Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Bathroom wall materials and or color?

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

This hall bath is now gutted.

I am keeping the sink and tub, as well as the little light blue cabinet.
The tub is painted light blue.

The floor will be this:

So, would you just go with white walls? That is my inclination. Especially with the floor,and the fact that I will have both WT and a shower curtain in here (hmm, what should those be). Would you do beadboard or shiplap or? We purposely kept the old fashioned tub/shower and so there is not really a place for tile. We like the look.

Its hard to tell, but it feels very roomy. It is L shaped and has a high ceiling.

Comments (23)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'd go with a very pale blue...almost like white with a hint.

I think it's going to be lovely!

• eandhl
    10 years ago

I would like regular bead-board or 3 horizontal beaded board wainscot?

• caminnc
    10 years ago

I can't really tell the colors in your floor but I love the shiplap idea in white and maybe either a matching blue (tub and cabinet color) or darkest color on the floor above the shiplap. That's assuming you wouldn't go all the way up to the ceiling with shiplap.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Annie. (oh nooooooo back to blue paints again, LOL).

Cam, Eandhl,
    I am a little sleep deprived. I don't understand either of your posts!

3 horizontal beaded board wainscot?

darkest color on the floor above the shiplap?

thanks!

• theclose
    10 years ago

First thing I thought of was Benjamin Moore Patrioic White. Haven't used it but read about it being Vicente Wolfe's fave blue. Reads white in direct sun, then blue later in day. I've had it bookmarked for ages. Seems like it would work well in a house by the ocean!

Love that bathroom.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I think caminnc means to put the tan color in the tile above the wainscot.

If you don't want more blue, then you could always go peach or coral ... It always makes people look great in the mirror. Always remember my MIL who painted her bath green and then had to repaint as it made everyone look seasick.

• sochi
    10 years ago

I vote for white shiplap. Lovely room.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

The mural is gone? Wasn't nice?

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Same question as Jamies: You're not keeping that sail boat on the wall?

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

I also think white shiplap would look amazing in that space.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm, I think shiplap is too rustic for the house. The maids rm and captive PR are all shiplap, and I think of that as the lesser space in the house.

Remember, the LR is pretty formal.

The sailboat is like a piece of linoleum. Its not my thing ...

Thanks, all for your input. I will check out Patriotic white...

I do know that the room could use a jolt of cherry red, like the tile photo... just a lil'

• jmc01
    10 years ago

Any chance of the tub being sandblasted and repainted white? That would really open up options.

• User
    10 years ago

I thought the tile was a white and chartreuse green, one of my favorite combinations, until somebody above mentioned white and tan. May I ask why you are not going with the traditional white and black tile floor? I thing the light blues look wonderful as a foil against the crispness of white and black.

Regardless of the floor I would not paint the bathroom blue. That is not a mirror-friendly color. If you can find the right white it will set the tub off beautifully, although I am not sold on the floor. I love that you are using the tub as is!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the new tile (non negotiable), close up: It is a white background with green and cherry red. It does also come with a blue ground.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Ah that changes everything...in the first pic it looked like tan. I ran the tile through color palette fx and here's what resulted. A pretty, wide palette to choose from. The tile is very feminine so you could choose a more feminine color.

• User
    10 years ago

Omg I LOVE that tile! It will be perfect with the blue tub!! And white walls and white or pale blue towels, and I would def use a painted cherry red chair or settee, if you have the space.

Would use tile with white background for greater flexibility.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

Click on the picture to enlarge, an example of early horizontal wainscot.
    http://www.oldhouseonline.com/wainscot-paneling-for-old-houses/

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry in advance ... Typing on my phone.

I had posted the tile before so thought you guys knew it... Duh , sorry

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i think i would def do white wainscoting with that tile... and maybe bring it up pretty high... although i don't know how that would affect the mirror and sconces??? (maybe wouldn't bring it too high! lol) and, i would probably try the extremely pale blues above it first and see how that looked. if i didn't like the blue, i would probably try a light coral type color next- like the 2nd from r of annie's colors except abit lighter- if i didn't like that, i'd stick with white! :)

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

Lovely tile! And so original/fresh. I think you have to be careful not to get too country charm/shabby chic with it, so I would vote for no shiplap, maybe wainscoting but I would look for a style that's either strong (maybe high like busybee mentioned above) or little hip. I would also keep the walls a nice warm white and find some funky bright pink/red or bright green chair/accessory... You could reintroduce the light blue somehow in the windows or shower curtain? I for one am super excited to see what you do with this bathroom.

• nini804
    10 years ago

I think something like the paneling I have around my tub would dressy it up a bit. I think beadboard reads quite casual. And, BTW, I LOVE your tile!

• sweet_tea_
    10 years ago

I vote for white walls and beadboard. I think it will be a very charming bathroom.

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

Farrow and Ball Skylight #205 Modern Emulsion

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio