Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delilah66

Inspiration needed for bedroom

Delilah66
10 years ago

I have a DGD who loves everything pink. I must admit it's one of my favorite colors, too, but I don't decorate with it. I plan to use pink sheets and curtains in her guest room that can easily be changed so an adult guest would not feel like Hello Kitty. I could use some help with the furniture though. I traded a queen bed (too large for the room) and got this in the swap

I already have this washstand to use bedside (probably without the towel harp)

this dresser and chest

and this will go over the pink sheets

Any suggestions for integrating the white bed with the oak furniture? I know that use of the "P" word is controversial, but it's not out of my comfort zone to visit BM or SW. I'd rather freshen up that oak than buy new furniture!

Please help inspire me!

This post was edited by javachik on Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 18:19

Comments (9)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Oh I'd hate to see all that quarter sawn oak painted. Can you do a gel stain treatment on the headboard instead?

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Are you in love with the bed you received in the swap? Could you post it on Craigslist and watch for another bed that would fit in better with your other furniture?

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I'm with Annie. Just look at that lovely grain. I wanted so badly to paint an oak china cabinet awhile back but I am so glad I didn't. I just felt like I needed a change but it is actually great just the way it is.

My DD told me today that she wanted to paint the solid oak table and chair set that we bought for our DGS five years ago for Christmas. I encouraged her not to paint it but to do a darker stain if she isn't happy with the medium brown. It is a set for children and they are six and seven now and will be too big for it in a couple of years but it is one of the nicest sets I've seen. It is extremely heavy and looks brand new after hard and daily use. Oak is a great wood!

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Since you like the idea of painted wood, I have no problem either with it. I, personally, think it would be a nice cheerful room and one you'd enjoy having in your home. I had similar furniture and loved the wood but, over time, I grew weary of it and took the plunge and have never regretted it. It makes me happier and all the family who said "don't do it" love it too. L.L.Bean sells the painted ones and they a huge draw, people love them.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I don't think you have to do anything....it all doesn't have to match. The brown comforter will tie in the oak furniture...I think the white headboard adds some interest and breaks up the oak pieces.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

As good as shape as that beautiful oak furniture is in, I'd have a real hard time putting a paint brush to it. Maybe you can sell it and get some other pieces to paint.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I think a few pink accessories, maybe a lamp, pillows, flowers, a small rug, and you are good to go.

Of course, you could also go more pink:

Couldn't resist when reading your comment about Hello Kitty:

• Delilah66
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG, nosoccermom, that HK bed would be right up DGD's alley! Can you image my adult guest's reaction when shown to their bedroom?

The oak furniture only looks good on the outside and it is not family heirloom quality. The washstand is sturdy, but the dresser and chest are not so nice.

I really would like to keep the white bed to lighten up the dreary oak for a little girl. I know, a brown comforter doesn't sound too girly, but it reverses to white and the pink sheets should help. Any suggestions for brightening up the oak furniture? Here is a floor plan. I doubt I'll get a rug and it certainly won't be solid pink! Next to the closet is the highboy chest. The dresser and mirror are to the left of the window. A low bookcase or toy container(s) of some type could fit in the corner between the chest and dresser.

Craigslist has been a bust for twin beds. I've been looking for almost a year for something other than bunk beds or "This End Up" type furniture. Don't get me started on the beds listed with mattress and box springs that cannot be sold without. I've been tempted to pay for the set, load the bed frame up and just drive away leaving them with their old mattress and box springs. The temptation dissolves every time I hear of another Craigslist transaction gone bad where the seller or buyer ends up dead. Yep, 3 times this past year in my area.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

If the dresser isn't that nice, maybe painting with chalk paint would be the way to go.