Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

my DR tonight...

User
10 years ago

I am getting ready for company tonight and tried out a new centerpiece on the DR table. I have had the pussy willows since this past June. I brought them cut fresh from Lexington VA where we spent the month. I added the votive holders the other day . I "found" them in my attic storage room when DH and I cleaned it out . I love the glow ! So festive. I hope you enjoy too. Have a wonderful evening. c

Comments (29)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Beautiful! It looks so warm and welcoming.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Lovely! The glow from the candles, lamps and chandelier bring a warm glow to everything in the room. Your dining room is beautiful, Caroline, and very warm and welcoming, too!
    Lynn

• romy718
    10 years ago

Your dining room is so pretty, yet warm & inviting. The chandelier is beautiful, as is your window trim & your lace curtains. The candlelight & pussywillows...lovely. Enjoy!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I had no idea cut pussy willows would last that long. They are one of my favorites.

p.s. I love the lighting and picture arrangement over your chest in the back.

This post was edited by marti8a on Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 21:03

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

It looks lovely! Big smile on this end. Hope the evening is a great success:)

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

It's beautiful. I love the rich browns. Have a fun night!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Enjoy!

• bpath
    10 years ago

So pretty! Love how the shape of the arrangement echoes the arrangement of three pictures on the wall. Happy Thanksgiving!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you !Holly,Lynn and Romy...I love that you all said it looks warm and inviting. Exactly what I was hoping for. I am sorry the pic is blurry...I don't have a tripod and night shots require it :(.

Marti they last essentially forever...or until the little baby fingers of our grandson picks them all off ! He loves to stroke them on his cheek and then mine...sweet boy ! Thank you !

Old bat I never tire of the Belgian Chocolate walls. They are BM matte and look like velvet IRL. Thank you !

Thank you Nancy and Ellen! DH and our guest are playing music at the moment.

I belong to an organization called Warm Showers. It allows one to stay for free with hosts world wide when one is bicycle touring. I joined last year when I was riding across Canada. We are hosts whenever someone is passing this way. This young man started in NYC and is headed to NOLA. We have so much in common and he is only 25. Life is so interesting when shared .

Thank you all ,I appreciate the kind remarks. c

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

What a lovely room! I can imagine lingering after dinner with some good conversation in here.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

very pretty! thanks for posting.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you just ! we did that for a while ...this boy can eat !! The we adjourned across the hall so they could make music.

Thank you Violet. c

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Beautiful ambience, C. Looks very warm.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

trailrunner - I know you won't mind this hi-jack. Loved hearing about your guest and can imagine the good stories sure to come. My father invited my husband and me on a Classic Adventures trip about 5 years ago. It got us on bicycles and we've been riding (sporadically) ever since. He's been riding much more though, along with my older brother. Last year he completed a 1000 miles. He's in NC with my older brother (the timber framer - she says proudly - and fabulous photographer). I'm so proud of them both. Here's my 82 year old father finishing a recent Velo Girls ride :)

P.S. One of my cousins rode across the country recently and reading her nightly posts were great fun. Fabulous topic and exactly why I try to push the kids and DH to try to share interesting things at the dinner table each night.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

It sounds like you had a lovely evening. How fun it must be to meet new people with so much in common with you! I think the Warm Showers program is a really neat idea.

• User
    10 years ago

When I saw your post I thought, "Oh, goodie, it probably has pix of DGS!" Nope, but at least a reference to him. Pretty DR and what a fun evening!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I was expecting to see a layout of delicious foods!

The photo does not do your centerpiece justice! But I love your warm and lovely room. Love your bold wall color choice.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Looks lovely! Glad you had a nice evening!!!!!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bp..we were posting at the same time. Thank you for your comments. I hadn't noticed the relationship with the pictures and the arrangement !! You have a much better eye than I :)

thank you outside...on a chilly night it was just perfect.

old bat...your Dad is "da' bomb " !!! Wow....he looks amazing ! I had to look up the Velo girls...I had never heard of them before. They are very active in the Bay area ...but ..I found they have a tour for the Blue Ridge !! I have always wanted to do it and hadn't seen their tour. I am so stoked. I think I am going to definitely do it with them. Thank you for posting. I love this forum as I am always learning something new. I have now done 3 tours 3200 miles, 2800 miles and 1600 miles, and love it. Your Dad looks fantastic !

Thank you snookums...I will post a better pic with daylight. I am no good at night shots. Food was wonderful...duh...should have taken a pic. Next time :)

Hey cat ! Loved your pics too !! What a great time you had. DR has never looked better. I am so glad I "found " the votives. c

thank you just...we did indeed have a great time. Warm Showers makes long distance cycling available to anyone since it is free. All you have to do is return the favor and host someone. It is great !

haha java...you can see baby's antique highchair in the right corner :) I will have to post a recent pic...he is our precious peanut for sure ! Thank you for the compliments.

• amykath
    10 years ago

So warm and inviting! Can I come over for dinner? ;)

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

really nice !!

• eandhl
    10 years ago

What a wonderful organization, Warm Showers is. Your Dining rm looks beautiful and without doubt the food was delicious. Merry making with music, how fun.

• User
    10 years ago

What a wonderful room, c, the arrangement is just right! I love pussywillow and admit to stroking them like your grandson on my face...they are so velvety. There's nothing like a natural material like that.

We used to be host families when our kids were in boarding schools for the students who lived too far to go home...great experiences :-)

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ak...you name the date...you are always welcome. !! thank you !

thank you mitch !

thank you Holly ! I appreciate the kind words.

kswl..yes pussy willows are wonderful. I was born in OH and I remember them so fondly. That and cat tails. Love how soft and fluffy they are. Thank you ! I appreciate all the sweet compliments.

DH has made TWO 4 egg ham and cheese omelets for our young man this AM !!!! TWO !! that is 8 eggs LOL ! And 4 pieces of homemade toast with honey and butter and coffee . He is a bottomless pit. Has been a real treat. He is also a meditator so we did a 45 min sit at 6:30 AM. Can't get off to a better start to the day....or our lives. c

• teacats
    10 years ago

Your dining room looks so warm and inviting -- and such a wonderful story too! :)

LOVE the idea of morning meditation and a good hearty breakfast too!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you teacats...we all meditated but HE ate that hearty breakfast :) If I had been riding 80 miles again today then I would have had a big brekkie too LOL ! c

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Your dining room looks so warm and inviting and I love the glow from the centerpiece and the velvet looking walls. Thank you for sharing.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    10 years ago

Super beautiful! I love the brown walls with the creamy, gorgeous millwork. The windows, lighting, and table are so cozy. Just perfect.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Lynn and Jan ! Everyone has been so complimentary. I am sorry the pic is so bad. I am going to try and get a better one. I need to explore night shots . I am glad my efforts at "cozy" have come across ! thank you again. c