Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lemonlime_gw

For all of you CL buyers

lemonlime
10 years ago

Some of you have made some great finds lately!

There's a bed frame listed in my local CL that I can't stop looking at -- I love it, and the price is good.

What I'm wondering is...how to look for bedbugs. Should I worry about that? It's a solid wood bed frame, but from what I understand bedbugs can and do get into wooden furniture. It is *only* the wooden frame, just to be clear.

We are fairly new to the area so I'm not sure if they're a problem here. Am I just being silly? The bed is perfect otherwise.

Comments (11)

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Its a chance you take.

Brand new furniture can have bedbugs, as can clothing from major department stores.

Personally, I wouldn't be concerned about them.

ML

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Hmm, never occurred to me. I personally would not buy something from a "bad" neighborhood, but I know bedbugs can be anywhere.

But see the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: same question you have

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

What is a "bad neighborhood" ? And how do you tell based on a CL ad?

• lascatx
    10 years ago

If you have any concern, I'd leave it outside and isolate it until you can be sure it is clean.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Pesky, that's the reason for the quotes. It's not exactly an objective term. But who doesn't know of places in their orbit in which they feel less comfortable, for whatever reasons?

Personally, I would hesitate to go to a stranger's house if it were in a neighborhood I was not both familiar with and comfortable in.

• lemonlime
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wouldn't go anywhere alone, my husband would be accompanying me.

It's in a nice enough neighborhood and the "surroundings" in the photos look nice enough, but as others have said, that's essentially meaningless.

Lascatx, I could leave it outside. My google research says they die if exposed to below freezing temps for one to two weeks.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I know they sell cleaner for bedbugs, of course leave it in a cold place for a while and you'd be all set.

• romy718
    10 years ago

You could also enclose it in plastic & any bedbugs will die. Enclose it in plastic & leave it outside.

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

Yep, easy fix now that winter is upon is..kill 'em with neglect. Do the eggs die from freezing? Mosquito eggs and slug eggs do not....

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

From the EPA:
    "While freezing can kill bed bugs, temperatures must remain very low for a long time. Home freezers are usually not cold enough to kill bed bugs. Putting things outside in freezing temperatures can kill bed bugs, but it can take several days when the temperature is 0ð F and almost a week when the temperature is 20ð F."

Someone else suggested to ask the seller point blank: "Do you have bed bugs while looking them in the eye."

I'd also say it may not be only a question of "nice" neighborhood but also of region in the country.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    10 years ago

You could drop it off in Wisconsin for awhile, and it will be freeze dried in no time! LOL!