Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd

Post Your Christmas Trees Please!

ttodd
9 years ago

We got our live tree yesterday. As usual I was afflicted by my inability to gauge height. In the past I've learned to overcome it but I'm not quite sure what happened this year.

My disclaimer that I know my curtain rod is bent (weight of curtain) and the picture is by no means made to be pretty w/ staging and special filters or 'just the right light'.

I saw the beauty in my super model tree and rolled w/ it.

I'm happy the family went along w/ it and has a sense of humor about our too tall tree.

DS1 came up w/ the 'scheme' for this year. He wanted a tree decorated in blue and red so I said sure & drug up all of the ornaments that I've accumulated over the years when I was obsessive compulsive and dictator like about my tree and always had a theme. It was a really nice time w/ him. I let him take control of the whole shebang and offered suggestions here and there, some of which he took & some of which he nixed. DS1 is very mathematical and I wasn't sure how the tree would look but as I watched him he put ornaments deep in the tree to fill spaces and others on tips to create a layered effect. I let him hang antique ornaments for the first time and let him direct me. I am artistic and as I said he is mathematical so we usually butt heads on a regular basis but not today.

Over the years I've read so many of your comments about taking the time to reminisce (sp?) over the ornaments and the special stories and I've learned to let go because of that and remember my childhood decorating w/ my Mom. This year DS1 & I just had the nicest time together decorating our Too Tall Tree so Thank You!

This post was edited by TheFoxesPad on Mon, Dec 1, 14 at 5:34

Comments (150)

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Poor thing has had one too many falls since I bought him in a "dent sale" after Christmas one year. I knocked him down myself after the stuffed animal incident.

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

scott_madison, put an eye screw in the ceiling and tie a piece of fish line to the top of the tree and the eye screw. Kitty proof. at least it won't tip over. Broken ornaments are still likely.

• lionors
    9 years ago

arcy! I made the same tree skirt and used mostly the same fabrics, I think!

{{gwi:2140410}}

{{gwi:2140411}}

• amykath
    9 years ago

Wow! What gorgeous trees and homes. I love all of the pets dressed in holiday spirit! We have no Christmas tree this year as we are moving out of a rental and into another while our home is being built. We will spend ours in my favorite city of New Orleans. I am sure I will see some fab Christmas trees there.

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

Very beautiful and so creative! Lots of great Christmas ideas here. I have to admit, I just love LynninNewMexico's tree..... lovely!

Here is our tree. It's the same a last year's but with a few new dragonflys and birds. I found the "Snow Owls" at the dollar store and got the new dragonflys at the local garden swap. Thanks so much.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

How cute is that! :)

• Sheeisback_GW
    9 years ago

Rt - Every time I see your cool tree I'm reminded to go find Rodney Reindeer in my attic! I must dig him out!

Jackson - Your home, from what I can see, looks very pretty. I love your fireplace!

Newhomebuilder - Oh, that goose picture!! Can you please tell me about that? I love it! Also love your dog lamp in the kitchen! Your house is just pretty!

Loving seeing all the pets! Coll - Your little buddy not wanting to wear the hat made me laugh.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

OK, even tho I'm in desperate need of a class in "Christmas Tree Ribbon 101", I'll post my tree. Maybe DH will take pity on me and redo the ribbon this weekend :) That's all I added to it. It came with lights, snow and ice (that you can't see) red berries and pine cones. No topper yet. We've had a glass snowman for years but this tree isn't big enough for him to safely fit.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Edited for yet another duplicate. GW is having major hiccups

This post was edited by monicakm on Tue, Dec 16, 14 at 2:43

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Little tree in the dining room.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Sunnysa, your snowman tree is the cutest and most delightful tree! Every tree shown is just magical in it's own way, and I have loved reading the stories behind every one.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

"Newhomebuilder - Oh, that goose picture!! Can you please tell me about that? I love it! Also love your dog lamp in the kitchen! Your house is just pretty!"

Thank you for the kind words.

The dog lamp was purchased for $5 at a friends garage sale. I never understood why she was getting rid of it. Not only that, but I came in at the tail end of the sale and it was there waiting on me. :)

The goose is a Buckley Moss. My photo doesn't show that well, but the framed piece is about 45" long. Large heavy piece/artist proof that we bought already framed with artist signature on the glass. The thick leather frame sealed the deal for us. We bought it from a local art gallery. The owner is friends with BM and my dear artist MIL was also a BM fan.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Sentry

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    9 years ago

Tracieb - can you tell us more about the three small trees on the desk in front of the window? What are they made out of? Very nice.

