Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubyclaire1

Help Needed With Small Dining Room

rubyclaire
9 years ago

We built a small second home which is intended to become our retirement home in a few years and while our build went smoothly, the decorating not so much. As it turns out, many of the pieces in our current home won't really work in this space eventually so we have purchased a few new pieces along the way and there are some temporary things in place for the time being.

Our small dining room is presenting a challenge because thought I would use a server/buffet but I'm not sure the space can handle it. Which then leaves me with a 10ft wall to fill in some way. I need help. Options I have considered are a large antique "gilver" mirror (46"x58") with maybe a bench, a large piece of art, a gallery of same sized prints, a taller display cabinet (all of the pieces I have are about the same height in this open concept) or a set of three narrow rectangular mirrors placed horizontally. What do you all see for this space? Thanks in advance...

Comments (34)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I think a mirror would be pretty since there is a window on the opposite wall.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More detail: the plan is for the two side chairs in the dining room to replaced with Louis 16 style chairs in the attached fabric. The other chairs will be white slip-covered. Little botanicals above chairs can be replaced as well.

Thanks again!

• novacat_2010
    9 years ago

wow! very elegant... your pendants, your drapery, the chandelier and the fabric. i would just try different stuff (make sure you can return). A buffet would be great but they are somewhat deep. maybe you can look for a narrow (er) buffet? The mirror would be beautiful.

• novacat_2010
    9 years ago

wow! very elegant... your pendants, your drapery, the chandelier and the fabric. i would just try different stuff (make sure you can return). A buffet would be great but they are somewhat deep. maybe you can look for a narrow (er) buffet? The mirror would be beautiful.

• amykath
    9 years ago

beautiful home. I think a mirror would be great! I like the little prints and love your ideas.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all - I appreciate your kind words and input on this! Sounds like the mirror may be a good option. I'm so used to having a server that it is hard to fathom not having one. But I've also never had a kitchen island two steps away from the dining room table :).

I'm not sure downsizing is for me...but that may be a totally different discussion!!

• marcolo
    9 years ago

A big Carver's Guild mirror would be terrific on that wall.

You can also get a shallow sofa table to substitute for a full blown server there.

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

Marcolo beat me to it - a narrow sofa table instead of a buffet.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Yes, a narrow sofa table would work. Maybe even a demi-lune would work. I love the little botanicals flanking the window, so don't dismiss them, yet :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I was going very mirror happy once when the mirror contractor himself reminded me to consider what exactly the mirror would reflect ... In this case, what's out the window? Would it be tooo sunny ?

I'd be partial to a narrow console for its flexibility and function. I have one that is only 12" wide with a glass top and a sort of French regency ( I think) metal base. My DH always calls it my "ironing board table" but it takes very little physical space and very little visual space, yet is very helpful in a dining room as a bar or server. I've had it probably 20 years now, in an apartment, a verandah and a dining room.

Btw love the fabric you chose!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I don't know what metals mine is, but I was curious so I looked on line to see if I could find an example. Mine is silver in tone with some patina.

I did see this ,,, the brass Labarge stuff is always a bargain .... Funnily enough this is very near me. Gives you an idea of one type that might work; not sure how you feel about brass.

Here is a link that might be useful: Console table 160$

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Ooh ooh, or maybe throw a little something mod in the mix and go with a lucite console ....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I was going to suggest getting fancy brackets or corbels and do a shelf instead of a table. You can then make the top out of whatever you like...wood, glass, stone...

If you want to just decorate the wall, I put 3 framed Wm Morris wallpaper panels on the wall in my DR to fill it.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mtn: you hit on my nagging concern about a mirror - the reflected view. The opposing window looks out on a porch with outdoor furniture, etc.

I had thought about a glass/metal console and like that idea. Had not thought about a lucite console and that could be very interesting!

Errant: had to look up demi-lune :) and found a metal one but I think it is too deep. The little botanicals have been with me since 1993 so they will likely stay. Just want to see how they work with the reupholstered chairs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Demi-Lune

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie: love William Morris and your room looks gorgeous! Great idea!!

Thanks all -

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Maybe just a few large botanical prints and leave it at that. The mirror may reflect someone eating at the table and that is never good.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beverly: yes, as much as I love a big mirror it's reflective qualities can be problematic. (Eating, trying on clothes, etc.)

