Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maui9603

Eggplant, great to eat, never thought I would paint with it!

I figured I would start a new thread as opposed to my other 2 rambling posts on my dining room saga. Thanks to everyone who is hanging in there with me. so I went to benjamin moore today to get some add'l samples to show my husband with the eggplant. They had the large samples for $4, this was the only color they had in this size. It is deep purple. I also picked up vintage wine, chambourd and caponata and incense stick. I couldn't find a sample card of the velvet cloak. Here is a quick pic of the furniture, it was moved to in preparation for paint, it's against the edgecomb gray wall which will be the hallway color. I tried to get a pic of the floor with it. Sooo, what do you think. The lighting is horrible in this room right now as all the lamps are disconnected, etc. but hopefully you get the idea.

I think I would like an even darker shade, that has more gray in it, if I go this direction. Thanks for the inspiration Bee!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (47)

• Christie Santercangelo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You can see the dining room down the hall on the right. Everything below the chair rail will be white.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Yay.

You know I tried Dark Purple and Black Raspberry. I didn't want the room to shout "Purple" when someone came in, but I wanted them to know it was purple when they went in to investigate. Neither of the 2 I tried were doing it for me. That's how I ended up with the Velvet Cloak. You could tell it was a deep purple when you look at it, especially if there is any black in the room. (I have a black lampshade and the horse has black in it on the wall). Everyone who has come into the room, either to visit the house, or to have dinner is in love with the color. I just had the kitchen shot for a magazine and the photographer loved it too. In fact he asked if I might be interested in a full house photo shoot for next fall. (Talk about motivation to get the house done).

The Velvet Cloak cannot be purchased in a sample size, but you can get it in a quart. But at $25 or so for a quart, and $60 for a gallon, I just trusted my gut and went for the gallon. It's scary when they mix it up and you look at the can, it is the color of Welch's grape juice.

Here's a little reminder of the Velvet Cloak.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

I would go with a darker and less reddish color.

Here is a link that might be useful: other eggplant rooms

• Christie Santercangelo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Bee, that color is beautiful. I wish they even had a sample card at my store, but they didn't. I picked up that sample board and I knew that it was going to be too purple but wanted to get a really good idea how the furniture would look with it. My husband isn't too keen on the idea in fact right now, he's not really talking to me. lol. I exhausted him with all of this. Especially since he already bought the revere pewter. He was so excited to surprise me and then I'm my usually indecisive self. I have to pick something tonight as he will need to pick it up first thing tomorrow.

Thanks nosoccermom (love the name btw). There are some gorgeous pictures. Any suggestions on a color I can try. I have the sherwin williams deck here so that is a plus but have a bunch of the benjamin moore cards but seems like there are many more they didn't carry in my store.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Yes, now you are getting it. See how the darker color is just a beautiful backdrop for your hutch. It really sets the hutch off giving your furniture permission to take center stage. There are tons of colors that would work but you need to at least go a somewhat darker than the R Pewter. Look at what darker colors you have in a jointing rooms to pull from.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I wasn't happy with any of the BM colors so I went to HD and had them mix a Martha stewart purple mulberry which was just the shade I wanted...I liked it so much, I've since done the coffers in the hallway ceiling.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Hi, here are the Behr colors I suggested in your other thread. These look real nice with the dining set and RP. Although I LOVE Bee's color I do not think it right for your room and style. To me it needs to be grayed down a bit like these.

Creek Bend -

Amazon stone -

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I like them both but am really digging the Amazon Stone!

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

What color is your furniture? I can't figure it out. It almost looks peach to me.

Whatever it is I have to say, I don't think it looks right next to grey or eggplant. I am certainly no decorator though, so keep my opinion in perspective.

One thing I am sure about is that I would not be trying to make such a big decision under such pressure. Is there ANY way you can buy some more time?

either grey or eggplant are complimenting it.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Please ignore my last line above. It should have been deleted when I edited the post.

