Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_lu_gw

If not Lazyboy, that what brand recliner?

mary_lu_gw
14 years ago

I know, I know the "dreaded" recliner. DH was injured several years ago and often is unable to sleep in bed. It looks like the recovery is as good as it is going to get. We are thinking of buying a recliner so that he is at least able to get some sleep on those nights. A partial sitting position makes this possible. His problems are in the shoulders. I've read some comments here that Lazyboy is no longer a good brand to buy. Why? Years ago they were supposed to be the best. If not Lazyboy, then what is a good brand?

We have also looked at/considered the Tempurpedic mattress/bed with adjustable headboard and footboard, but just too $$$.

Comments (46)

• Oakley
    14 years ago

Lane. We're on our second Lane recliner. Best ever if you need to sleep sitting up. lol. Plus, they're more comfortable it seems, and easy to get in and out of compared to other recliners.

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    14 years ago

We just bought a new Lane and really like it. They have a lifetime warranty.

• denali2007
    14 years ago

Hancock and Moore and Leathercraft have some beautiful recliners that don't look like recliners but are somewhat pricey.

Here is a link that might be useful: leathercraft recliners

• loribee
    14 years ago

We have both Lazyboy and Lane...both are grand and my hubby is able to sleep in both.
    Good luck to your husband.

• frazoo
    14 years ago

We still prefer Lazyboy. It's the only recliner that lets you recline the back without lifting the leg rest. I can have my feet on the floor and still have the back reclined a bit.

• sjh53
    14 years ago

My husband has a very physical job, so he has always had a recliner. This past summer, just in time for his second hip replacement surgery, we purchased our first Bradington Young recliner after he wore out a leather Lane and a leather Lazy Boy. He loves the chair and I love that I finally have a chair that looks so good in the living room! Yes, it was pricey (but less expensive than Hancock and Moore), but I think the quality is superior to the other two brands.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

loribee and frazoo, thanks for taking the time to reply. Have either of you had problems with your Lazyboy? Not sure what the issues are supposed to be with them? Just have heard that they are not as good as they use to be?

sjharris53....oh I love your chair! Were you able to purchase it locally? Do you remember the name of the style? I have not heard of Bradington Young before, but that doesn't mean much. We have no "new" furniture in our old house. Just old furniture :-) That is one thing that concerns me, that most recliners look so bulky and modern. Yours looks really great! Thanks for posting the pic.

• yogacat
    14 years ago

Bradington Young would be my second choice after Hancock & Moore. It's definitely decent furniture.

Lazyboy just didn't hold up well for my DH.

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

I have a Bradington Young recliner that I got in 1987. It still works perfectly though it needs recovering. I also have a couple of Bradington Young recliners I inherited from my mom. They are from 2005 and still look new.

• frazoo
    14 years ago

We haven't had any problems with our Lazyboys. And, again, we just really like being able to recline the back without raising the foot rest. Lazyboy has more positions on their chairs than the others do.

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

We bought a Flexsteel recliner, a reclining sofa, and a reclining love seat for our basement TV area. They are wonderful and extremely comfortable. Ours are leather and are wearing very well after 2 years now.
    Ours are like this in a darker leather:

Although unintentional, we sleep in ours all the time!!

• loribee
    14 years ago

Mary Lu...not one problem with our Lazyboy.
    It's been just fine~

• nicole__
    14 years ago

I just purchased a Lane. We've "never" owned a reclining sofa before. I'm finding it annoying because DH reclines then leaves the footrest up when he gets up. It also prevents us from using a coffee table. Here's a manufacturers rating chart...I found it helpful..

Here is a link that might be useful: Rating manufacturers of leather furniture

• deeinohio
    14 years ago

It sounds as if function is your primary objective. Your husband needs to sleep. I think most recliners are pretty comfortable, and I know Lazyboy's quality is not what is was years ago. We have 2 different leather recliners and they're both very comfortable, but I wouldn't want to sleep in them. We also own one of Lazyboy's bigger steroidal recliners for the basement. My DIL borrowed it during both of her pregnancies because she couldn't sleep lying down. When she returned it, she said she loved sleeping in it. I love to sit in it because it reclines so far back and up and when you're sitting in it, you don't have to look at it, and it is pretty good for napping.:)
    Dee

• annzgw
    14 years ago

I think you should go with whatever brand fits your husband. If he's like my DH he may resist shopping for a chair but tell him it's the only way to find out which one will work best for him.

My DH also has nights where he can only sleep in his recliner so I understand what you're going thru. He loves his older model Lazyboy leather recliner, which reclines nearly flat, and probably will never replace it. Lazyboy claims they don't make the model anymore for safety reasons......they say the chairs would tip too easily. Funny, we've never had that problem the 20 yrs. we've owned it!

