Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bac717gw

The LR - Part 2 - a table for between the chairs

bac717
9 years ago

With a lot of help from many members here, we have a furniture arrangement we like in the LR. I will link that thread here, but be prepared to read a lot and look at many pictures.

Now, I am trying to decide on a table to use between the chairs in the window. We have a small, rectangular table with drop leaves that we tried early on in the arranging process, but I think with the leaves up, altho the shape is nice, the table is too large. We could use the table with the leaves down, but I'm not sure the shape is the best with the chairs. On CL, I found that our GW friend dlm2000 (I bought the chairs and ottoman from her) is also selling a cute round table that she used between the chairs when they lived at her house. I like the table, but here is my concern. We already have a round table in the corner between the sofa and one of the chairs in the window. Would another round table be too much? Here are some pictures.

#1 - Round table in corner, rectangle to the left of sofa, space between chairs that needs a table.

#2 - Tables switched so the round tables wouldn't be so close together (But I think I prefer our round pedestal table in the corner)

#3 - The table dlm is selling. It is 20" round and 25" tall. The arms of the chairs are about 26" tall at the front and angle down to about 24.5" tall.

#4 - dlm shared this picture with me. Here are the chairs and the table as they were arranged in her home.

So......round table, rectangle or something else??? Any suggestions if you think neither the round or the rectangle would work there? Thanks!!

Here is a link that might be useful: LR furniture arrangement

Comments (23)

• carolt924
    9 years ago

I like the table that elm is selling, the height is good with your chair arms and although it is round, it is quite different from the table you already own. I especially like the metal fretwork around the top of the table and it's smaller scale will allow the chairs to be closer together, which I think has a nice look.

• funkyart
    9 years ago

I agree-- it's a lovely table, perfect for the chairs and sufficiently different to add interest to your room without looking out of place!

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

I thnk I'd go for something less leggy. You have a lot of legs already in the room.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

carol - the metal gallery edge is what I like, too.
    funky - I think it could fit in, too.
    k9 - you make a very good point about all the legs. What kind of table do you think I should be looking for?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Put your round table between the two chairs and use the drop leaf table in the corner.

• User
    9 years ago

I like Beverly's suggestion. If you bought another table I'd try and find one without legs. I DO like the table of Dlm's though and think if you're going to get another one with legs, that would be a good choice since it's a little different than the other two.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Bac, I'd look for an end table that would be described as a trunk.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

beverly - my table is 28" round and 28" tall. I think it's too large and too tall for that space.

shee - so a table without legs......do you mean something that's more of a small chest like this:

• Gracie
    9 years ago

My window chairs are a little smaller than yours and I have a 28" table between them. I think 20" is a bit small for two chairs to share. (Sorry, dlm!)

I'd try your round table between the chairs and a floor lamp in the corner between the chair and sofa. Our floor lamp is in the corner next to the sofa and it adds some height to the corner. It would also give you some relief from all the wood.

Can you scoot the rug over toward the sofa a few inches? I don't think it needs to be exactly centered on the window.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Try googling drum table.

• carolt924
    9 years ago

If I remember correctly, your previous post had a pic showing your round table between the two chairs. I think the height of your table is a bit high for between the chairs but works well next to the sofa as the sofa arms are at or about the same height as the table top. Although dlm's table diameter is small, if you plan for a lamp and a small accessory or just a spot to place a drink, I think it would work.
    Although both tables have a three legged base, I think they work together and if I was going to get a chest/trunk like piece, I would change out the cocktail table, not this exact piece but along these lines.

This post was edited by CarolT924 on Sun, Nov 2, 14 at 1:13

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

bac717-
    I don't have a suggestion on a table, but I did previously comment on your other post about rearranging this room and I have to say that your new arrangement is terrific! It's so much more open and comfortable looking. Congratulations!

• lilylore
    9 years ago

bac717
    #1 - Round table in corner, opens up the corner, rectangle table closes off the corner.

#4 - the chairs and the table make a very pleasing setting. Another round table isn't too much, and might be a nice repetition of shapes, but then you might want the round table on the far side of the couch then.

I like the chest/trunk coffee table Posted by CarolT924, because it would ground the room, which could use something showy that would draw you in when you first entered the room.

• jjam
    9 years ago

I second Beverly's suggestion along with sheesharee. I don't see the height being a problem in the photo. It's so much better to use what you already have and I think it would look great.

You've created a lovely room!

• bpath
    9 years ago

I agree with shee and your picture, a small chest between the chairs. It will also look nice from the outside. Gives a place to keep coasters, cocktail napkins, even a couple pieces of seasonal decor to change out quickly.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

My concern would be introducing a new table to a room with so much wood already. I think the room could benefit from some matchy-ness in wood tones and styles. I would use the drop leaf table for now and focus on replacing the coffee table, which you've mentioned in past posts, and take it from there for other tables.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, everyone, for all your suggestions. I had to satisfy my curiosity and try out the arrangement may_flowers recommended (and follow jjam's advice to use what we already have). Here is my round table in the window and a floor lamp in the corner. Is the table too tall? Is the corner too bare?

A little closer to show the height of the table next to the chairs. Sorry the lighting is so bad. Not the best time of day to be taking a picture.

However................I STILL do really like the table dlm2000 is selling and am STILL very tempted to buy it. The price is good. That's a little crazy, isn't it?

• lilylore
    9 years ago

Here is my round table in the window and a floor lamp in the corner. Is the table too tall? Perfect as far as I can see, because it's in front of the window, I think the height looks very right.

Is the corner too bare? To me it is.

I STILL do really like the table dlm2000 is selling and am STILL very tempted to buy it. The price is good. That's a little crazy, isn't it? No it isn't, especially if you love the table.

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

I've not seen LR-Part1, but just wanted to mention that the couch is sitting entirely on the hardwood floor w/o front feet resting on the rug. Something seemed off about the arrangement - maybe correcting that would help.

This post was edited by arapaho on Sun, Nov 2, 14 at 14:36

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Buy the table!!!!

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will most likely buy the table. I feel like I at least have to give it a try in this room. Depending on the direction I go with the other tables, it may just right. may_flowers mentioned replacing the coffee table. She's right, I have talked about that in the past. Altho some here have suggested a different style for the coffee table, I am thinking I might want something completely different like a metal/iron and glass table. This room is the decorating version of "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie".

Lily - I have a few options in my warehouse basement that I might be able to use in the corner. One is an wood etagere and the other is a tri-fold wood screen.

arapaho - the rug is a very awkward size. It's 8' X 9'. If I pull the sofa forward, the chairs also have to move and that throws off the centering on the window. Someday I'm going to find a larger rug or have a piece of carpeting bound in a larger size.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Looking good. If you think the corner looks a little bare how about just adding adding a plant or two. Perhaps a good size tall one in back with one or two shorter ones in front of it. The lamp could stay there too.
    Another option might be to move the curio cabinet that is to the left of the couch and put it in the corner space but then you couldn't use the floor lamp there.

• User
    9 years ago

I was going to suggest a secretary for the right corner next to the sofa, one that has a drop work surface you can let down that can serve that end of the sofa---- although drinks can certainly be placed in the cocktail table instead of an end table. Or, would you consider a large (36") skirted table for that corner? You'd have room for a lamp, some pretty vignette, photos, etc.

Would def buy that small table of dlm's and want to congratulate you on snagging her chairs, they look marvelous in your living room!