one would work in that spot, but that one may be a bit too small. I'd either pull it closer to the end table beside the sofa or put a little table with it to give it more presence and move it a bit the other way--plus add a throw or pillow with the chair. I love shopping my own home, but this may be one that just won't work with your existing sofa IMHO-- though nudging the location and adding accessories may change that. It would help to have others weigh in also.

I know many people frown on faux plants, and yours looks like it's real, but unfortunately to me, it also looks like it's a bit sparse (like it was at my house and I don't have a green thumb...). Maybe something a just a bit shorter and fuller. If you find one like that, you will likely need to move the wall hanging over to the right so it doesn't crowd the plant. If you have another painting that would go with the existing one, you could stack two in that space. Your room is very pretty.

• Jamesdavis
    10 years ago

Leave the space empty and do some creativity at the wall do collage work of your family pictures or friends, made it a photo corner of your home.

• bpath
    10 years ago

What about a BIG piece of artwork? Remember Monica's apartment on Friends? She had an advertising poster that really filled a space. Whatever it is, go big. You can still have the plant there to soften or transition the corner.

This one even picks up the pretty pattern in the rug :) Underneath you could have a very (very) low bench-sorta-thing for plants, decorative items, or candles.

• Janice742
    10 years ago

BP - That's a nice idea, too...

I think there are so many choices...

As far as the chair -- if I were to do one, I would consider a barrel swivel chair. An armless chair doesn't have the weight needed to balance out the other furniture in the room...

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

Snbtwins: The artwork in your second photo -- the piece leaning against the wall right now -- where is that going? It looks like it has the proportions to go in the area you're trying to fill.

I agree with BP: Scale up on your art, for some of the other walls, too. A scary commitment, I know -- choosing "the" piece, framing costs. But your space can handle it!

Do you have a Z Gallerie store in your area? It tends to have a lot of big art in stock, esp wrapped canvases.

• Snbtwins
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for the absence, I was so busy yesterday.

Okay, lots to digest here.

I have to admit that I love how the chest looks in the foyer. I feel like it gives the foyer presence. I will try to move it into the living room to see how it looks there though. The bench with the mirror hanging above would look nice.

I have the mirror on the floor in the dining room because I thought I would hang it above a buffet (once I can afford one). As far as the big painting in the corner of the LR, I can't figure out where to put that. In the old house it hung above my couch. I'm thinking of maybe hanging it above my bed now. It seemed too large for the corner space in the LR.

I do have a lot of other paintings (mostly smaller ones) that I have to figure out where to hang. I'm so scared of making holes in my newly painted walls that I am having huge commitment issues!! It is so hard to decide what to put where and I tend to change my mind a lot ;)

As far as the plant, I agree it is looking pretty sparse. It went into shock when we moved, I am trying to coax it back, it may take awhile though.

Another question, do you think the painting is too small for over the fireplace? I also have these ceramic candleholders, would they look good on either side of the painting?

{{!gwi}}

Also, do you envision curtains or roman shades for this room? If we were in there at night, I would close whatever was there for privacy from the street.

Thanks!

• vera11
    10 years ago

no ones mentioned the plant..its looking very tall and not much foliage on it..i'd scrap it for a new full plant in a larger pot.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

The artwork that is leaning against the wall near the end of the sofa looks like it would be the right size to fit on the wall next to where you put the plant. I love your small paintings and I think they'd have more impact if you stacked three of them or had them side by side.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I would get a chair and a small table with a lamp on it to make a reading nook. The lamp would help light the corner and the chair can be used as part of the conversational cluster if you have company. And you can still have a picture on the wall, but it won't need to be so large as the visible wall space will be smaller. A chair should fit, just one that is not so large like the one in the other corner.

• Snbtwins
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi everyone. I thought I would update you on my corner. I may replace the chair in the future if something catches my eye. I like the way this looks though, it feels cozy. I still need window treatments and I will be replacing the tree with a healthier one. Thanks for all the suggestions!

• erinsean
    10 years ago

I like it....but could you pull the plant/table out a little farther?....maybe four or six inches.....doesn't have to be so close to the corner. Or put your chair flat against the wall...either.