Skibby

• Sheeisback_GW
    9 years ago

Newhomebuilder - Thank you for the close up shot and info.! The frame looks really great on that. Thanks again!

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Finally finished putting the last ornaments on the tree the other night (and then bought three new ones on Sunday!) and took some pics today:

{{gwi:2140412}}

And here's our Menorah set-up for tomorrow night (the second night of Chanukah):

{{gwi:2140413}}

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Lotsa ornaments is what I love : )
    {{gwi:2140414}}
    We also collect from our vacations and our annual ornament exchange from colleagues
    {{gwi:2140415}}
    {{gwi:2140416}}
    {{gwi:2140417}}

• lucillle
    9 years ago

I have a 3-4 foot Norfolk pine which is decorated. I also bought a LED tree, it's hard to see but the individual lights have little blossoms (like a cherry tree) and I decided I liked it bare, with no ornaments.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Lucille, when we were looking for a little Norfolk pine, we did see some that were about 3 feet tall. I wasn't sure if I could keep it growing....I do have a number of plants and all are thriving and healthy but I don't have experience with NP. So we bought the little table-top guy. I'm hoping they're easy to grow, I know they are slow-growing. Do you find it easy enough?

• lucillle
    9 years ago

I have in the past had Norfolk pines and they were easy to keep but did not do well after being planted in the ground after several years, I forget exactly why.
    This one is going to stay potted but go outside in the spring and come back in next winter and get repotted periodically.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Thanks Lucille, Mine is a houseplant and will stay that way, with possibly a summer vacation outside on the balcony.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Everyone's trees and stories are beautiful. Loved seeing them all. Merry Christmas!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

deleted by gr8day

This post was edited by gr8day on Wed, Dec 24, 14 at 9:37

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

After looking at all of these perfectly beautiful trees, I thought I'd provide a little comic relief with our free-range tree. Last year, we bought a B&B tree, which we planted after the holidays, and it is doing fine. Having blown 2 years worth of Christmas tree budget, we opted to cut down one of the scruffy Virginia pines that grow like weeds around here in SC. Since we are still building our home, there is only one box of ornaments available, so the decorations are a bit sparse. Still, it is a unique tree!

{{gwi:2137551}}

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Mushcreek, now, THAT is a wonderful tree! How could anyone look at that and not smile and think it is beautiful?! I think it is my favorite. Seriously.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I like it too, Mushcreek...it has lots of movement and is very organic. Think of how many people obsess about having the perfect shaped tree with no weird flat spots or off center branches for the topper. It's great.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

What Mushcreek said! It made me smile ðÂÂÂ

edit...what cyn427 said, not mushcreek!

This post was edited by monicakm on Mon, Dec 22, 14 at 0:14

• gardenpea_gw
    9 years ago

Love looking at all the different trees. This is a long shot, but, rtwilliams or anyone else, DD is looking for a similar gray patterned rug like the one in your FR/LR where your tree is. Do you mind telling me the brand and where you got it? The post with the rug in the pic was on 11/3 at 11:09, if that helps. Thanks!

• maddie260
    9 years ago

Mushcreek, your tree just makes me smile; it's beautiful! My sister has a friend who goes to a lot every year and grabs a tree - no looking for the "perfect" tree, and she always has the "perfect" tree!

• gardenpea_gw
    9 years ago

Mushcreek, your tree brought back so many memories for me. Growing up, we never heard of a bought tree and always went to either set of grandparents' land and cut down a tree, and most of them looked just like yours.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Finally put ours up :)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

And stockings for all of the kids

• boystown
    9 years ago

Here is our tree. I swear it is straight IRL but sure looks crooked here.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Here's ours. Definitely the best one we've had in a while. I had a really good time setting it up this year. I used three different sized lights. Our ornaments are precious too me, so many memories! We do a family ornament Yankee Swap every year and we've got some doozies...I think I'm going to start culling some of the weirder ones.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Pretty happy with the way the mantel came out this year too...for some reason I love that gaudy wreath!