• Christie Santercangelo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I just want to cry. The furniture is very difficult with the pinkish peachish color to it. I agree I should go darker then the revere pewter. I love browns and earth tones. This will be joined with an edgecomb gray hallway. I'm so lost. I hate making decisions this quickly. My husband is very impulsive. We had his aunt come in to do our powder room wallpaper. Then that turned into painting the entire first floor. Almost everything was just primer from when we gutted the house. I would love to hear any other suggestions. I have the sherwin Williams deck and a decent selection of BM samples. Thanks again

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Go with the Creek Bend and start painting. I love the Amazon Stone but it might be too much of a shock for you if you are not used to darker colors. I promise it will work!

• bostonpam
    11 years ago

Nothing to add but watching which one you will pick. I was going to go with Confederate Red for my DR but after painting another room navy I want a darker color than red. Eggplant is my choice for my DR. Now to find which one...

My DR has views to the sitting room (soft pumpkin and creamy orange), office (Harrisburg green) and kitchen (Hawthorne yellow) and a glimpse of the half bath (blue lapis). I need a eggplant that can play together with the other colors.

• geokid
    11 years ago

angel, have you checked BM's website? It suggests Edgecomb Gray with Squirrel Tail or Appalachian Brown. The Appalachian Brown may be a beautiful, rich choice.

Another thought is to go a darker shade of Edgecomb Gray. Aged Bronze maybe?

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Edgecomb Gray Website

• geokid
    11 years ago

bostonpam, sounds like a brown eggplant would work for you. Mississippi Mud? Or Caponata?

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I think that Deep Purple has too much red. You need to move towards something with more blue or gray or go the browns, but again, with some blue -- which with the yellow in a brown will be the greenish tint.

I found a photo of a room with incense stick When I looked at the BM website, I thought this might have too much red for your room. It doesn't look as red here.

Sounds like you may not have been able to see the colors I mentioned in your other thread, I found them inthe colour gallery on the BM website, but I'll try to find something in each of them.

This is plum martini -- darker, but has some definite grey to it.

This is Night Shade, which has more brown to it.

This is Carbon Copy, which is a charcoal with purple undertones

I went to Behr's website and looked at Creek Bend and Amazon Stone that jterrilynn has suggested. They work too. I am not very familiar with many SW colors, but look at these and the Behr ones suggested. You can search the names on the company websites or google the color name plus the company name and see if you can find photos of painted rooms. These are going in a similar directions -- just a question of how much purple and how much gray. These colors will compliment your furniture and not be as PURPLE as some others that could keep your DH not speaking to you even longer. You may not want to go that far. ;-)

If you want more purple, something like Bee's Velvet Cloak is so rich without looking like you got lost in a grape bubble gum factory. Just make sure you don't go to a red purple.

Squirrel tail goes in another direction.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Did you see this picture of a dining room with peach furniture and a version of eggplant walls?

https://www.houzz.com/photos/classic-living-traditional-dining-room-new-york-phvw-vp~71810-Living-traditional-dining-room-new-york

Do you like that room? Personally, I don't like purple with the peach at all, but if you do, by all means go for it!

I don't think your pastel furniture is going to look nice against white lower walls with very dark upper walls. There, I said it!
    I looked for pictures of rooms that had peach in them. The peach was usually paired with grayish green, grayish blue, or just grey. Here is a green, a blue, and three shades of grey:

Greyish Green with peach furniture

https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-transitional-living-room-san-francisco-phvw-vp~214238-contemporary-living-room-san-francisco

Greyish Blue with peach

https://www.houzz.com/photos/violets-nursery-contemporary-nursery-philadelphia-phvw-vp~240430-s-Nursery-contemporary-kids-philadelphia

Peach against light Grey

https://www.houzz.com/photos/living-room-transitional-living-room-los-angeles-phvw-vp~1026762-Room-traditional-living-room-los-angeles

Benjamine Moore River Reflections (med. Grey) walls w/some peach/pink accents

https://www.houzz.com/photos/parkwood-road-residence-office-traditional-home-office-minneapolis-phvw-vp~333144-Room-and-Office-traditional-home-office-minneapolis

Peach wood against dark Grey (almost black)

https://www.houzz.com/photos/reflecting-room-asian-living-room-san-francisco-phvw-vp~43849-room-eclectic-living-room-other-metros

Looking at these rooms, I don't really think the intensity of the wall color is going to have a huge affect on how your furniture looks. I think you should choose the level of intensity according to what looks pretty to you. There are plenty of ways to add color to a dining room without putting it on the walls. In fact, a neutral wall color allows you to change the entire look of the room simply by changing a few accessories.