I wouldn't hesitate to buy Lazyboy again, even tho I've heard the chairs aren't made as well. Their customer service has been great with 2 chairs my DIL purchased. Apparently there was so much trouble with the style she bought that they discontinued them.

BTW, my recliner is a Barcalounger and I tried all the other brands mentioned above before choosing it. I have a lower back problem and this chair is the only one that fit me best and relieved my back.
    I still like the mechanical features of the Lazyboy best! :)

• catherine_l
    14 years ago

I own both Hancock and Moore and Bradington-Young recliners. They are nice, but I wouldn't want to spend the night in them. I highly recommend Flexsteel.

• jaybird
    14 years ago

Mine is a Lazyboy...20 years old and on it's second fabric cover. I sleep in it total, 3 months of the year. I have never had a problem and hope it lasts for the rest of my life!! I will gladly buy it a new dress every 10 years or so :^)

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. You have given me lots of things to mull over. I guess the biggest thing for me to remember is that the prime concern is comfort for DH, as he will be the one sleeping there fairly often. I guess I will just have to convince him to go shopping with me so that he can try out the chairs. We will definitely check out the different brands mentioned in your replies. (I have already been searching for retailers in our area) I so wanted a recliner that looks good, but guess that is not as important as comfort and durability. Thanks again.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

We have two Lazyboy recliners. One was my Dad's that my sister and I bought him for Christmas in 95. He used it until he passed away seven years ago. We've had it ever since and my hubby sits in it daily. After I was hospitalized and took over hubby's recliner I started looking on Craigslist for a good recliner. I found a very similar, but a little more feminine looking Lazyboy that had belonged to the young man I purchased it from Grandmother. He and his wife never really used it. We use them constantly and have no complaints. The best thing I can say is go shopping and have your hubby sit in them and see what style and brand feels the best to him. I hope you find something that helps him sleep at night. You can always check with your hubby's doctor to see if there's a possibility of having an adjustable bed prescribed for him so your insurance would pay for all or part of it.

• gregdill
    14 years ago

I think lane is best.Lane is a branded company of furniture world.They provide best quality and service.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

One other brand I've tried recently is Thomasville; they have a nice smooth recliner that can adjust well at any angle. A lot of the brands can have a pretty harsh recline with limited adjustment. Plus, they don't look like recliners. I also liked the power recline feature available as an upgrade (I think) on Bradington Young. I've always liked the massage recliners, but just can't bear to have one in the family room.

• randita
    10 years ago

We've had several Lazyboys and the quality has been good. The only problem we had with one of them was the fabric we chose was kind of an open weave and it tended to catch and pull. Now we have leather ones and I think they will last a long time.

Whenever I get a cold or allergy attack, I find it very easy to sleep sitting up or semi-reclined in the Lazyboy.

DH is tall and has a tall man's Lazyboy. It matches mine exactly (maroon leather), but is bigger. Most Lazyboy styles come in a tall man's version. One advantage if your hubby is tall.

• ajc9
    10 years ago

Another vote for flexsteel:)

• Chris Braun
    8 years ago

We just went to Lazyboy today looking for recliners and I didn't find anything I liked. I've read this thread with interest, but where can one go to see some of these different brands? Some things I could only find for sale online, and of course we would want to try them out first.

• annztoo
    8 years ago

Chris,

Call every furniture store near you....including the high-end furniture stores, JCPenney, Macys, Sears & Relax the Back...... and ask the brands of recliners they carry. Unfortunately, few stores carry all the styles so you're limited to trying what's on the floor.

• K Sissy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Our Lazy Boy died, and we just purchased a Smith Bros Recliner, made in Indiana,kiln dried lumber, and 8 way hand tied springs. My husband is an Engineer, and he said the construction was great. We love it. It's a soft, wonderful stylish leather, that looks great in our Family Room. We did not pay any more $ than we would have for a top of the line Lazy Boy. We bought it at Best Furniture in Fort Thomas,KY. Great store!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    8 years ago

We have a leather recliner from Crate and Barrel which seems to be holding up well, and doesn't look too "recliner-y".

• Jak Perth
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We had an awful time with Lazyboy recliners and would not buy them again. We bought DH a power reciner by Palliser over two years ago. DH uses it daily and he is hard on furniture but his recliner looks as good today as it did when we bought it. He sleeps in it often. Our reclining sofa and chair are by Best and they too still look great after a few years but DH rarely uses them. All of our furniture is leather, the Palliser is a thicker higher quality chosen because we knew it would get tougher use.