• Danahills
    9 years ago

We have a different sort of tree this year. We have two young cats that love to bat the hanging ornaments all over the room. Hence, we have no hanging ornaments on our tree this year. Doesn't seem quite the same, but no balls flying and bouncing around the house. Although I must say, my younger cat as actually started to pull the poinsettia off the tree (fake poinsettia). I think we can all agree that we love our pets so much, we tolerate and laugh at all they do.......

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

More gorgeous trees!! I love them all.

• Kathie738 P
    9 years ago

My arch tree

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Kathie, the arch is fun! I'd love to know what sparked that idea? I just love how everyone's tree is so different

• Kathie738 P
    9 years ago

Hi Bethpen,
    Actually we bought it like this about 15yrs ago..DH is not fond of it because it's not pre-lit but it is unique. Have a wonderful Christmas everyone!

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Kathie, your arch tree is so unique and such a terrific idea!

I do think though, that mushcreek's tree is the coolest tree I've ever seen! LOVE!

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

Grandpea - The rug is from Home Depot. It is usually in the in-stock rugs. It comes in different sizes, mine is the 8 X 10

Mohawk Home
    Model # 423605
    Internet # 204867209

Border Lattice Linen 8 ft. x 10 ft. Area Rug $167.00

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mohawk-Home-Border-Lattice-Linen-8-ft-x-10-ft-Area-Rug-423605/204867209?N=5yc1vZarjg

• Cayosusa
    9 years ago

Here is our tree. Merry Christmas everyone!

• louisianapurchase
    9 years ago

Thank you Cyn for the compliments about our tree! I too love the rounder ones. All of the trees posted are beautiful, and the stories from everyone have been an enjoyable read. Mushcreek, I have to say yours is my favorite!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Better late than never. I decided to just do balls this year and forgo the 30 years of collected ornaments. If she noticed, DD didn't say anything. The boys, however, jokingly accused me of blasphemy and treason for not using the old ornaments. Guess I better change it back next year, although I was already thinking of a "candy" themed tree for next year.....I have a gumdrop garland I've never used...oh well.

This post was edited by joaniepoanie on Thu, Dec 25, 14 at 23:26

• bpath
    9 years ago

A little late, but this is our last tree from our favorite tree farm before the cornfields take it over completely. The tree skirt is, quite literally, a skirt! My quilted maxi-wrap skirt from that fashion in the 1970s (think Emily on the old Bob Newhart show).

I simplified the mantle in keeping with this year's color scheme of green and gold and natural. The handsome deer are from a bottom shelf at Walgreens! The bells on the right are from the renaissance fair last summer. The little trees have battery-operated lights, carrying the light over from the tree. (Oops the cords are visible today, someone must have been fiddling with them) The Tom Thomson above it all is there all year, but the snow field is especially fitting this time of year!

Where are the stockings, you wonder? They hang on the kids' bedroom doors so Santa can fill them and slip them onto the beds, keeps them busy for a few more minutes on Christmas morning!

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Wow what a wonderful thread! So many gorgeous trees! We still do many unbreakable ornaments. I just can't stand it when one of my mother or grandmothers ornaments break so for now they stay packed up till the kids are older. :)

We went on vacation this year between Thanksgiving and Christmas and only put the tree up a few days before Christmas. We went for the tree so late there were not many to pick from but I loved this tree! I wish we had it up longer.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Love all the trees! That snowman tree is a great illustration of how to use a white tree, it's adorable!

Outside, love your living Christmas tree! Our choral society sings in four performances during the academic year but the Christmas concert is our most popular, with a sold out crowd and a few carols for audience participation in addition to the classical pieces we sing. Our performance is the first Thursday in December and always signals the start of the Christmas season in our community. It's wonderful of you and your husband to participate in the choir at such a hectic time of year!! You probably "make" Christmas for many people who hear the group sing!

• mboston_gw
    9 years ago

I'm late but it seems all my pictures seem dark. Included a couple of some new ornaments I got. Think this is the last year for this tree. We blew a circuit breaker Christmas Eve. The cord felt hotter than usual but the tree had been on all day. I'm now only leaving it on a couple hours at a time and never have left the house with it on.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Mboston, your tree is heavenly! It truly looks like the nighttime heavens. Beautiful :)

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Here is our Frasier fir with the home theatre speaker in front. DH puts the Starship Enterpise as a topper. Lots of vintage ornaments & an elf ladder.

{{gwi:2140419}}