I feel so sorry for you having to make this big decision under pressure. As others have said, it should be an easy area to repaint, so don't stress over it too much!

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I don't care for that combination either. I don't know that I'd like that wall color anyway, but that is a muddy, rosy purple. That's the direction I have suggested staying away from.

If you aren't ready to pick a color, maybe you shouldn't. .

• msrose
    11 years ago

I really like Beekeeperswife's Velvet Cloak!

• Christie Santercangelo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I woke up this morning hoping the painting fairy had visited and picked the most perfect color for my dining room. No such luck ;)

Thank you to each of you for continuing to offer suggestions. Cindy, those pictures were so very helpful. that first once is almost identical to my furniture and I got to say, I don't like the combo at all. In fact, the point you made about the white on the bottom with a deep rich color is what keep waying on my mind. Of the photos you posted, I really like the river reflections color. To me it looks like a gray brown, does this seem right? I am going to see if I can snag a sample card of that and the behr ones mentioned above (thanks jterrilynn).

lacatx, you've been such a big help and I appreciate you staying with me :) I think I am going to play it more conservative since this furniture is so tricky and really have fun with window treatments and rugs. What do you think of the river reflections? will it work with edgecomb? we got the revere pewter darkened 25% but I don't think it's still right, plus he bought another gallon of it! Not sure why, smh!I think I'll be happiest with a gray/brown taupe type color.

I'm so lost and confused, sooo not fun anymore!

• lascatx
    11 years ago

You know, picking colors on a computer screen is like throwing darts at the yellow pages to find a doctor. What you see and what I see may not be the same thing adn it gets harder from there.

I didn't look at all the links above -- I was too tired to copy and paste each one last night. But I went to River Reflections there and on the BM website. I like River Reflections -- nice color, but when I looked at similar colors, I found Willow Creek -- just a little more grey and less pink to it. Take a look at that. Similar feel, but I think the color is a bit better. It also goes well with the muted purple and charcoal tones like plum martini and carbon copy

I know you are stressed, but seriously, changing the color is an easy weekend project -- one day even for half a wall if you have DH to help you tape the edges. This is one of the easier rooms to paint -- no cabinets, not wall to wall bookcases to unload and move, no electronics to pack up, no cabinets to paint around. And no color here is permanent. You can change this if you don't like it, but give a new color a chance. It could become your favorite room.

Went looking for a room painted in Willow Creek. This dining room is willow creek. The living room is baltic grey.

By the way, what I have been doing to look at colors with your furniture is to put them on split screens and have them next to each other. Use the box next to the X you use to close a screen to reduce it and use another window next to it. On my screen, I can pull a tab over to create a separate screen when I have multiple pages open. Hope that helps.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Looking at the entire thread again, for a safer, more neutral choice, I think a creek is in your future. Try Behr's Creek Bend or BM's Willow Creek. No purple, and I think you and DH will be more comfortable with those. Both are in the grey/beige family -- not too light and not too dark, not too rosy. When you are done, you can stick and eggplant on the table, think of all of us crazy color people and then carry it back to the kitchen. ;-)

Sorry if we have added to your stress, but I hope we have helped in the long run. Purples are popular now, especially for dining rooms, but they are not colors everyone is comfortable with, especially greeting guests so near the front door. Don't feel bad about it. You are probably in the majority. What matter is looking at options and picking what makes you feel at home.

Let us know how it goes.

• Christie Santercangelo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks lascatx, you have been such a tremendous help. The people here are fantastic and while it is stressful because everyone has different tastes, I love to get many perspectives and then I can go with the one that looks best to me. I am going to grab both of those samples at lunch! I'll keep you posted.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Of the pictures I posted, comparing blue/grey, green/grey, and a light, medium and dark grey, the one I liked best with peach was the medium grey (the river reflections). But I am only comparing the intensities of each color against the white and the peach. I haven't looked at all the possible greys to see which undertone I might like best. I just know that the lighter grey can look a bit dingy, the medium grey makes a clear statement, and the darker grey would be way too much for me.

