Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cobbyw_gw

PLEASE Help with furniture placement in family room

cobbyw
9 years ago

Open concept kitchen, living, and dining. I'm not sure how to place furniture and tv. I' d like either two sofas and two chairs or one sofa and 4 chairs. Should TV go on wall as one enters home of opposite wall? Thank you as I am stumped. I can add or move windows also.

Comments (12)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd do two full-size sofas and one chair (two if you have the room), in an L, first sofa in the center of the room, facing what looks like a loveseat in your diagram, pulled in a bit from the hallway, console table behind it for lamps and knickknacks. Second sofa with its back to the wall that is the bathroom, left arm touching the right arm of the other sofa, square table set in there.

Chair in SE corner, at an angle.

LARGE coffee table.

This arrangement is common, but it is for a reason.
    TV mounted on articulating arm on the wall where the loveseat is now.

• cobbyw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had not even thought to put TV on the front wall. Would the light from windows and front door (partial glass) impact viewing at all? I feel like I have had a bad glare from windows before which I why I primarily focused on TV on the exterior wall and wall at entry.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I can't tell where windows are in the drawing, but yes, you don't want a tv facing windows, esp. depending on which way the windows face. For instance, if they face west, sun will come in later in the day, when you might be more inclined to be watching TV. If east, not so.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Where is the door in the LR leading to? Do you have a picture of the room? The LR has 1 window for the entire room?

• cobbyw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The door into the living room is the front door which comes off the screen porch. The living room is open to dining and kitchen. House is not yet built. I think I will add another window now behind current sofa position. This is a house at the beach.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I moved your exterior window on the wall where the door is down just a little towards the wall.

Here is one idea. It also creates more of an entry by having the sofa along the entry.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here you can see it from a different angle.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Sorry, for all of the separate posts.

• cobbyw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow.....that is awesome! Thank you for your suggestions!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

No reason to add another window. It's only going to interfer with the TV. Here's layout, but I shortened the sofa a bit.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Cobbyw, check your email.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Just fair warning. Having built a home, while moving windows for interior design purposes is easy to do, from an architectural point of view, the exterior and the interior must be considered at the same time. Otherwise you can end up with a real mishmash on the outside.