Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lefleur1_gw

100 percent polyester fabric?

lefleur1
10 years ago

I have a sample of a perfect color upholstery fabric (Maxwell) but it is 100 per cent polyester ~~ which I have always heard was a *no no* because it wasn't comfortable to sit on... but..but it feels very smooth to the touch, not to mention it's the perfect color (sigh)

I really wish I could find something that is all heavy-weight cotton like I originally had ~~ well, actually, I STILL have & it shows no wear at all after many, many years (another sigh) however, I want a new color scheme. Why oh why is an all-cotton upholstery fabric so hard to find.

Any suggestions?

Comments (3)

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Polyesters are not what they used to be. If it feels good and is the right weight and color go for it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

It may work fine. Microfibers are all synthetic and they wear like iron. If you're not sure, talk to your upholsterer to make sure it's the right weight, won't stretch, good durability and stain resistance and can work for the welting.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I too am so discouraged.
    Yesterday I went fabric shopping for velvets. I looked through tons of books, from Kravet to Fabricut to Stout and beyond.
    Most of the velvets are 100% poly.
    I don't want a poly velvet. I found one, Mitchell, that is cotton.
    Poly's may have come a long way, but they are still an oleophyllic fiber. I want a tightly woven cellulose. I'd be happy with rayon/cotton blend, or all cotton.

Annie, the original microfibers in upholstery were nylons. I think they're making a microfiber poly now too, but the ones we think of as wearing like iron are nylon - which is pretty indestructible. And nylons don't absorb oils like poly does. Have you ever gotten an oil stain on a polyester blouse? It will never ever come out. I can't imagine telling my hubby "no eating chips or popcorn on the sofa because we'll end up with little oil dot stains all over".
    And regardless what they say, IMO poly velvet is going to be hot to sit on in the summer and clammy in the winter.

Rant over. I've found some cotton and cotton/rayon blend velvets on the internet, so now it looks like I'm going to be ordering swatches.
    Good luck lefleur1. It's a tough search out there. Between keeping price points down and the fact that the US has virtually ceased all cotton production, we're screwed.

This post was edited by mlweaving_Marji on Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 8:54