If I were choosing between the willow creek or the baltic grey I'd probably opt for the baltic, but then I have an aversion to dark rooms so I would never choose anything much darker than that baltic grey. The darker colors are very much in style right now, I just could not use them!

I think anything you pick in a medium grey is going to be beautiful and leave you with a million options for your accessories. It will be so nice when changing colors for each season!

You should also know that I have not seen any photos of the entire room, because I can't find your original thread! I can't wait to see your painted room!

• Christie Santercangelo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Cindyloo! There weren't many pictures in my original thread, just the floor and furniture. My husband had our painter test one coat of the revere pewter @150% when I was at work. He was hoping it would give me a better visual of the space.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• lascatx
    11 years ago

They went darker by intensifying the color but didn't grey it down any. It's better, but still lacks the softer feel of the grey with less peach (yellow and red/brown)

I'll try to show you how I see the difference between your 150% RP and the willow creek (becasue I remembered that name). It looks more similar in the wider shot but you see more difference in the close up.
    {{!gwi}}

Is DH loving it? Are you? If so, then put on the second coat and be happy with it. Or at least live with it a while. If you aren't loving it, take what is left to BM and have them figure out the difference in the color formulas between RP 150% and what you would like it to be. See if they can adjust the color to one like the one you like best. You may have to add some white -- maybe buy a quart.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

The color on your post is magnificent!!! I find it gives the DR a look of sophistication as well as being very luxurious with the furniture. It's so eye catching with the white.

While the eggplant may have been nice, I can't imagine it having the impact as this color has.

A large bouquet of white flowers on the table and I would call it done! ;o)

• Christie Santercangelo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! Thanks Patty! My husband really likes it and I do too. I just have so many other colors in my head but I think we are getting closer. The eggplant is such a pretty color, I just don't think it's 'us'.

Lacatx - I can see what you mean from your screen shots. I took a couple pictures with the other samples against the RP wall. We have a gallon left of RP to do the 2nd coat. However, I can use that elsewhere in the house if I find something else I like better. Hubby in a much better mood today!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I like this waynesboro taupe as well but I think it's pretty close.

{{!gwi}}

• deeinohio
    11 years ago

I love it! But I am very partial to neutrals and find intense colors impossible to live with (for me).

Your beautiful chandelier makes me wish I had more tolerance for cleaning crystal as well.:)

Dee

• Christie Santercangelo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Dee! It sure is a pain o clean and in dire need of a thorough one when this is all done. But, I love the sparkle :)

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

Paint the furniture is the bit more effort solution. It's pink is the element that is sabotaging you here. A pure white, or a light grey would be perfect. Then you can pretty much pick any purple that you like and it will work.

• maju785
    11 years ago

I can suggest a color sherwilliams mink, workd great with white or wood . I am curretly using it to redo my dining room.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

How about one of these?

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Angel, I like the color because it's a warm neutral, not a cool. Some of the others posted are cool based, which will give a coldness to the room.

As for the furniture, IMO, it works and until the time comes when you want to replace it(or paint it)it flatters the paint color, rather than detract.

I originally thought the eggplant would be pretty, but i'm reneging on that. ;o)

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

I like the current wall color a lot! As I said before, I can only see which level of intensity I like and of course I can see what I think of a particular base color in a room. But I can't comment on the shade to shade differences by looking at them on the PC.

In that post above where lascatx shows us your wall color next to a close up of the same color, I can hardly believe I am looking at the same paint in both shots!

I do think the grey tones down the peachiness of your furniture. I am looking forward to seeing the room completely painted and put back together!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Between the RP that's on the walls the new gray/taupe colors you're looking at is splitting hairs. Honestly don't think the leap from RP to a River Reflections is going to be that huge. Personally, I'd finish with the RP and move on. But not my house. ;)

• jerseygirl_1
    11 years ago

I have Waynesboro Taupe in my house at 50% for the LR and DR which open to each other and 25% for the 2nd floor hall. It's definitely a grayish brown taupe which was our goal. The 25% dilution is a little more gray. Both beautiful colors. We get a lot of commpliments.

