Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniem100

Granite Fireplace Surround - Wall Color Help Needed

AnnieM100
10 years ago

Hi there! Working on remodeling my Great Room and have installed a Blue Louise Granite fireplace surround. The room is coming together, the tile will be installed soon (there is a sample by the hearth).

I am questioning whether I should change the color of the wall where the fireplace is to enhance the Blue Louise. Suggestions please...the walls are currently painted in Dunn Edwards Pale Beach (eggshell). Adjacent to the fireplace will be a 40 inch flat screen TV that will be installed. Thanks!

Comments (19)

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I'm terrible at choosing paint colors, but here's a pic from houzz.com showing BL Granite with a warm gold.

[Mediterranean Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/mediterranean-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2109) by Miami Interior Designers & Decorators Causa Design Group

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Is that a brown tile next to the fireplace, for the floor?

I think a warm gold with that brown on the floor would be striking. The granite is gorgeous! I'm anxious to see how you are going to arrange furniture in there too as it looks a lot like the living room I am struggling with now.

• AnnieM100
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, yes the brown tile is for the floor - I will be at the house this weekend and will take a pic as the flooring should be complete.

I like the idea of a warm gold thanks! - I set up an appt with a Dunn Edwards consultant to select a color. Attached is a 3D that my designer provided early on in the project. However, since then, I decided not to put the TV over the fireplace and moved it to the side. So will likely keep the furniture in the same location, and add a chaise - so a three sectional U shaped couch???? Please note that the colors have changed since the 3D was designed.

• Cloud Swift
    10 years ago

Lovely stone.

We did a white paint with similar blues in our Azul do Mar fireplace surround. White reflects light onto the blue and white in the stone. The rug, furniture and window coverings can then bring in color.

To my eye, all that gold in the houzz picture washes out the blue in the stone - though perhaps it is the lighting or slabs of Blue Louise with less blue to begin with.

BTW, Blue Louise and Azul do Mar are actually quartzites - not granite.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Just for fun, I took a pic of blue louise and put it through the color palette fx to generate a palette for you. You may find a color you like here.

You may also want to take a closer pic of your actual granite and do it again...the shades may come out differently.

I love the dark blue on the left and if you painted just the fp wall, it would make the granite pop nicely and the TV would blend in to the wall more. I'd go with a lighter color in the rest of the room. I like the soft beige...5th in from the right. The 3rd from the right looks a lot like your tile floor.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Thank you for the design picture Annie. I hadn't considered a sectional before.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

great stone!
    i think i also would be tempted to try a med-ish- or dark blue as in your stone and then go pretty neutral with furniture, rug, etc... but i would choose a color so your fireplace still was the focal point!
    if i didn't like the blue, i would probably go with a tan, but a bit deeper than what you currently have...

• AnnieM100
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone, I am learning so much! I am definitely leaning towards the darker, deeper tan (rust color maybe) and now thinking of blue too.

Annie D where do I find that color palette tool? Thanks!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Color palette fx linked below

Here is a link that might be useful: color palette fx

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Here is your room with ppg fragrant cloves and candlelit beige

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Here is your room with ppg mountain lake and soft suede

• AnnieM100
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie D, thank you very much! These colors are stunning. I am leaning to the candlelit beige because it will go with the colors in the Great Room/Kitchen - I will be able to get to the house this weekend and will take a better picture of the view of the whole room (it is long and blends into the kitchen). Thanks again, this is great - and the blue pops!

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I just want to say that is a gorgeous piece of stone, and makes a beautiful FP surround.
    Looking at the pics Annie photoshopped, I prefer the contrast of the bronze or maybe a paler blue. I think the really deep blue washes out the stone a bit.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I like the third and fourth from the right hand side in the suggestions Annie gave you. I feel the tan or brown tones allow the fireplace to be the star and the wall takes a second seat.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I tried the light blue and I didn't think it looked good.

The program I used to color the room is actually fairly simple to use...it's free on the pittsburgh paint site.

• Cloud Swift
    10 years ago

I'd recommend staying away from the blue. We tried some blues with our stone. In the kitchen we had a light blue on the small wall area around the sink window and it was much better when we repainted to white. The stone has so many blues. Also the color of blue from the stone changes in a different way with light than the paint color does. That makes it really difficult to find a blue that goes with and enhances the stone. The blue paint just seemed to by trying to hard to match and not succeeding.

On the other hand, the Fragrant Cloves warm reddish brown works well with the blues and references the rust tones in the stone. That is similar to the effect that we get with the natural cherry cabinets around our stone.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Maybe this one?

With a dark brown leather sectional -- and a great rich Persian rug with lots of those brown-red, deep blues and persimmon colors ....

Maybe one of those great round coffee tables ....

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Coffeehouse chocolate CW-165

• AnnieM100
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Annie D, I made a mistake, I meant I am leaning towards the fragrant cloves as the accent wall, not the beige. I hope that I can retain my current Dunn Edwards Pale Beach color (because it is new) and only change the accent wall color. Thanks!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

The wall color that is on there is so neutral, there really isn't any need to change it.