I love the idea of big prints like you suggested (and Annie's wallpaper idea) but I may need to see how the fabric on the chairs looks first. It may not be so bad but right now with my big swatch it feels overwhelming.

Thanks for the idea!

• bac717
    9 years ago

Here's how I filled a slightly under 10' wall in my DR after we moved a china cabinet to another wall in the room. The prints are 23" X 27" with approximately 3" between. (I now have the chairs painted black.)

• teacats
    9 years ago

How about a thin white painted wood shelf along the top of the wall (match its height to the height of your kitchen cabinets to create a smooth visual line)

Then add a single large oversized artwork/photo below the new shelf -- you could even have an electrical add small downlights in the shelf to highlight the artwork (or photo or a personal photo of a location that you love)

Here is a link that might be useful: art.com -- artwork oversized sepia

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bac: I have two larger framed botanicals that I may be able to add 1 or 2 more to achieve something more like what you've done. I really love the oversized prints but not having much luck finding something.

Teacats: thanks for your suggestions! I'm terrible at visualizing how that might look but I will look for that in inspiration photos.

• bac717
    9 years ago

I was extremely lucky to find the prints I have at a consignment shop, but they are still available from Ballard Designs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ballad Design prints

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Re the mirror: Mom has a mirror in her dining room. Sister and I, both of us responsible adults, very subtly jockey to not have to sit facing the mirror. Plus one of Mom's grandchildren, who will not be named here, will spend the entire meal gazing into the mirror in rapt self-admiration. We have to make sure that grandchild is not facing the mirror. Obviously, having a mirror across from a dining table has some drawbacks.

If you want a narrow console and you are willing to have dash of contemporary, you might look at the blu dot Strut console:

[Modern Tables[(https://www.houzz.com/products/modern-coffee-tables-prbr1-br~t_532~s_2105) by Sacramento Lighting Lumens

It is only 11.5" inches wide. I have it in watermelon, but it also comes in ivory, slate, and white.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the source of your prints Bac - what a great consignment shop find!

Very cool table bbstx! The size is just about perfect. Do you love it? Have you posted a photo here I could see? Watermelon is gorgeous but I probably live more in the neutral zone. Very safe :) Thanks for sharing -

• bbstx
    9 years ago

rc, here it is in my dining room.

{{!gwi}}

another angle (boy! I need to do something about those lamp cords)
    {{!gwi}}

Yes, I do love it. However, I need to get a bit of pink on the other side of the room.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What a great piece - love the pop of color!!

Thanks for posting - it give a great idea of the size/proportions.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

When I was contemplating purchasing the console, palimpsest suggested I look at Room and Board's Slim Console. Below is the link. They are very narrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: R&B Slim Console

• theclose
    9 years ago

I vote for slim console/sofa table and prints over it.

@bbstx, I remember when you got your "boyfriend" and wow do I love it/him!!!

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks bbstx & mamorella. I feel like I am getting a much better sense of the direction I want to go in.

Ok...I have to ask..."boyfriend"???

• bbstx
    9 years ago

rc, when I first asked the forum members if they thought I could use this console in my very traditional, aqua, cream, gray, and brown LR/DR, I couched it in terms of being attracted to a boy who would be inappropriate to date (think Romeo to Juliet or Danny Zuko to Sandy Olsson or Shrek to Fiona or Rhett to Scarlet). I'm attaching a link to it. Some of the GW'ers were quite funny in their comments.

Here is a link that might be useful: An Inappropriate Attachment

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So that's why I am so attracted to this table!!!

You all are incredibly helpful and pretty *&% hilarious to boot - thanks for sharing :)

• amykath
    9 years ago

BB, your bf looks amazing and I am in awe of that artwork on top of him. teehee

• amykath
    9 years ago

Not sure what look you are going for, but this 11" deep console looks to fit right in with your decor. I think it would look fantastic with some artwork above it and a lamp or two on top.

You can get it at Joss and Main or quite a few other places. Joss and Main had the best price.

Here is a link that might be useful: Table link

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

aktillery - that does look like my style and at a great price! I have a larger piece in the living room area that is very similar. My foyer table is about this size so when I am at the house this weekend, I will move that into the space and see how a console works.

Appreciate the great ideas!

• amykath
    9 years ago

How perfect Ruby!