If you have a lot oflight, full strength will work fine. You can Google Images to see examples of rooms. Full stength was a little too dark for our rooms since we only have one 72x72 window in the LR. Our home is an interior TH. Our small entry is painted teal. If I can get some decent light this afternoon, I will take some pictures.

You can use eggplant acessories. We have an accent pillow on our sofa in an eggplant paisley. Looks great with the scheme of things.

• msrose
    11 years ago

I love it!!! Like patty_cakes said, I like that it's a warm neutral instead of a cool. Your husband likes it, you like it, and it's a popular color (for a reason), so I say go for it!

• Christie Santercangelo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the vote of confidence! lascatx and jterrilynn, thank you so much for putting the time to create those mock ups. jterrilynn, I got the strip from behr yesterday. It's definitely darker then what we have up now. very pretty color.

I do really like the RP, especially this morning as we actually have a little sun poking through. It's amazing how much this color changes throughout the day.

funcolors, I'm glad you chimed back in from the other post. I was thinking the same thing that the others are so close to each other, but wasn't sure if it was just my untrained eye. My husband came in with all the other samples pinned up and said, do you really think we need to spend another $120+ for that small of a difference.

We will finish it up on Monday/Tuesday as we have to replace the baseboards and then I'll post another pic. I'll need suggestions for window treatments at that time ;)

Love this board, you are all so very helpful!

• caminnc
    11 years ago

Looks great, can't wait to see more pictures.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Taking the RP to 150% definitely helped. It gave more contrast, and the ultimate test to whether it works is your eye in the room with it. There are so many electronic readings of that color that happen between your photo and my eye, much less coming back to you that it is hard to know if we are seeing the same color. I don't think I would have started over with paint if I felt pretty good about the first coat. I might have gone back to the store and had them add a tiny bit of black and then added some white if needed to grey it up a bit without getting too dark, but I'm a nit picker when it comes to color and I know it. I have sat and mixed other paints into my wall paint to make one wall not look like a totally different color because of the light. No one has ever noticed, but it would have bugged me for years now if I hadn't. At least I know that room is weird when I go to repaint it in the not too distant future. LOL

• beache
    11 years ago

I just discovered this thread and wanted to chime in about the furniture. I have pieces from the exact same Bernhardt line in my bedroom. Although it may read as pinkish here, it is actually rather yellowish in person. The wood is pecan. I need to paint my bedroom soon so will watch with interest when the room is put together.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I think the last picture you posted looks gorgeous. I think you can add any other color you want in fabrics and table accessories. Curtains, tablecloth, dishes (just add some ones with eggplant mixed in with white), napkins, etc. I think it looks great.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

My last post is why I shouldn't try to type, talk and check on what DH is doing all at the same time. Rattle, rattle.....

I was surprised to see the color strips in your photos, because they weren't looking they way I thought they would --although that close up it's hard to have any perspective. It did start to become splitting hairs, and there is no way for us to accurately judge that on a computer screen. I am even noticing that it looks different on my monitor at different times of the day. The more I look at it the more I like it. Knowing the wood is natural pecan helps. Hope you have remained happy with it as you have watched through the daylight and dark over the weekend.

• Christie Santercangelo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lacatx, you crack me up! It definitely is better in person I think that is reflective on the computer, especially the one close up that you did the split screen with. Thank you so much for all of your help. The 2nd coat was going on as of 8 am this morning. once the room is back together, I'll post pics.

Thanks beekeepers, I love your velvet cloak but for us I think the neutral walls and some great accessories will work better.

Beache - glad to find someone else who has this type of furniture. I still see some pink/peach hues but others definitely see more yellow in person. good to know the type of wood. That would have made it alot easier to google for images instead of pink furniture, lol!

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

It looks gorgeous. I was just thinking if you really want to do something "dramatic", maybe change the fabric on the chairs to something graphic, like Ikat, links, zigzag.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikat

• patricianat
    11 years ago

Love the eggplant. I saw a decorator's kitchen, breakfast room done in it and decided I wanted it. Incidentally, her kitchen was as big as my GR and DR combined. It is a fabulous color. All my friends told me I was crazy to use it, even the painter said that and after it was done, they were "nuts" for it and happy that I did not take their advice.