Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggiepie11_gw

altering/enhancing bedding?

maggiepie11
10 years ago

I ADDED AN UPDATE ON JAN 19TH!! SCROLL DOWN!

i'm totally a glutton for punishment. i'm terrible with a sewing machine, but when i can't find what i'm envisioning i go in DIY mode.

i'm looking for bedding for our master bedroom. our whole house is going to be very casual, and our lifestyle is a bit crazy - no ironing sheets (or anything for that matter) in our household! so i'm looking for a big sloppy but beautiful bed cover that we can both sleep with, and just toss on the bed when we get up in the morning. am i dreaming?

we have a king size bed, and DH and i are both equal blanket hogs. i want a comforter that covers more like a bedspread so neither of us is left cold. i want it fluffy, preferably with some ruching or ruffles. i've never done a duvet cover, and am open to one, but i can't find any with extra width?
anyone have experience either embellishing store bought bedspreads? or adding width in some way? or another idea... has anyone tossed 2 queen size comforters on a king size bed? i'm ok with the messy look but don't want it to look like a dorm room either.

love these looks:

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by maggiepie11 on Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 15:00

Comments (17)

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

You could look for a CA King, although the options are in short supply. There would be nothing wrong with buying two of something and using the second to add all around as an edging. The ones you are showing would work this way. I always buy a king for my queen because of what you are going through.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I have an inexpensive Martha Stewart coverlet on my bed and I am looking for something different. Last weekend I ordered. another Martha Stewart that was advertised as a bedspread. I wanted just a few more inches on both sides as the coverlet is not quite long enough. I just put it on my bed today and it feels so nice and is very pretty but it doesn't work for my bed as it is too long on each side. My bed is fairly high off the floor so a bedspread would be more of a coverlet on the bed but this is just too long as it covers too much of the wood. A coverlet is too short, a bedspread is too long. I tried my current coverlet in the king size and it was too long by a few inches.

The bedspread that I have to return is the Martha Stewart Pressed Flowers spread and is available in some pretty colors. I am disappointed that it doesn't work for me but it may be just the ticket for you. It isn't as frilly as the lovely ones you posted but it is a beautiful spread.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I doubt that you'll find those styles, but I believe both Company Store and Cuddledown have "oversized" comforters. I think the duvet/cover I have on my bed is an oversized one from Cuddledown. I have a hard time with coverage, too, because we have a pillowtop mattress plus a featherbed topper, so our mattress is absurdly thick. Ours is a queen, though.

I am glad someone else out there has a messy bed. Mine always, always looks a mess, even when I put effort into it (which isn't often). I'm always amazed when GW folks post pics of their beds and they look picture perfect! Mine is all rumply and bumpy and lopsided...

• chispa
    10 years ago

That is one thing I look forward to when DH is on business trips ...the bed stays so neat! I like the bed all tucked in and barely disturb it when I sleep. DH on the other hand pulls everything out and flings blanket/sheets to the side!

I am having a quilted bedspread made at Calico Corners because I've had a very hard time finding covers that fit a king size bed properly.

• Pieonear
    10 years ago

Try this Amazon link

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A1055398%2Ck%3Aruched%20bedding

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

technicolor: i thought CA Kings were longer, but narrower? i envy your being able to buy a king for your queen size bed!

holly-kay: too bad it didn't work out though because it is pretty. i had a martha stewart coverlet on our last set.

sueb20: i found one i love at cuddledown! i had never heard of oversized comforters. the one i found is unavailable in white of course. argh!! also i should clarify. in my last house, i had the pristine bed setup, but i was a fraud. my bed was unmade 360 days of the year... on the 5 occasions where we might have company, those were the days the bed was put together. :) i'm CAPABLE of a very neat bed, but i don't have the will on a regular basis. lol here's what my bed looked like on visitor days.

chispa - can you tell me more about your custom work at calico corners? another thing i hadn't considered! i love this board!!

mammie, that link took me to a generic amazon page. what was the search you performed? or was there a specific product?

i wish i could go to west elm and lay 2 twins or fulls on a king size bed. many problems with that. i don't have a local store. they don't have king size beds in the store. i'm sure they wouldn't appreciate me doing that! :) so if anyone has pictures of two messy comforters draped on a king, please post!!

let's just pretend i want to torture myself... if i buy 2 king size duvet covers, how would i go about adding width? cut a piece from duvet 2 and attach along one side... do the same on the other side... and maybe line them so they don't look so wimpy? then i'd just have a comforter in the original portion of the duvet? i wish there were a simpler solution to getting what i want!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Chispa, I am the same. When I get out of bed all I need to do is pull the coverlet up, place the pillows with shams on the bed and it's ready for the day. DH tosses and turns so much that he pulls the top sheet out and everything is a tangled mess.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Maggie--your bedroom is just beautiful. But, I agree with you about wanting something easier. I dislike making my bed too.