• Chris Braun
    8 years ago

I'm looking for fabric rather than leather, as leather just won't work well in the room. So many of the fabric choices look really dowdy. I'd like something a bit more contemporary -- maybe tweedy -- rather than something that looks like an old bedspread. (I told the young saleswoman at Lazyboy yesterday that I thought most of the fabrics looked like the belonged in my grandmother's home, and she said, "Well, you ARE buying a recliner!" I was not impressed.)

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    8 years ago

I just checked and Crate & Barrel has some fabric recliners,

Greer Fabric Recliner at C&B

Royce Fabric Recliner at C&B

I forgot to mention that we bought ours in late summer/early fall during their annual upholstery sale.

• Suzieque
    8 years ago

I've just purchased a La-Z-Boy couch/recliner and love it. It's not the overstuffed, traditional La-Z-Boy. It's attractive, comfortable, and a great value.

• maddielee
    8 years ago

Norwalk Furniture has recliners. Lots of fabric choices, made in the USA.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I strongly agree - La-Z-boy used to be a good brand, but they no longer are reliable. We initially had a great experience with La-Z-boy. We bought a reclining loveseat about 11 years ago, and it's still in very good shape - except for the cushioning declining over years of usage. It's never had any service calls, and the mechanism is the original, which works fine. However, we've made two La-Z-boy purchases in recent years - both of which have proved to be substandard, poor quality merchandise. The first was for two reclining chairs, and within months the cushioning had noticeably flattened with only light usage. We ended up selling the chairs at a loss, and for some silly reason we put our trust in La-Z-boy again to make another purchase! This time it was two non-reclining chairs. The experience was no better, and it would seem that despite being assured we would receive two chairs out of the warehouse, one of the chairs was a display floor model (different color shade of material, different stitching). There were other issues with the chairs, which we felt were brushed aside by the technician when he came to our home ...... and by the La-Z-boy store. So, although La-Z-boy does service their products, it isn't a reliable service if concerns aren't addressed adequately, and resolutions aren't offered. Needless to say, we won't risk making another La-Z-boy purchase.

• zippity1
    6 years ago

we have a 15 year old ethan allen recliner that has taken a lot of punishment and we were able to chose upholstry, however, i understand that the quality of ea has declined the same as i've heard lazy-boy has however, we're still very happy with the chair (actually 2 chairs and a sofa)

• creske
    6 years ago

I disagree with allen furniture, we just recently bought a flex steel and at 18 months, the leather is falling apart and the stuffing in the cushions is not holding up and is causing more back problems than it is worth it. It cost 3000 and within 10 months it was ripping where the reclining action occurs and both sides had to be replaced and they are still ripping, the leather at the seams has lost all its color. terrible workmanship

• Delilah66
    6 years ago

I have a Flex Steel recliner from the mid-1980s. Not a stain or rip in the fabric and absolutely nothing wrong with it. Even the color (a medium/light teal color) doesn't date it. That's not to say today's Flex Steel recliners are the same quality unfortunately. I just bought a Palliser recliner. I'll be ecstatic if it lasts 10 years.

• mroark804
    5 years ago

We bought two Lazy Boy recliners in 2001. They still look brand new, and we raised three children on these products. This is furniture we really use. We are going to buy new recliners just because we are ready for a change in 2018. You can beat Lazy Boy will get our business again. You can't beat the quality, comfort, or prices in the long run. I highly recommend Lazy Boy products.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thank you Nicole for link with leather furniture rating . Very informative..and about Lane furniture too! :-))) Each bird likes his own nest best.

• PRO
    designshub
    5 years ago

Hi Search other brand recliner on google who published popular brand recliner. This is one of the helpful article on top 10 recliner in 2018, you may read here.

• J Corn
    5 years ago

Here’s a Houzz thread focused on Flexsteel, with some photos and comments, many from disappointed buyers. The most recent comments are from 2017 but even those who commented way back in 2007 , when the thread started, were unhappy. The photos speak volumes : [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/quality-of-flexsteel-sofas-dsvw-vd~2366432?n=143[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/quality-of-flexsteel-sofas-dsvw-vd~2366432?n=143)

• User
    5 years ago

As noted earlier in this thread, we have a La-Z-Boy reclining loveseat (now over 12 years old) that has never needed any repairs or replacement parts. By comparison, on two separate occasions in recent years we've bought La-Z-Boy chairs (first a pair of recliners, then a pair of gliders), which have proved to be sub-standard. Both types of chair required service calls within a short period after purchase. For the price of the furniture, this is simply unacceptable. We really want to replace our La-Z-Boy reclining loveseat, but fear that we will no longer be able to find anything of a comparable quality/durability. After much research, it would seem that not only La-Z-Boy, but also other formerly reliable brands are unfortunately no longer producing quality furniture. Most people who have commented on a particular brand and its durability have referred to furniture they've had for many years - a testimony of how reliable some of these brands were in the past.

