Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

Collected, vintage, salvaged, guest bedroom.

I recently posted pictures of my finished guest bedroom on the Smaller Homes forum. I had originally posted there, asking for opinions on storage options, but I'll x-post the pictures here for the folks who like vintage, homey, comfortable style. Warning--country, cottage, overly-sweet decor ahead. =P

As for a theme, I suppose it is mostly an homage to my strong female ancestors--I built this room from the studs out, and it contains quilts stitched by my mother, grandmother, and great aunts by marriage. There are items that belonged to my grandmother, then my aunt, and now me. Over the years I've collected, and protected, pieces that I wanted to use in this room, including trim from a Victorian dresser, 30 year old inexpensive furniture which I'd used in my children's nursery, and a curbside changing table that I refurbished for my grandson's nursery.

The cradle was crafted by my dear FIL before my first child was born. There's an antique sewing rocker given to me by my mother, a bed I found on craigslist, and an industrial swing stool that I've turned into a side table. I re-purposed a bathroom vanity that was in the house when we bought it 20 years ago, hung a painting from Goodwill above the bed, and used some weathered antique shutters that my mother and sister dragged home from a flea market 15 years ago.

After I finished construction on the room, I realized that it would be perfect for a hobby/work room. The dormer could house a loom or quilting frame, the beds could hold bolts of fabric, and rolls of ribbon and spools of thread could be stored on the shallow shelves. Or, the room could be used as an art studio, with an easel set up in the dormer, stretched canvasses stored in the beds, and paints and brushes on the shelves. It could be used for homeschooling, or a playroom, or ...

My daughter and her new husband are currently occupying the room. She's added a new rug and an antique German trunk that was a gift from my mother. (The cradle is displayed for pictures only--they have no announcements to make at this time.) ;)

{{gwi:1876075}}

{{gwi:1876076}}

{{gwi:2137681}}

{{gwi:1876078}}

Original thread in Smaller Homes.

Inspiration pic. Click on it then scroll for more of my inspiration and idea album.

And this last pic is for anyone who might be reading, who helped me when I asked about china storage and display in my dining room last year. My mother gave me some old canning jars, so this was my spring and summer arrangement. I like the contrast between the rough, utilitarian canning jars and the fine china and silver.

*Edited to remove wonky link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Guest room album with the process and captions.

This post was edited by mama_goose on Sun, Nov 30, 14 at 18:09

Comments (17)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Really, really cute! LOVE the painted white floor!

One thing? I think I'd turn the bed so that it's under the windows. I think that will add to the quaintness of that room, while also making it easier for each person to get out of the bed.

Thoroughly charming room. Love the beadboard behind the shelves and the old cab hardware below.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Mama goose, I love it. You have a beautiful room there and your daughter and her husband are blessed to have such a warm and inviting room to stay in.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I love your closets/bunk beds! Great idea.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, thank you. I originally planned to place the bed under the windows, then I decided to build in the book cases on that wall. Also read that one should be able to see the bedroom door from the bed--something about feng shui and a subconscious feeling of disquiet. My DD is planning to add blocks to make the bed higher, for storage underneath. She mentioned turning the bed at that time.

holly-kay, thank you, we are now calling it the honeymoon suite.

Thank you, mntrd, my DD and SIL are now using the beds as His&Hers closets.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Well, I would love to stay in that room. It is absolutely charming.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I would lightly torment someone for that quilt. Great room!

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

Mama Goose, how beautiful, warm and inviting! The care and attention to detail is amazing. Fantastic job.

This post was edited by nutsaboutplants on Sun, Nov 30, 14 at 19:09

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

Very pretty, lots of personality and so welcoming!
    Diane

• Olychick
    9 years ago

What a sweet, but not overly sweet room! I love your vintage tree as posted on the tree thread, too. Hard to believe it could be in the way of your guests!

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Really homey and charming. You did a great job!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

What a lovely, sunny room! I love how you have incorporated storage space for your special items yet made it cozy and liveable and uncluttered.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Very pretty, and the bed nook looks so cozy!

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Pretty. Warm. Inviting. Utterly charming. Those were my thoughts as I glanced through your pics. That, and how lucky for any guests staying there. Big congrats on a fantastic project, Mama Goose!
    Lynn

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all very much. I've been planning this room for 6+ years. It's in an addition that we had framed in 2008, above a gathering room that I've posted about before. We had to break through the old roof line, necessitating the short hallway/vestibule that you'll see in a couple of the pics.

The crew who was framing didn't exactly share my vision for the storage spaces tucked under the eaves and in the corners, so I've had to rework some of their "No one will ever see this, or if they do we'll be long gone" building techniques.

I commented on another thread that before my DD & SIL took over the room, I spent several sunny afternoons sitting in the rocking chair, admiring the tree and enjoying the feeling of accomplishment. The newlyweds are very happy up there, in their own little world. :)

• sis2two
    9 years ago

What a charming room! I love the way you have decorated and used things that have so much meaning to you.

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

I've just been looking through all the pics on that link, MG. The nightstand/table on the swing-arm hinge is brilliant! The idea process behind this room, as well as the pics of the actual building of it is fascinating and inspiring to see. Thanks again for sharing it all with us!
    Lynn
    P.S. Your daughter is lovely!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sis2two, thank you very much.

Lynn, thank you, I like finding a new way to use something old. Thank you for the compliment to my DD. I agree. She doesn't care for that picture--no makeup, and her hair wasn't brushed. I didn't notice--what I see (and love) are the expressions on their faces as they look at each other.