Watching to see if you find a solution.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I find many duvet covers are sooo big -- even for a king size comforter on my king size bed. And they are convenient and sloppy.

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

camlan i had just found that article as well, thanks for sharing for everyone's sake.

i think that's a great practical solution, but it's not the look i'm going for. i wish they had an example of 2 duvets loosely tossed on instead of the neat fold in half.

i'm so stuck. my 2 options of the moment are:

1) buy 2 king size duvets, and use one to add extra fabric to each side. the result will be a gigantic single cover.

2) buy 2 full/queen duvets, one for each of us, and hope that it looks just the right intentionally messy when tossed over the bed. this option would obviously be easier, but i'm sure not as nice looking at option 1.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

You are asking for a Whole Lotta Extra Work! if you buy two duvets already made and try to put them together. Seriously.
    It is WAY easier to start with flat fabric and either make your own or have it made.
    If you want instructions to make your own from flat fabric let me know, I'd be happy to write it out for you.
    Otherwise, look into custom. There is custom that costs an arm and a leg, then there are seamstresses and people who sew out of their home to make some money that would be very cost effectve.
    Before you consider making it yourself, if you're not comfortable with the sewing machine, check out Craigslist in your area to see if someone is doing custom sewing. Call a local furniture store to see if they have a local workroom doing window treatments.
    If you have a Calico Corners nearby check out what their workroom would charge.
    Go to Joann's and Hobby Lobby and look at the bulletin board or ask the manager for cards of people who do sewing.
    Before you hire someone like that ask to see their work and ask for a reference. Little like hiring someone to hang wallpaper - some people are way more skilled than others.

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mlweaving_Marji... you sound like you know what you're talking about so i'd love to get your thoughts on my plan since i know nothing! haha

first of all, i picked up 2 full size plain white comforters just to see what they look like tossed on the bed and it's terrible. so i've got to go for the single oversized piece route.

here's what i'm thinking:

i'll buy 2 of these duvets (king size)

notice the vertical seams running the full length? let's just say each of those sections between seams is 18"... if i cut 2 of those sections off and add/attach one to the left side of the king duvet and attach one to the right side of the king duvet... then we'll have a king size duvet cover in the middle that we'd stuff with a king size comforter. there'd also be 18" of hanging fabric on either side, that we could line or leave unlined. (probably lined) this style seems to lend itself to do this. i could even add a ruffle where i make my seams if i do a terrible job attaching them. lol

i'm not attempting to create a king size duvet cover by attaching two twins or anything like that... i'm just trying to add on to the non-functional part. the reason i'm not interested in making from scratch is that i'm not skilled enough to do all the ruching, and for a supersized king bed, it'd take a bajillion yards of fabric. :)

what do you think?

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

UPDATE!!

Well, I did it! My mom came over to help sew curtains for my son's bedroom (the one with the bright yellow wingback chair i reupholstered). and when we finished before dinnertime, we decided to tackle the duvet!

I bought 2 of the parachute duvets in King Size from West Elm. I cut off the far left and the far right "sections" created by the vertical seams for ruching. I stuffed those sections with batting. Then we carefully pinned each piece to the uncut king size duvet leaving the center area that accepts the comforter unharmed.

now our "king size" duvet and comforter hits just a couple inches above the floor. it's exactly what i was hoping for, and the project wasn't so bad. and i'm fairly positive buying two duvets from west elm on sale is still a lot cheaper than having custom bedding made, especially custom bedding with all the ruching!

here is the before showing how it just covers the matters. try really hard to ignore the cough drop on the floor and the coat hanger lodged behind the nightstand. :)

and this is one of the strips I cut off the spare duvet cover:

VOILA! I'm so happy I did it!! It's exactly what I wanted.

I can't wait to see our new room come together - I was sad to pack this beauty up and store her away. :)

• chispa
    10 years ago

Well done! They've been selling the deep mattresses for years, but bedding manufacturers have never caught up. Even top sheets labeled as deep, don't have enough width/drop to be fully tucked in on both sides.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

The only altering I do is sewing a flap onto the bottom of the flat sheets for extra tuck-in room. It's just a strip about 2 feet wide and as long as the mattress is wide. That tucks under the mattress so the sheet doesn't pull out during the night.

Although they have super-sized the bottom sheets, most top sheets are not up to tucking in securely and actually reaching to my shoulders with a 14" mattress and a 2-inch memory foam topper.

• nccollen83
    last year

I know this was many years ago but I am so excited to have found this post because it is perfect for what I am dealing with and what I want to do! Thanks so much!