• Linda R
    5 years ago

Assured by four furniture stores that England was a quality
    furniture maker owned by La Z Boy. $3500.00 and a reasonable 30 days later my
    sofa and chair were delivered without the decorative nails/tacks, a back
    cushion 1.5" shorter than the other two back cushions on the three cushion
    sofa, back cushions attached so high on the back of the sofa frame that the
    cushion bottome bowed upwards and did not meet the seat cushions. Leather was
    stretched improperly with no smoothing so there were large wrinkles to force
    fit the frame. There was a scuff and tear in the leather. I suppose that could
    be from England or the transport or the delivery. No one is accepting
    responsibility. My furniture store sent an England repairman out to assess the
    issues. He quietly contemplated it, took pictures and said he would not attempt
    to repair the furniture as it would take too long to fix it. Mind you this is
    brand new unused furniture. My furniture store said England would not allow
    them to return it. They re-ordered another set assuring me England was a good
    company. Another 30 days passed and the new set arrives. This time it has the
    decorative nails/tacks (yay!) but the same improper stretching and wrinkling of
    the leather to force fit the frame, back cushions bowed with too high
    attachment to the back frame so that the zipper welt can be seen where the back
    cushions do not meet the seat cushions. One back cushion is sewn on with a
    lean, one squared corner and one very rounded corner as though they ran out of
    leather. And, another scrape on the leather. Even the delivery men were
    astounded and took pictures. Not believing both sets passed quality control I
    attempted contacting England. I could not find contact info online. Next, I
    contacted La Z Boy and was given a Case number and was requested to write up my
    issues and send pictures. I sent pictures of both sets of furniture with my
    written issues. It has been 2 weeks and all I know is that my case is "in
    review" and repairs will have to be paid for. DO WHAT???? DID I READ THAT
    CUSTOMER SERVICE REPLY CORRECTLY???? I have to pay for repairs to brand new
    furniture that their warranty covers? I am astounded. THIS IS A WARNING TO
    FURNITURE BUYERS. I am seriously considering driving the 2 hours to
    Murfreesboro, TN to La Z Boy Headquarters and creating a media sensation at the
    front entrance. If that does not get response I plan to buy stock and take my
    story and pictures to a stockholders meeting. Surely stockholders will not let
    England continue making shabby leather furniture. THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS! ENGLAND
    FURNITURE IS AWFUL. THEY DO NOT HONOR THEIR WARRANTY ON WORKMANSHIP AND THEIR
    PARENT COMPANY (LA Z BOY) SUPPORTS THEM IN THIS. SHAME ON THEM! SHAME ON THEM!

• User
    5 years ago

Linda R, so sorry to hear of your terrible experience. My experience with La-Z-Boy seems minor by comparison. I would recommend (if you haven't already done so) filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, the FTC and/or Attorney General's Office. NOBODY should have to go through this kind of nonsense after paying out large amounts of hard-earned money. Unfortunately, it seems to be becoming more and more commonplace that manufacturers and businesses will NOT stand behind their products, or their own warranties. Wishing you the best of luck in resolving the problems.

• Randy Lahey
    5 years ago

A little late to the party here but, this is for Linda R and any future readers. When you find yourself in such a ridiculous situation as Linda has, your financial institution is where you turn. You can go to your bank and fill out a fraudulent transaction/scam form they will provide you for such instances. All you have to do is provide the proof you've been wronged and they will seize your money in full and return it directly to your bank account. Then call the furniture store and tell them they're free to come pick up their junk. End of story. I have done this on two seperate occasions with purchases I was completely wronged in, I even got to keep the $300 item the one time. Your bank has got your bank!

• User
    5 years ago

Not always, Randy. Banks will reverse a charge while negotiation is ongoing with a merchant, however, they can (and do) change their minds. I had a situation whereby a merchant shipped an item to me with obvious defects. He then lied about the transaction, and indicated I was willing to accept an "open box" item - even though I had said the opposite in my e-mails to him. Despite supplying my bank with copies of all e-mails & the order form to dispute the business' fraudulent claims, after about 6 weeks or so they went ahead and released the payment to the business. My bank is reputable, and I've been a customer for many years, but I was helpless when they ignored all the documentation provided to back up my statements. If you have a bank that is willing to accept your claims of fraudulent transactions, you are very fortunate! Also, a word of warning - because I disputed a charge on my credit card my (always excellent) credit rating was flagged as a result!