Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19778555

Experiences with silk-filled comforters?

User
9 years ago

I came across a mention of these while looking for posts that mention Pacific Coast brand allergy-friendly down blankets.

Never heard of silk-filled blankets/comforters before and am curious to know if they live up to their hype in real-world user conditions .... both for usability and washability.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• violetwest
    9 years ago

no direct experience, but I don't think silk is a very warm material and can be kind of clammy; probably a thing that sounds better than it really is. Would like to know, too.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In the process of doing more searching now, and came across several references to the fact that silk does have a natural odor. Supposedly it dissipates in a few hours or days after being removed from packaging, but there are also user complaints about the silk odor remaining. I'm SUPER sensitive to smells/fragrances/odors of all kinds and so am now thinking that maybe silk isn't the best choice for me after all....

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

Silk comforters are stuffed with silk as it comes out of the cocoon. It looks like big cotton balls. It is stretched on a rack the size of the comforter that is being made. When it reaches the desired fullness, it is encased in a cotton cover. Then the new owner usually puts it into a duvet cover. I bought mine near Shanghai a few years ago. We watched the process at the factory. It is warm and cozy. It is not meant to be washed. It gets hung out in warm sunlight for a few hours several times a year. I wash the duvet cover when needed. I have never notices a smell. Nor did the factory smell. I would have noticed an unpleasant smell.

• Skypathway1
    9 years ago

We bought ours recently when we were in China - we love it. It's warm but very lightweight. All the hotels we stayed in used silk filled comforters.

I'm extremely sensitive to fragrances and scents - I only buy fragrance and scent free products, no perfume. No gas stove (can't stand the smell of the gas) and am careful to limit products I use. I too was concerned with the potential of a silk smell but I haven't smelled anything at all.

This post was edited by Skypathway1 on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 20:59

• VinceCarner
    9 years ago

Basically, they are warmer compared to cotton-filled comforters and has an elegant feel. Also, it tends to be less allergenic compared to other natural fibers so it goes well with people sensitive to goose down like me.

• igloochic
    9 years ago

Omg I am LOVING my silk comforter. A true china silk comforter is hand stretched silk coming from a twin silk worm cocoon (about 30% of natural cocoons are eligible to be made into comforters). They do not have a bad scent. They are super lightweight yet produce a wonderfully warm blanket when woven together the right way. If you throw it in the washer you will be out a great deal of money :). But if you maintain it correctly you have a 20 year comforter you will never regret purchasing.

I bought one in China and have ordered six more for our other rooms. There is nothing better to sleep under :). Btw I have a coverlet over it and just leave the silk encased in a simple silk cover as you would receive it at purchase. I didn't go for the two grand silk duvet lol. But I wanted to.....

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

Interesting! Have you purchased from a website? Which one?

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I had one and did not like it. Maybe it was cheap? It was MUCH hotter than down.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

I do not have one but have always been curious about them.
    I know here in Canada our costco has them about twice a year when a kiosk is set up to sell them.
    I might have a closer look next time.
    I too would like to know where online you purchased from igloochick

• kimberlyrkb
    9 years ago

I have seen them at costco as well. I can't remember the brand but there are lots of reviews on that same brand on amazon. If I recall correctly the reviews were quite mixed. Personally I can't have anything that can't be frequently washed due to allergies and pets so I haven't tried them.

• Skypathway1
    9 years ago

Mine came with the protective cover - probably the same everyone else's came with.

However, I added an Dust Mite and Allergen-Proof Comforter Cover so that I can wash that on a weekly basis and protect the silk.

• homepro01
    9 years ago

Consider buying one from a reputable retailer or maker. I don't have a silk comforter but I am considering it for a replacement of a down comforter in one of my bedrooms. The silk comforter has no smell associated with it and it is really warm. I am very sensitive to smells. I saw one at a local retailer a recently. That particular brand, Kumi Kookoon, is really expensive but totally beautiful. I am going to purchase the Silk Comforter from Dewoolfson down. I purchased all my down pillows and comforters from them in the past.
    Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dewoolfson Silk